Options

SCD Christmas Special 2014

R2Y5A0N2R2Y5A0N2 Posts: 54,679
Forum Member
I am quite disappointed that this year only previous contestants are returning for the Christmas special and not a new line-up like the previous years.

I would have much preferred new celebrities who couldn't commit to the full series than celebrities we have seen before, or have two separate shows which has been done before at Christmas. One show for previous competitors and one show for new stars.

Does anybody else agree with me in my mini rant?

Comments

• Options
    CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    No - because the "all new" Celebs for the Christmas special is a fairly recent introduction.

The first few Christmas specials were always a mix of those from the current series and some from the previous ones, and it was great seeing the likes of Zoe Ball competing against Jill Halfpenny and Colin Jackson.

It only stopped because the current series celebs found it too much work as by the time the Xmas special was filmed, they were on 2 dances per week.

I for one am quite happy to see former contestants return - just a shame that 2 of them are ones that I would prefer NOT to see lumbering around on Christmas Day!
  • Options
    SeymourSeymour Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    Imo the Christmas show seem 'much ado about nothing' if I remember right there are only two couples that I want to see/watch this year.... yet another show I say thank gawd for sky+.
  • Options
    VintageWhineVintageWhine Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    No - because the "all new" Celebs for the Christmas special is a fairly recent introduction.

The first few Christmas specials were always a mix of those from the current series and some from the previous ones, and it was great seeing the likes of Zoe Ball competing against Jill Halfpenny and Colin Jackson.

It only stopped because the current series celebs found it too much work as by the time the Xmas special was filmed, they were on 2 dances per week.

I for one am quite happy to see former contestants return - just a shame that 2 of them are ones that I would prefer NOT to see lumbering around on Christmas Day!

Quite agree. The "old style" Christmas Specials were really something, proper competitions, and a chance for runners-up to have another go at winning.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am only disappointed that Lisa Riley keeps getting shoved down our throats - the rest of the celebs I am quite happy to see again
  • Options
    dumpty2dumpty2 Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    olivej wrote: »
    I am only disappointed that Lisa Riley keeps getting shoved down our throats - the rest of the celebs I am quite happy to see again

We'd need the jaw of an anaconda for that to happen.
  • Options
    Guapacha2007Guapacha2007 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The very first Christmas special was titled "Champion of Champions" and featured the some of the best couples from series 1 & 2, the special was the only Christmas special broadcast live with the public at home voting rather than the studio audience. It was won by
    Jill Halfpenny and Darren Bennett

Throughout It Takes Two during series 3, several references were made to that celebrity and pro being the current champion of champions. They were scheduled to take part in that year's Christmas special, against the top 3 from series 3 and Evander Holyfield and Rachel Hunter from DWTS series 1, but the celebrity apparently pulled out during fee negotiations, and was replaced by the fourth placed couple from series 3. Presumably the champions of champions format would have continued if this had not happened.

Former contestants then took part in series 4-7 Christmas specials alongside the top couples from those series, and then new celebrities took part from series 8 - 11. I have enjoyed both types of Christmas special, but prefer the returning celebrities format, as you can't get to know a couple after just one routine.
  • Options
    AngelaAngela Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luckily we have a wonderfull dance from Ian & Natalie to look forward to...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    Judy has tweeted that she filmed at an old people's home today for the Christmas Special. They had a tea dance apparently.
  • Options
    yorkshirelass2yorkshirelass2 Posts: 2,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angela wrote: »

Yes, Ian is my favourite male pro ever, and Natalie is lovely, so that will be a treat. I loved it when Ian danced with Darcey in her first year.
  • Options
    TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LISA 'Fun Fun' RILEY & Dainty Tootsied RUSSEL GRANT-Strictly"Favs" Back For Xmas Show

With these Strictly Favourites back to entertain us and Sir Brucie at the Strictly helm, is this going to be one of the best Strictly Christmas Shows ever?

If Ann can be a last minute National Treasure inclusion could it be the perfect line up?

" Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Old favourites including Lisa Riley and Russell Grant to return for Christmas special "

http://metro.co.uk/2014/11/13/strictly-come-dancing-2014-old-favourites-including-lisa-riley-and-russell-grant-to-return-for-christmas-special-4947118/
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Angela wrote: »

Brilliant. This is the most annoying thing about not having Ian on the main show. Natalie never looks quite right dancing with Brendan, not just for the height but physique too.

Aliona must be happy to dance with Lewis and it will be interesting to see how Russell gets on with someone else - Still won't win though. :D
  • Options
    fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the mix of some past real contenders and novelty acts. It will be interesting to see what Tristan can do with Rachel - he probably hasn't had someone with that much potential before.

Similarly Aliona and Louis - he may be the most naturally gifted celeb she has danced with.

I just wish the producers and others would take the chains off and let them have free rein on music and choreography - albeit we are stuck with a Christmas theme of pantomime. And I wish they had 3 weeks to train and not the usual one.
  • Options
    catakincatakin Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Although I'll record the Christmas special, I'm not a fan of it. It's just not the same without the excitement of going from week to week to see who's in the bottom 2 then watching the dance off.
  • Options
    Frank MagFrank Mag Posts: 1,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't have picked 2 worse former celebs, both very annoying.
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised Ann Widdecombe hasn't been resurrected :o
  • Options
    TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised Ann Widdecombe hasn't been resurrected :o

I am too, maybe the BBC are holding Ann up there sleeve as a lovely surprise for us all, I do hope so.
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meh....I am underwhelmed with that Strictly Christmas line-up.
    I have seen enough of Lisa on the show over the years so I dont look forward to see her back :blush:. I liked Russel and Flavia together and Im interested to see how he will do with Joanne.
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa Riley and Russell Grant. Can't stand either of them, and I won't be glad to see Brucie back either. I'm going to record it , fast forward through most of it and just look forward to seeing Ian and Natalie. As for the celebs i'll enjoy seeing Rachel again but that's it.
  • Options
    Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    Lisa Riley and Russell Grant. Can't stand either of them, and I won't be glad to see Brucie back either. I'm going to record it , fast forward through most of it and just look forward to seeing Ian and Natalie. As for the celebs i'll enjoy seeing Rachel again but that's it.

That is the best comment on this thread.

The Ff button will get well used and no mistake!

Lisa gurning and Fforsyth ffumbling - not exactly a barrel,of laughs for sure.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This.

Though I don't mind Sophie Ellis-Bextor either, and she tweeted a picture of ballroom shoes so is presumably doing a ballroom number (plus she's dancing with Alijaz! :blush: ), so that's two dances I'll watch.
  • Options
    VintageWhineVintageWhine Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly right.
  • Options
    fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a Quickstep for Louis and Aliona. Maybe not a great opportunity for some interesting choreography, but then again I would have said that about her Foxtrot with Matt Baker.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns_zYaL0LXk
  • Options
    hilary2329hilary2329 Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    I am quite disappointed that this year only previous contestants are returning for the Christmas special and not a new line-up like the previous years.

I would have much preferred new celebrities who couldn't commit to the full series than celebrities we have seen before, or have two separate shows which has been done before at Christmas. One show for previous competitors and one show for new stars.

Does anybody else agree with me in my mini rant?

I am completely underwhelmed with the Christmas lineup as, despite being an avid Strictly viewer there are dancers on the Christmas special that I had hoped never to see again !!
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure I'll enjoy it in spite of SBF. :D

I get so depressed by the relentless negativity though. :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    Aliona Kavanagh‏@AlionaVilani

Long day😳1st pro rehearsal done...2nd one starting in 15 min😰...I think @louissmith1989 you're gonna carry me in our quickstep tonight 😤😩😋😆👯