Options

Can someone explain Scott?

Comments

• Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Twitter he retweeted a few people saying the judges are harsh and that he dances like a normal person and should be commended for trying. With all due respect, they are there to be judged and their word means more than people on Twitter who are feeling sorry for scott. The sympathy vote is definitely in full swing.

I don't understand why being judged would bother you. Yes, Craig can be harsh, but he is also honest.
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Twitter he retweeted a few people saying the judges are harsh and that he dances like a normal person and should be commended for trying. With all due respect, they are there to be judged and their word means more than people on Twitter who are feeling sorry for scott. The sympathy vote is definitely in full swing.

I don't understand why being judged would bother you. Yes, Craig can be harsh, but he is also honest.

If by "normal" he means people with no dance training, then he's still awful! I went to a wedding recently and there was no-one on the dance floor with as little rhythm and musicality as Scott., and I'm including the Dad dancing in that. Those with no rhythm and two left feet were probably sat watching!
  • Options
    coppertop1coppertop1 Posts: 4,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    primer wrote: »
    i agree its not his fault he's not very good, and my thought was that he seems traumatised.... although i did find his back stage comments odd where he definitely seemed to be veering into craig kelly territory....:o

but equally i don't think its his partner's fault and there's no point crucifying her either... calling her a 'spoilt disney princess' is no more and no less of an empty projection than anyone who labels scott as not making an effort.

although i agree she isn't doing the best job with someone not only lacking basic / innate ability to move but who also turn out to be crashingly insecure, but that would probably always be difficult for anyone new to the show. i'm also fairly sure she didn't demand that he was dressed as a crab and i could see in the AS they both tried to do something much more contained and basic in terms of a simple but solid steps.

if people have taken against him unfairly, then it also seems people have taken against her for no real reason, it is only week 3 in the job, and who could have known that scott would turn out to be quite so fragile, i suspect even he didn't know it (a bit like gregg wallace).

i vividly remember the vitriol poured on natalie when she started, and then on aliona, and on karen, i guess she's next. sad, really.
    I am not crucifying her however I have not seen anything about her I would want to see again.

". From Grimsby is not a personality trait " no matter how much the BBC seem to want us to think it is

Things that have also really annoyed me, her choreography is poor, her Disney princess practice dresses, thrusting her fingers in her mouth like a toddler when awaiting the results.

Her little girl way of speaking, I am not talking about her pitch because I too have been cursed with a high soft voice. I however say things that make people see me a grown up not a child.

But most of all, Scott is miserable, you can tell a lot from how a pro deals with a duffer, I think I prefer Kristina with a duffer , with a contender she gets a bit hard , she was kind and supportive and did some charming routines with John Sargent.
    Ditto Iveta with Johnny Ball and Aliona with Tony Jackin Natalie with Michael Vaughan and Ola with Kenny,

It bears repeating Joanne is almost 31, 1 year younger than Ola is now, 3 years younger than Natalie, the same age as Kristina was with John.

She needs to acknowledge his terror , work with his dance and performance skills limited as they are, and try to choreograph something he can do he can be proud of. If she can manage that and behave as an adult not a putative Disney princess I MAY change my mind.

By the way I haven't changed my mind over Karen, still a poor choreograph ,
    , TTF only claim to fame is he is not Abroad"
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've wondered too what's going through Scott's mind when he stands in front of the judges, to the point where I've questioned if he's really not such a nice guy.

My take is he tries really hard and even though he's a dreadful dancer, he thinks his effort should be acknowledged with positive and/or encouraging comments. Fair enough, as long as scores are fair. But I think he hated dressing up as a crab and does not like being the source of amusement full stop. Maybe he can dish it out, but not take it back?

But two questions crossed my mind.

1. Does he have reason to dislike Craig? i.e. Is there history there?
    2. Is Joanne giving him the wrong impression about his progress in training?

I think he emanates bad feeling when he's listening to Craig and if he's delivering on the dance floor what Joanne is praising in the training room, then I feel sorry for Scott.

He may be another Craig Kelly, but I never got bad vibes from Craig. It's a bit uncomfortable to watch tbh.
  • Options
    FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coppertop1 wrote: »
    I am not crucifying her however I have not seen anything about her I would want to see again.

". From Grimsby is not a personality trait " no matter how much the BBC seem to want us to think it is

Things that have also really annoyed me, her choreography is poor, her Disney princess practice dresses, thrusting her fingers in her mouth like a toddler when awaiting the results.

Her little girl way of speaking, I am not talking about her pitch because I too have been cursed with a high soft voice. I however say things that make people see me a grown up not a child.

But most of all, Scott is miserable, you can tell a lot from how a pro deals with a duffer, I think I prefer Kristina with a duffer , with a contender she gets a bit hard , she was kind and supportive and did some charming routines with John Sargent.
    Ditto Iveta with Johnny Ball and Aliona with Tony Jackin Natalie with Michael Vaughan and Ola with Kenny,

It bears repeating Joanne is almost 31, 1 year younger than Ola is now, 3 years younger than Natalie, the same age as Kristina was with John.

She needs to acknowledge his terror , work with his dance and performance skills limited as they are, and try to choreograph something he can do he can be proud of. If she can manage that and behave as an adult not a putative Disney princess I MAY change my mind.

By the way I haven't changed my mind over Karen, still a poor choreograph ,
    , TTF only claim to fame is he is not Abroad"

Must admit, this derogatory Disney princess theme repeatedly brought up is lost on me. Iveta wears dresses like that in rehearsal too, perhaps ones that are far more, daring shall I say, particularly on ballroom routines, does that make her one too? I find it quite nice they do that, Anton and Kevin do that too and I remember Katya used to do that for ballroom dances during her time on the show. Rather traditional in a way.

The problem I have is that I'm actually quite certain Joanne is acknowledging his shortcomings, nerves and terror for better or worse, we just don't happen to see it from her side because the show has decided to go for Scott and 'his proper famous mates' route. I can see her choreography is trying to cater to his pitfalls but it's just not happening because Scott can't pull it off on the night.

Not only that, while I've seen others say on the contrary, she herself has maybe said about five to ten full sentences on the show maybe? Perhaps if she'd been a pro longer or felt her position as comfortable she might behave differently on the live shows and stick her neck out more, but I'm sure if she came out kicking and scream that wouldn't be seen kindly either.

He's still canvassing for votes, so still wants to be there, but I think he just doesn't have the determined streak in him to fight back because he's used to probably getting much of his own way and isn't happy that the judges aren't coddling him. But I definitely see improvement though, it's just not as drastic as say, Thom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely haven't heard enough from Joanne to make up my mind about her, but at the moment the scales are tipping slightly towards 'gets on my nerves' - even though I can't say why! :D

Surprised to hear Scott is still touting for votes. Mmm. He's either trying to stick two fingers up to the judges by staying in the competition courtesy of the public vote, or despite crippling nerves on the live show, he's having a whale of a time. I suspect it's the first, but maybe we'll hear what he has to say on ITT.
  • Options
    mad_madge_morrimad_madge_morri Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I' glad that someone else (OP) doesn't know him either. I'm a radio4 extra devotee. I can't get this chap either. he has killers eyes, but an angelic smile People who listen to him, tell me that he is hilarious and has a dry quick wit.
    I have no idea why people are voting for him, I expect its his fans or, the John Sergeant effect maybe? So bad he's amazing? Who knows?
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely haven't heard enough from Joanne to make up my mind about her, but at the moment the scales are tipping slightly towards 'gets on my nerves' - even though I can't say why! :D

Surprised to hear Scott is still touting for votes. Mmm. He's either trying to stick two fingers up to the judges by staying in the competition courtesy of the public vote, or despite crippling nerves on the live show, he's having a whale of a time. I suspect it's the first, but maybe we'll hear what he has to say on ITT.

It could just be that he is in the middle of a compulsory enjoyment nightmare, where he has to carry on like someone who wants to stay while scouting round for the emergency exit.

Does anyone really vote because a celeb wheels out a famous friend/relative or a pro (Side eye to Janette) makes the phone hand and pleading face over their phone number on show night?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be that.

Must admit I only like the 'please phone' bit where the pro has the co-ordination spot on when the graphics come on the bottom of the screen! :D
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taking criticism in public especially when it's deserved is never easy for the staunchest of pros as demonstrated many times by James and Brendan in the past. I think Scott was shell shocked on Saturday because he forgot the routine. There wasn't anything anyone could have done to dig him out of that hole but he managed it himself.

Joanne is an accomplished dancer and is doing a good job with Scott. Karen is right when she identifies the producers as being responsible for sending him down the comedy road and when you factor in his innate lack of musicality he is probably every bit as bad Greg ability wise. Scott was the one who pleaded for the reassurance that he was improving every week and the judges gave it to him when the reality was that he was shite on the dance floor.

I can remember all the nasty and spiteful things that were said about Janette last year. How wrong those people were. We will be in a better position to judge Joanne's teaching next year - providing she is not saddled with another duffer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must admit, this derogatory Disney princess theme repeatedly brought up is lost on me. Iveta wears dresses like that in rehearsal too, perhaps ones that are far more, daring shall I say, particularly on ballroom routines, does that make her one too? I find it quite nice they do that, Anton and Kevin do that too and I remember Katya used to do that for ballroom dances during her time on the show. Rather traditional in a way.

The problem I have is that I'm actually quite certain Joanne is acknowledging his shortcomings, nerves and terror for better or worse, we just don't happen to see it from her side because the show has decided to go for Scott and 'his proper famous mates' route. I can see her choreography is trying to cater to his pitfalls but it's just not happening because Scott can't pull it off on the night.

Not only that, while I've seen others say on the contrary, she herself has maybe said about five to ten full sentences on the show maybe? Perhaps if she'd been a pro longer or felt her position as comfortable she might behave differently on the live shows and stick her neck out more, but I'm sure if she came out kicking and scream that wouldn't be seen kindly either.

He's still canvassing for votes, so still wants to be there, but I think he just doesn't have the determined streak in him to fight back because he's used to probably getting much of his own way and isn't happy that the judges aren't coddling him. But I definitely see improvement though, it's just not as drastic as say, Thom.

Iveta's practice outfits are a thing of wonder for me, where does she get them? They are not Disney princess though, they are completely and utterly tacky bless her, some how they suit her. Leopard spotted leotard anyone ?

The canvassing for votes has been covered many times in this thread.

Why are you sure Joanne is telling him of his problems and choreographing to accommodate this,?if you mean that would be the sensible thing to do I entirely agree.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Scott is a bit shell-shocked and overly nervous, so when it comes to the criticism, he knows he has to accept it, but isn't sure how to react. I think it would help if Joanne could break the tension of the judges negative comments if she could make some kind of joke about it, like Anton does. I know some people think Anton has been cruel by making jokes about his partners, but I think it can add a touch of much needed levity, at a very tense time.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Tim said the judges were cruel, but that there was sense and advice in what they said so he didn't get upset about it. Scott seems to take what they say as a personal insult rather than as advice and you can see he's angry at what they say.

Seems to me that the judges haven't mastered the fact that comments should encourage a person by emphasising the good bits, and just gently point out the bad and advising what can be done to put those right. But then perhaps they can't find any good bits to encourage with Scott.

He should have gone a couple of weeks ago, but maybe this week................
  • Options
    MayDMayD Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    Tim said the judges were cruel, but that there was sense and advice in what they said so he didn't get upset about it. Scott seems to take what they say as a personal insult rather than as advice and you can see he's angry at what they say.

Seems to me that the judges haven't mastered the fact that comments should encourage a person by emphasising the good bits, and just gently point out the bad and advising what can be done to put those right. But then perhaps they can't find any good bits to encourage with Scott.

Revel Horwood must be the one with the hard centre >:(

Some of his comments (about Judy in particular) cross the line. Saying she looks like she has rigor mortis and comparing another dancer to Judy is not on.

2@
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »

I think that there's a difference between false praise and acknowledging that someone is putting in the effort and working at it even though they are still pants. Once you cut through the unteachable and bizarre comments from the judges, his advice to work with was go watch some men dance who are really good at it, because that not going to make you feel worse.

It must be quite hard for Joanne as well, she will spend all week building up his confidence to get him out and dancing, and then the judges undo all her work and she has to start all over again.

Honestly, if I were in Scott's position, I'd do the bare minimum to get by now. He could go and hand jive in the audience and his comments/scores and leaderboard position would be no different, so no point working himself up into a blue funk over it really.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not camp? Erm, beg to differ. He's just a box ticking DJ for the BBC and this show has proved it!

Not funny in a bad way? The lobster ( Not crab FFS!! >:(>:( ) dance was hilarious!

And at least he put effort in unlike Tim who just walked around stage not at all bothered. So you can't say he deserved to go this week.

Scott himself said he was meant to be a crab, as did Joanne, Sebastian is indeed a crab (although he does look like a lobster!) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_(Disney)
  • Options
    Nigel_BourneNigel_Bourne Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Scott doesn't even seem to be trying!
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MayD wrote: »
    Revel Horwood must be the one with the hard centre >:(

Some of his comments (about Judy in particular) cross the line. Saying she looks like she has rigor mortis and comparing another dancer to Judy is not on.

2@

If they rename the show 'Dancing with dead people' Anton might stand a chance.

:D
  • Options
    MayDMayD Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they rename the show 'Dancing with dead people' Anton might stand a chance.

:D

In other news

That's not very nice
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MayD wrote: »
    In other news

That's not very nice

Twas a joke.
  • Options
    jennywxyjennywxy Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    In the first week when Scott was criticised he said that the judges 'must have been watching another dance.' He hasn't got any better since, he comes across as totally arrogant and really, really needs to go.
  • Options
    Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    I still think it takes some sort of courage to be so nervous about doing something, to know you are bad at it, to know you are going to be ridiculed for it and yet still put the work in to improve. Compulsory corporate enjoyment, eh? Must be ... fun?

This. It is always difficult to carry on when you know you aren't the best at something nor have much hope of so being, but to do that on a show like Strictly must be doubly hard.

He's contracted, he has a job to do, he's doing it.
  • Options
    tortoisepersontortoiseperson Posts: 3,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never heard (or heard of, before this) Scott - what is his "persona"? because he seems remarkably devoid of personality so far. Petulance is not enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On his radio show he is bright sparky self depreciating and witty, on Strictly he is bewildered and hurt,.

If you really want to know what he is like listen to him on the radio where he is happy doing a job he loves
  • Options
    Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coppertop1 wrote: »
    On his radio show he is bright sparky self depreciating and witty, on Strictly he is bewildered and hurt,.

If you really want to know what he is like listen to him on the radio where he is happy doing a job he loves

I tried listening to some of his show today. Mistake!

Personality?

Charisma?

Witty?

Not when I was listening I'm afraid.