How much rent to charge 18 year old??

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyyleer wrote: »
    It just sounds like to me your being a bit harsh on the boy. He's soon finishing college and is already working part time and as soon as he goes full time your already starting to charge him rent?

Yes, that's what I'm going to do - it tends to happen in the real world;):D
    johnny_t wrote: »
    I always believed a third of your take home was the right answer to this question.

It won't necessarily cover your costs (though it might), but it will get him used to the idea of 'the real world' for when he moves out...

Thanks - will discuss it with him and go along the lines of a percentage or third of take home
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    johnny_t wrote: »
    I always believed a third of your take home was the right answer to this question.

It won't necessarily cover your costs (though it might), but it will get him used to the idea of 'the real world' for when he moves out...
    Yep, a third is about right.

I paid my parents a third, even when I was on the dole.

I also paid for utilities I used a lot, eg. the phone bill.

In fact I still do, even though I moved out 20 years ago.
  • PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,419
    Forum Member
    deleted.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say a percentage, with a cap so he doesnt end up contributing more than anyone else :D

I can't remember exactly how much my parents took in rent, but the fact they did take a contribution stood me in good stead when I later went on to pay for a home of my own. I thank them for having me and my siblings contribute, I think not charging your children rent when they have an income is tantamount to neglect :p;)

My parents were very fair too. Anything they didnt spend on bills was repaid as surplus every few months. It was always a nice surprise, never taken for granted.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you should do what you feel upon reflection is right for both you and your son, given the totality of both your and your son's circumstances.

Don't decide simply on the basis of what anyone on here happens to think, because resentful small-minded people will give resentful, small-minded answers; and the "away with the fairies types", likewise will give completely unrealistic ones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    I think you should do what you feel upon reflection is right for both you and your son, given the totality of both your and your son's circumstances.

Don't decide simply on the basis of what anyone on here happens to think, because resentful small-minded people will give resentful, small-minded answers; and the "away with the fairies types", likewise will give completely unrealistic ones.

Hahaha. I have to wonder which category I fall into here :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    I payed £50 a week in the mid noughties and I thought it was fair. Plus I contributed to food.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks - the percentage idea seems fair. I suppose it will be best to wait and see what his take home pay will actually be and go from there.

I expect I will be feeding him, doing washing etc:rolleyes::D

I still feel a bit guilty taking his money as some of my friends don't but on the other hand he needs to learn the value of money:)

At 18, he should be "doing washing, etc" himself. Before 18 even.
  • krytenkkrytenk Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents charged both my sister and I a third of our take home pay as soon as we started ful time work, plus we did all our own washing and ironing. That was back in the early 90s, but I think that was / is a fair amount.
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was last at home, which was about 8 years ago, my parents charged me £300 a month, which was I thought was fair in relation to my income. I also did the weekly shop every other week and various chores. Tyleer, I'm not sure why you are so surprised at the OP's actions. If her son didn't have the luxury of a parental home, as a many people don't, he would be forking out a hell of a lot more with none of the home comforts. He's not a toddler, he should learn the value of money now, so when he's faced with the big wide world, it won't bite him on the ass!
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Give the boy a break! You shouldn't be charging him rent at 18! If my mum done that to me i would be so shocked! We're still only young.. Don't you think it's weird that none of his other friends are having to pay rent? I don't know any of my friends at that age that have to pay rent.

18 year olds want the privileges of being an adult, but with privilege comes responsibility-paying your way.

However, if you think that's harsh, fine. No cars, no pubs, no clubs, no smoking: after all, in your words, you're 'still only young'! :rolleyes:
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eduble wrote: »
    £20 a week?

Agreed. My parents only took £10 a week off me when I was working from 16-18 and then afterwards when on the dole.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,820
    Forum Member
    My very first job was on a YTS earning £30 a week. I gave a tenner to my mum and had £20 for myself. It was the most money I'd ever had. My first week's wages all got blown on a bottle of vodka, a new top, a bus pass,a night down the Ritz and a Queen cassette.

Those were the days
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    I paid 20% of my earnings as soon as I left school and got a job. I also did my fair share of household chores and bought things for the home as and when needed.

I'm surprised to hear some parents don't charge their adult children anything :eek: I wouldn't have dreamed of expecting my Mum to keep me for nothing, my conscience wouldn't allow it for a start.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Ive never paid rent at home, but the entire time i was there i was in full time education (with a weekend job).

Personally i wouldn't charge him anything whilst he is just working part time, but when he is full time then 20-30% of his income seems fair. Unless he is saving up for his own place or something like that, then i wouldn't charge anything
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never paid rent when I've lived at home, and I'd never make my kids pay rent either. I think it's important that they can save up enough money to be able to move out sooner.

I think this idea of charing a percentage is absolutely ludicrous. A third of your take home pay? What happens if you get a pay rise? Where does that extra go? Caviare?

Bunkum and rot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 17, still go to college 16 hours a week and already give my Mum £50 a month. Doesn't sound much considering I earn £350ish through working part time but completely understand how in years to come I'll long for the times when I only paid £50 a month in rent and not 10 times that amount or more. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    I've never paid rent when I've lived at home, and I'd never make my kids pay rent either. I think it's important that they can save up enough money to be able to move out sooner.

I think this idea of charing a percentage is absolutely ludicrous. A third of your take home pay? What happens if you get a pay rise? Where does that extra go? Caviare?

Bunkum and rot.

I think it would largely depend on the financial situation of the parents.

My Mum was a single parent on low wages. Once I reached a certain age child benefit and tax credits stopped. I had a job and was living at home so it was only fair that I made a contribution. It wasn't set in stone that I had to pay 'x'% of my wages. In my first job I was bringing home approx £600 a month, so about £150 seemed fair considering the gas and electric, etc. that I used while living there, as well as contributing to the rent and council tax to ease the burden on my Mum. I couldn't wait to get a job so I could help her out after watching her struggle all the time while I was growing up. It still left me with plenty of money to play with and save if I wanted to.

If it had been different, say I had 2 parents on good money, their own home so no rent to pay, I might have got away with paying less keep. But I still think it's only fair to pay your way at home once you are in a position to. It taught me to budget and pay my way in life, it wasn't such a big shock once I moved out and got my own place. Especially as I wouldn't have been able to expect my Mum to pick up the tab if I got in to financial difficulty later on.
  • CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been paying £120 since I was 16. May be paying more once I have a job...
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Give the boy a break! You shouldn't be charging him rent at 18! If my mum done that to me i would be so shocked! We're still only young.. Don't you think it's weird that none of his other friends are having to pay rent? I don't know any of my friends at that age that have to pay rent.
    At that age, myself and plenty of my friends had to move to the city for uni. We had to pay full rent, all bills, buy food etc and most of us did it by having part time jobs. It was a shock to the system at first but you soon learn to live on cheap food so you can save your money for a night out :D 18 is not too young to contribute to the household and if you are lucky enough to still be able to live with parents and only pay a % of your wage, it's a good deal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    If I had children I wouldn't charge them rent or whatever else you want to class it as. They're my kids not my tenants, so what if they're 18 now? I'd want them to understand money, learn indepdence etc etc, but charging rent doesn't do that.
  • QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was at home, my first pay packet was all mine and then I paid £30 a week. I did my own washing and did my own meals (mainly because I did shift work so was easier to cater for myself). I also washed the cars and mowed the lawn. Didn't seem overly harsh at the time but I was already doing washing and other household chores from the age of about 10 anyway - which again did me a favour. A lot of my friends also had to do household chores so I didn't feel hard done by, felt it was the "norm". How times have changed. I swear my nephew doesn't even know what a hoover is let alone know where the on switch is lol.
  • cardiffstecardiffste Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Yep, a third is about right.

I paid my parents a third, even when I was on the dole.

I also paid for utilities I used a lot, eg. the phone bill.

In fact I still do, even though I moved out 20 years ago.

My parents charged me from the day i started working - i used to pay them a third, save a third and spend a third. I didtn get charged for bills tho but i used to have to share in the household chores too which was good at it taught me how to iron and cook etc.

Paying a third to live at home is fair in my eyes - much less than it would be to live in rented accomodation or house share.
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ardwark wrote: »
    So when do you stop freeloading and pay your way in life Tyyleer?

Exactly. The rule round here with similar aged people and children actually seems to be 33% of take home pay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would go for a 1/4 of his take home, plus charge for any phone calls. Does he do any chores around the house? Does he do his own washing or cooking or anything? IF not, it might be time for him to learn so when he goes out in the big wide world he can manage to fend for himself!

Well done to him for getting a full time job out of college! Sounds like you have a lot to be proud of OP.