Had the runs for a week

Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
Forum Member
✭✭
a bit too much info I know but am worried!:eek:

Had sore ears/nose/throat for 2 wks but the above is beyond the pale :o

Is it a bug anyone know? Feel stupid going to the doctor and thought of getting something over the counter but if its a bug then it might stop me getting rid of it if you know what I mean.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member

Is it a bug anyone know? Feel stupid going to the doctor and thought of getting something over the counter but if its a bug then it might stop me getting rid of it if you know what I mean.

So you've been sick for a fortnight and feel stupid about going to a doctor. :confused:
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I had the runs for 2 weeks and was just about to go to the Dr. when it stopped. It'll stop eventually.
  • jswift909jswift909 Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doctors, tomorrow morning.

Could be all sorts - long time to have sore "ears/nose/throat" for 2 weeks - no idea. But better to see an expert. I used to get tonsillitis which could last 10 days or so. I got it pretty badly. How do you do know it's not appendix, or something more serious. See the expert - that's what we all pay for.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you've been sick for a fortnight and feel stupid about going to a doctor. :confused:

Well no, the sore throat thing is getting better so the doctor would do nothing but I do feel stupid going with the squits.
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    I would personally listen to what the doctor said.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,664
    Forum Member
    the runs can seriously harm you, i would have gone after a week as its not normal, your not digesting food properly and could risk dehydration and thats just with out knowing the cause of it. go tomorrow, its what they get paid for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    go get it checked
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    Well no, the sore throat thing is getting better so the doctor would do nothing but I do feel stupid going with the squits.

Well the advice on any diarrhoea medication would say if the runs doesn't clear up after 3-4 days then visit a doctor.

I bet you haven't even got any medication?

Suffer it all out eh with the help from meds and doctors, that's the manly thing to to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    Having the runs for more than a few days is never a good sign, but a week?!? Sounds very serious to me. Someone I know who had colon cancer had no other symptoms except diareehea, and left it so long, it spread to other areas, because he didn't go to the doctor. So first thing tomorrow phone your gp
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think it will magically go away by itself. If it's an infection it may clear up spontaneously but it could be something more serious. Don't ignore health problems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,820
    Forum Member
    Does
    It
    Always
    Run
    Really
    Hot
    Over
    Each
    Ankle?
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could tell you alot worse about my day, long story short I was in dire need of an adult nappy at one point today.
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Don't think it will magically go away by itself. If it's an infection it may clear up spontaneously but it could be something more serious. Don't ignore health problems.

Exactly. When you have dieroeah your body loses loads of fluid, vitamins, salts and minerals, which is why it's so serious.

Keep drinking those sachets and get to the doctors. If you can take some anti diarehia medication, this will build your strength up through a temporary retrieve.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    I had the runs for 2 weeks and was just about to go to the Dr. when it stopped. It'll stop eventually.

That's terrible advice!

It can be very dangerous to have diarrhoea for longer than a day or two. Keep yourself hydrated and eat light meals (bananas and tomatoes would be great for replacing lost potassium), take some dioralyte if you have any, and see the doc as soon as possible.

It could be caused by many things, best to let the doc investigate.
    Forum Member
    summerain wrote: »
    That's terrible advice!

It can be very dangerous to have diarrhoea for longer than a day or two. Keep yourself hydrated and eat light meals (bananas and tomatoes would be great for replacing lost potassium), take some dioralyte if you have any, and see the doc as soon as possible.

It could be caused by many things, best to let the doc investigate.

Exactly. Last time I had dieriah it was accompanied by fluey symptoms, but I honestly thought I was going to die of dehydration. I couldn't keep even water in, as soon as I drank a sip my stomach started growling, then straight to the toilet to 'wee it out' the back end. Eventually, after taking just one anti-di tablet, I only had one more bout then it stopped.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had the "squits" for a week about a month ago,
    some colleagues i work with had similar problems and were diagnosed with a viral infection,
    i didn't bother with a doctor myself (silly i know), i lost my appetite, and even when i tried to eat (even though i didn't want to) i felt like throwing up,
    i pretty much went through the week living on complan (dietary supplement) as i was worried about how much weight i'd lost and how quickly, approx 5kg in 4 days (i'm 6' 2" and 85kg).
    as others have mentioned, water intake is vital.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happened to Leicester_Hunk? Did he drown?
  • percysludgepercysludge Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything that lasts that long with runs needs medical treatment you can become dehydrated. It could of been a perforated appendix when mine burst i got the runs.
  • RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TeaCosy wrote: »
    What happened to Leicester_Hunk? Did he drown?

Who knows. Or cares for that matter.

I'm more intrigued how someone can have the shits for a fortnight & not consider seeking medical intervention.

Nah, I'll just make a post on DS:GD lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somebody has to say it.

"Doctor, I have the runs."

"When did you first notice it?"

"When I took off my bicycle clips."