Options

Voluntary childlessness bad?!!

PhoenixblissPhoenixbliss Posts: 9,478
Forum Member
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1388477/Barren-Britain-19-women-childless-menopause.html Why on earth is the fact 19% of british women are childless by the time of menopause being portrayed as SO bad and negative?:confused:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because most Daily Mail journalists wish it was 1950, a glorious age where a woman's responsibilities were limited to keeping the house clean and farting out babies.

I'm voluntarily childless because:
    1. Children annoy me.
    2. I'd make a crap mother anyway.
    3. Everyone I know who's had a kid has morphed into a right tedious git afterwards.
    4. I enjoy being able to go wherever I want and leave the house without spending ages getting the baby's things together, or having to fork out for a babysitter.
    5. There are too many people on this planet anyway. I don't like people all that much, so don't want to add to the growing swarm.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1388477/Barren-Britain-19-women-childless-menopause.html Why on earth is the fact 19% of british women are childless by the time of menopause being portrayed as SO bad and negative?:confused:
    Ah, but here's another article from the Daily Mail which will make it a bit clearer: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1351251/Number-British-Muslims-double-5-5m-20-years.html

Put the two together and you have "LOONY LEFTY LESBO LIBERAL FEMINISTS ARE FAILING IN THEIR PATRIOTIC DUTY TO PRODUCE WHITE BABIES WHILE THE WICKED SWARTHY MUSLIMS ARE BREEDING LIKE RABBITS!"
  • Options
    PhoenixblissPhoenixbliss Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    But they cant criticise irresponsible feckless parents AND criticise people who make a mature responsible decision not to have children?
    So annoying!
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because most Daily Mail journalists wish it was 1950, a glorious age where a woman's responsibilities were limited to keeping the house clean and farting out babies.

1. Children annoy me.
    3. Everyone I know who's had a kid has morphed into a right tedious git afterwards.
    4. I enjoy being able to go wherever I want and leave the house without spending ages getting the baby's things together, or having to fork out for a babysitter.
    5. There are too many people on this planet anyway. I don't like people all that much, so don't want to add to the growing swarm.

:D so much win.
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    So many people become parents because they weren't responsible enough to use protection - hardly a reason to feel superior!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Ugh, i completly agree. My brother was such a fun loving, happy funny guy, as soon as he had a kid (5 years ago now) his personality has had a complete U turn. He is now miserable, hard to make conversation with & tries to make my life of going out on the weekends to clubs & bars with my friends seem stupid. (Hey, at least i dont answer the phone with a sigh!)

No kids for me, thanks.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah, but here's another article from the Daily Mail which will make it a bit clearer: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1351251/Number-British-Muslims-double-5-5m-20-years.html

Put the two together and you have "LOONY LEFTY LESBO LIBERAL FEMINISTS ARE FAILING IN THEIR PATRIOTIC DUTY TO PRODUCE WHITE BABIES WHILE THE WICKED SWARTHY MUSLIMS ARE BREEDING LIKE RABBITS!"

That would be about right for the Mail.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    megnum wrote: »
    Ugh, i completly agree. My brother was such a fun loving, happy funny guy, as soon as he had a kid (5 years ago now) his personality has had a complete U turn. He is now miserable, hard to make conversation with & tries to make my life of going out on the weekends to clubs & bars with my friends seem stupid. (Hey, at least i dont answer the phone with a sigh!)

No kids for me, thanks.
    Haha, I was talking to a friend who had a baby a few months ago, and she said "Are you STILL going out and getting hammered? Don't you think it's time to grow up?" I'M 25, FFS. If I can't have fun now, when CAN I have fun? I'm not wasting the remains of my youth denying myself enjoyable activities just because a baby fell out of my friend and now she doesn't have fun.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    A lot of the countries in the world are screwed due to lack of food/water and arable land, and in most of those same countries the people breed constantly, despite living in poverty, and having no food or water to keep themselves alive they still continue to spit out more children, further exasperating the problem.

Move those same people to a country where food/water and healthcare is in abundance and through ahving very large families they will quickly become the largest population in the country.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Reproductive career"? Really?

I like BARREN BRITAIN though. Even better than BROKEN BRITAIN. What's next, BEATEN BRITAIN?
  • Options
    SadeyedSadeyed Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it that people who complain about being castigated for not having children feel the need to be derogatory about those who do?

If you don't want children, fine, don't have them, but don't get up in arms about being criticized for this then hypocritically condemn those who choose to have kids.

And who says people with children don't have fun? I got a lot more pleasure from my son than I ever did from a bottle of wine.

As for people with children being boring, believe me drunks beat us hands down on that score.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadeyed wrote: »
    Why is it that people who complain about being castigated for not having children feel the need to be derogatory about those who do?

If you don't want children, fine, don't have them, but don't get up in arms about being criticized for this then hypocritically condemn those who choose to have kids.

And who says people with children don't have fun? I got a lot more pleasure from my son than I ever did from a bottle of wine.

As for people with children being boring, believe me drunks beat us hands down on that score.:p
    I'm merely condemning the parents I know. Obviously, I don't know every parent in the world ever, so go off my experience. Granted, without parents, we wouldn't have Mugabe, Gaddaffi, or Kerry Katona, but we also wouldn't have had Einstein or whoever invented those suck-nipple things on water bottles so you don't drench yourself when jogging. That's... good, I guess. However.....
    Did you know that baby Sophia had a bath earlier? I do. I was shown photographic evidence and everything. And of her in a high chair with food smeared around her chops. And of her wearing a frock. And of her sitting around in a babyseat contraption like the idle little swineperson she is. I've come to the conclusion that there's only one thing for me to do: take loads of pictures of an empty space and force my friends to look at them. "And this is my lack of baby not having a bath. And this is my lack of baby not holding a rattle. And this is my lack of baby not eating in a messy manner that's somehow meant to be cute."

If one, just ONE OF THEM, sees the funny side, I will retract all comments I have ever made about babies turning you into a tedious drone. If not, I will have proven my point. Whatever it is. I forget.

Re: The drunk comment. I've yet to meet a drunk who insisted on telling me in great detail the progress of his/her bottle of wine. The closest I've got to that is someone going "Shit, we're out of wine, when does the shop shut?"
  • Options
    sibooboosibooboo Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadeyed wrote: »

Possibly because people think you're crazy for not wanting one, ie my friends
  • Options
    sibooboosibooboo Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1. Children annoy me.

Couldn't have put it better myself.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    It isn't so much bad as amusing to see which group self selects themselves out of the gene pool.

Evolution at work.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised the figure is as high as 19%, it seems just about every woman I know either has kids or is expecting one!

I don't know why it's viewed as being strange to some. It would be more strange for someone who really didn't want children to have them just because society wants them to.
    I've noticed some people pity those who don't have kids, as if to say you don't have them means you can't have them, which isn't always the case.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think it's bad at all.

Me and the wife have decided we don't want kids. Don't get me wrong we both like kids, but only in small doses.

We sometimes look after our nieces and nephews, but as much as we love them it's good to be able to hand them back after a few hours.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Resonance wrote: »
    I don't think it's bad at all.

Me and the wife have decided we don't want kids. Don't get me wrong we both like kids, but only in small doses.

We sometimes look after our nieces and nephews, but as much as we love them it's good to be able to hand them back after a few hours.

Well said - when you take away the wishy washy sentimental factor,kids mean less money in your pocket and more worries that never end..;-) :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pocatello wrote: »
    It isn't so much bad as amusing to see which group self selects themselves out of the gene pool.

Evolution at work.

Uh huh - there's a higher proportion of childlessness amongst female academics. We're breeding out intelligence, yay for evolution! :cool:

ETA: And has anyone else noticed the pic in that DM article of a woman crying, presumably because she's got no kids? Always better to go for the alliteration 'Barren Britain' even though the report has sod all to do with fertility and everything to do with women actually having the choice nowadays to say "wait a minute, I don't actually want kids so I don't think I'll bother having any". Patronising much?
  • Options
    KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry about people choosing not to have children until there's a couple of billion less of us, or if there are fewer than a million healthy babies born in a year.
  • Options
    KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    echad wrote: »
    Uh huh - there's a higher proportion of childlessness amongst female academics. We're breeding out intelligence, yay for evolution! :cool:

There's another way to look at that. Rather than raising children, they're spending their time improving the collective knowledge of the human species.

We just need to make sure that knowledge is transferred to as many children as possible.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just as a matter of interest, what precise words in the article suggest that 19% of women being childless at the time of the menopause is "SO bad and negative" ?

Did you not see this bit:-
    But the report shows that when British women do have children, they are likely to have more than those in other countries.

and this bit:-
    The latest statistics, in a report called Doing Better For Families, show that 23 per cent of British women have one child, 39 per cent have two and 30 per cent have three or more.

The proportion with three or more was exceeded only in the U.S., Sweden, Australia, Norway and France.

Olivier Thevenon, author of the report, said maternity leave entitlements have traditionally been more generous in countries such as France, meaning women there have found it easier to juggle families and careers.

I found no judgemental wording whatever in the article. Just a plain reporting of facts.

But of course, don't let the facts get in the way of another, on this occasion, piss poor excuse to have a pop at the Mail.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

1. Children annoy me.

This this this this this this this this this x 1 fecking billion (particularly 5).

ETA. Children are a huge drain on the national benefits system anyway, what with NHS care, child benefit, education etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    megnum wrote: »

No kids for me, thanks.

Different people are different, we used to find it rather difficult to talk to my brother in the fear that he might snap but since he had his daughter two years ago and another on the way we have found it much fun to be around him and talk more freely. So the kids are a blessing in this situation.
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Well, in terms of 'judgemental', I don't think the word 'barren' leaves room for many positive connotations.

I think having and raising children is wonderful, there should be far more effort put into helping parents do it right.

However, knowing that I'd have made an abysmal mother, I have not had children and am now in the age group where having one naturally is impossible and having one unnaturally would raise comment.

There is room for points of view from the haves and the have nots.