New York in July

2»

Comments

• gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    Taboo wrote: »
    I could never visit NY in the summer. Cant stand heat and we love going there at thanksgiving and seeing the window displays and Rockefeller tree etc. Would be weird for us to go any other time.

For me i love to go at christmas, i know it can get very cold but its well worth it! New Year in Times Square is amazing as well!!
  • XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    I went in August. It was too hot to walk loads during the day but we managed and got cabs if it was unbearable heat. Everywhere is air-conditioned. I must not have been eating/drinking enough because I fainted in a museum. :o Apart from that, great holiday, despite it being hot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    I went in June a few years ago and found it unbearable, it didnt help that where I was staying didn't have airconditioning. it was very humid which means you are just sweating when your outdoors. when you walk out of the airconditioning its like walking into a wall of heat and the subway stations are unbearably hot but fortunately the subway itself is airconditioned. having said that i survived and managed to see everything i wanted to see, I just kept having to go in the airconditioning!

I went in April this year and found it too cold!
  • Jill_FanJill_Fan Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your replies. I am definitely going next month now, going to book it tomorrow. Gonna have to go summer clothes shopping I think lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i went in september and it was so hot myself and my wife got sunburnt!
    couldnt believe it and new yorkers told us this was the end of the summer and was cooling down, defo june/july would be unbearable!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Journalist wrote: »
    Yes, it's hot, but most places have air conditioning. One of the things I like about New York is the seasons. Great summers and yet you can usually go ice skating in Central Park in the winter.

Thats what makes New York Great ;)
    Forum Member
    Personally i have never found the heat unbearable but if you are in and out of shops all the time or buildings you get nice and cool and using taxis, you also just have to make sure you drink lots of water and then its not that bad i have been in a lot hotter places in July than New York.
  • natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to NY in April a few years ago and had really nice weather, lovely sunny days and temperatures of about 22/23 degress which was perfect - not too hot but not cold either. I would never choose to go in the summer myself as I am not good with really humid weather but would love to go in December for all the christmas decorations etc.
  • LainiomonkioLainiomonkio Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My BF and I booked a trip to NY last night - we're going for a long weekend in mid October for my birthday and I'm so excited! Hoping the weather won't be too cold... can anyone recommend a themed diner we can go for my birthday dinner? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    My BF and I booked a trip to NY last night - we're going for a long weekend in mid October for my birthday and I'm so excited! Hoping the weather won't be too cold... can anyone recommend a themed diner we can go for my birthday dinner? :)

Can recommend Ellen's stardust diner,just off Times sq,with singing waitstaff or Bubba Gump's on Times sq(Forrest Gump themed resturant).

Avoid Hard rock cafe(lousy food apparently plus they have them here).
  • LainiomonkioLainiomonkio Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can recommend Ellen's stardust diner,just off Times sq,with singing waitstaff or Bubba Gump's on Times sq(Forrest Gump themed resturant).

Avoid Hard rock cafe(lousy food apparently plus they have them here).

Thank you! I had a look at Ellen's Stardust Diner - the Bubba Gump one sounds cool as well. And yes, hard rock are extortionate as well.

SO excited! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! :D
    Forum Member
    Thank you! I had a look at Ellen's Stardust Diner - the Bubba Gump one sounds cool as well. And yes, hard rock are extortionate as well.

SO excited! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! :D

I'm nagging OH to go back for our 3rd visit LOL.

Ellen's is also good for breakfasts.
    Should also add for the best Pizza in NY,try Grimaldi's on the other side of the bridge and best cheesecake,Junior's at Grand central station.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone think flying with British Airways is a bit risky at the moment? I don't know who to fly with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    njguy wrote: »
    Whats it like the last week of october thats when im going.

I've been that same week three years in a row and it's variable. It can be a bit chilly but not freezing - you'll need a short jacket but not a full length coat/hat/scarf/gloves. One of the days was really warm though - I was boiling in jeans and t shirt, especially on the subway.

It'll probably rain at some point - always has when I've been there (usually quite heavy and all day).
    Forum Member
    Jill_Fan wrote: »
    Does anyone think flying with British Airways is a bit risky at the moment? I don't know who to fly with.

I think they're the safest tbh.
    I wouldn't recommend Delta.
  • Satan's SonSatan's Son Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    or Bubba Gump's on Times sq(Forrest Gump themed resturant).

i was there last week and had joe calzaghe dining at the next table, got a piccy , food was ok similar grub to frankie and bennys though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they're the safest tbh.
    I wouldn't recommend Delta.

I mean because of all the strikes/pay cuts business?

Whats wrong with Delta?
    Forum Member

No Virgin Atlantic are much much better.

I've flown with BA, Continental, AA, United Airlines and Delta to the US and none of them even come close to the service and quality of Virgin.
    Forum Member
    I mean because of all the strikes/pay cuts business?

Whats wrong with Delta?

No personal tv and miserable staff who were stingy with the drinks trolley.
    Forum Member
    i was there last week and had joe calzaghe dining at the next table, got a piccy , food was ok similar grub to frankie and bennys though!

Oh its much better than F & B.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No personal tv and miserable staff who were stingy with the drinks trolley.

Ahh ok thanks for that.

I've been with Continental before and they were really good but wanted to try BA or Virgin, but can't find any cheapish packages with them from Manchester
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it really unbearable heat or similar to our hot summers? How crowded does it get?

Nothing like our hot summers tbh. The heat is one thing, the humidity is what I found most unbearable. I won't lie, if you're someone who sweats in the heat, you'd better wear a lot of dark clothing because you're gonna sweat buckets I'm afraid. As for how crowded it gets, as another poster mentioned, it depends where you go. If it's the normal tourist attractions, then it's generally extremely crowded.
  • ScrolllockScrolllock Posts: 4,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally i have never found the heat unbearable but if you are in and out of shops all the time or buildings you get nice and cool and using taxis, you also just have to make sure you drink lots of water and then its not that bad i have been in a lot hotter places in July than New York.

Maybe you have only been there at cooler times?

It's not just the heat, it's the combination of heat and humidity. That combination can make it feel more uncomfortable than much hotter places like Las Vegas, for example.

The whole eastern half of America is hot humid in the summer not just the coast. The western half is mostly hot and dry except for places like Hawaii, along the coast, mostly up north, and culminating in the cool rain forests of Washington and Alaska. The worse combination of heat, not surprisingly then, is in Texas. You'll get the highest temperatures with high humidity.