PLEASE someone Help. My Cat is peeing everywhere all of a sudden.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 712
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi there. I was wondering if anyone can help me as I'm at my wits end.
I have two cats, A Male and Female. Both neutured.

The problem started a few weeks ago. I've had them both for over a year now and never had any problems with either of the when it came to toilet habbits however, the female has all off a sudden started urinating everywhere, in every corner of the house, on the sofa, on the bed, and if theres papers lying around she'll go there too (thats her fav place in papers). I've took her to the vet and she has no health problems whatsoever.

I've tried changing the litter stuff, i've cleaned it as much as I can, and i've also left it for a day or two to keep the sent - I've also put her in a room with a litter tray, toys, water etc - but in that room she still pee's everywhere. - She still goes in the littertray sometimes as well so I just dont get it.

The only thing I can think of is that the male cat has recently had his booster injections topped up and therefore was allowed outside (as he was moaning all the time when we had to keep him in) - However, she wasn't allowed her's as at the time she had a cold at the time and therefore has had to wait to go backoutside - this might be a case of jealousy? I'm not sure. I've stopped them both going out now for the time being, but she still keeps doing it. (also it maybe worth noting, that when I think back I think she'd already started urinating before the outside thing started but , could it have been made worse?)

She also the other night started pooing on the kitchen sides, which she has NEVER done before, infact neither of them either go on the kitchen sides. She's showing signs of bad behaviour, How do I get over this problem? I know it's not anything to do with health as she has been fully examined and besides that - she knows she is doing it, because she starts clawing and digging at sofa's, beds, anything etc, before she goes!?

I've checked many forums etc but have had no luck with sorting the problem, Any help would be appreciated as my housemates are starting to hate her and I dont want to be forced to get rid of her at all - this cannot be an option.

Thanks for any responses

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Difficult one

Any changes at all, however small that you can think of recently that would possibly disrupt?

Have you changed the brand of cat litter or moved the litter tray around anywhere?

Is she in heat or has been recently?

Would it be possible to get a second view on the health, the weeing everywhere could either be a sign of UTI or a dominance thing I.e if possibly another cat is around? Do you have a cat flap? Is it possible another cat is getting in?

How old are they both, do they get on well?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Difficult one

Any changes at all, however small that you can think of recently that would possibly disrupt?

Have you changed the brand of cat litter or moved the litter tray around anywhere?

Is she in heat or has been recently?

Would it be possible to get a second view on the health, the weeing everywhere could either be a sign of UTI or a dominance thing I.e if possibly another cat is around? Do you have a cat flap? Is it possible another cat is getting in?

How old are they both, do they get on well?

Hey.
    No, havent changed the brand only the last few days to see if it would stop her.
    Litter-tray has always been in the same place, never been moved.
    She can't be in heat - She's been done.
    She's been checked for UTI and other health problems- and besides, she knows she's doing it, i've sat and watched her find a place.... it's not like she has incontinance.
    She's never been dominant - i've had her for a year she always been placid and lovely never shown any signs.
    She gets on with the other cat like a house on fire, they have been together since they were little and never been seperated :S
    Also no other cats can get in the house, as I dont have a cat flap, they just let me know when they want to go out or come in.
    I just dont understand why she is doing this.
    They are both a year old, give or take a week or two... she is older.
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    Buffyx wrote: »
    Hey.
    No, havent changed the brand only the last few days to see if it would stop her.
    Litter-tray has always been in the same place, never been moved.
    She can't be in heat - She's been done.
    She's been checked for UTI and other health problems- and besides, she knows she's doing it, i've sat and watched her find a place.... it's not like she has incontinance.
    She's never been dominant - i've had her for a year she always been placid and lovely never shown any signs.
    She gets on with the other cat like a house on fire, they have been together since they were little and never been seperated :S
    Also no other cats can get in the house, as I dont have a cat flap, they just let me know when they want to go out or come in.
    I just dont understand why she is doing this.
    They are both a year old, give or take a week or two... she is older.
    Are both cats sharing a litter tray or do they have one each? Something is deterring her from using her tray, perhaps it's the other cat's smell. Is the litter changed daily? I know you said you tried keeping her in a room with her own tray but that may have unsettled her even more. Something is definitely unsettling her.

My two cats only ever used litter trays when confined to the house, they much preferred to toilet outdoors. Is this an option? You say she's been used to going outside :confused: Have you recently stopped her going outside? I don't understand why a delay in boosters would prevent you letting the cats outside - they are just 'boosters' and some would argue that yearly boosters are unnecessary. (However, both my cats received yearly boosters, give or take a few weeks, but I viewed it as more important for their yearly health checks).

Even when my Tabitha was dying she was scrupulously clean and would insist on going outside despite me putting trays in the house. She never had an 'accident' in her entire life but she almost always had free access to the outside. I don't think I would cope very well with a cat weeing round the house, I've been so lucky with my own two cats. I hope you can root out the cause and solve the problem.

I am due to take on some rescue cats soon so I will be looking for advice for myself if the same thing happens to me. Hopefully not.
  • Kittycat73Kittycat73 Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have any new housemates or do they, or you, have any new partners coming round?
    My mums' cat once started pooing out of his tray and the PDSA advised me it was because he felt insecure and so was 'marking his territory.' Letting the target know it was his house. (We think it was my mums' then partner that caused it.)

It does sound like she is feeling insecure to me. I wonder if an un-neutered (Spl?) male cat is weeing anywhere and the scent is getting on your male cat somehow? (I know it sounds far fetched but my cat came in the other day reeking of wee! She likes to hide under a bush and I've seen a un-neutered male cat peeing very near it.)

It's very expensive but have you tried a Feliway? http://www.feliway.com/gb
    I hope your cat feels more settled soon, and that you do too! Good luck with sorting out the problem. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    I'm not an expert, but going by experience it sounds like something has seriously spooked her and she's feeling very anxious and insecure.

When she does use the litter tray correctly, give her plenty of attention and fuss. Just to reinforce the idea that she's done a good thing.

I can't for the life of me remember the name of it (sorry!) but there's some citrus scented stuff you can sprinkle around your home in areas a cat likes to pee in to deter them.

Feliway works really well in my experience too.

My cat absolutely freaks out when I hoover. I have to time it really well to do it when she's fast asleep in another room or outside, otherwise she'll start peeing everywhere! :eek: Feliway seems to do the trick when she's very anxious.

It can be tempting to shout in frustration when they do this, but it really could make things worse as it will set her on edge even more. I try to ignore the bad behaviour, I won't acknowledge her if she comes around me for a stroke if she's just peed somewhere she shouldn't. But when she has used her tray I give her loads of fuss, usually as I feel terrible for ignoring her earlier!

I hope you can sort it out soon, it sounds unpleasant for all of you. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey Thanks for the responses. She has always shared a large liteer-tray with my other cat they have always been the best of friends so I dont think that's a problem. I have made a 2nd litter tray which only she has access too, but shes not usuing it. She'll get into the litter tray and dig around and sometimes even use it, but like i said, she still wont stop going around the house.

The vet told me that she couldnt go outside until the boosters have been topped up, so I just went with his advise. In any case, her not being allowed access to outside for a week or two shouldnt have been a problem as she rarley likes going outside, and the cats never seem to go to the toilet outside for some reason.

My housemates has no partners, rarely have people round often, so I dont understand what could have unsettled her.
    This is very unlikely behaviour from her, and the other cat he just seems fine and normal.

I know that putting her in another room (with the litter tray, toys water etc) hasn't unsettled her anymore than it already could have because at that point it was the worst its been.

When I let her out, she goes straight to the main litter tray digs around then goes and urinates elsewhere. However she will poop in her litter tray in her room, but wont urinate in their, only on the floor, desk etc.
  • Kittycat73Kittycat73 Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd still say try the Feliway if you can afford it.
    Good luck, hope it all works out.
  • cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would take her to the vets incase she has a urinary infection or some other medical problem. Also read the FAB's advice on 'inappropriate toiletting' which I think covers all the issues:

http://www.fabcats.org/behaviour/spraying/info.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cats_five wrote: »
    I would take her to the vets incase she has a urinary infection or some other medical problem. Also read the FAB's advice on 'inappropriate toiletting' which I think covers all the issues:

http://www.fabcats.org/behaviour/spraying/info.html

I've already stated shes been to the vets for check ups and told them what's wrong.... three times now, she hasnt got anything wrong with her, this is the problem. So can people stop suggesting UTI's please because it's not that.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    I had a similar experience last year.

My brother came to stay with us for one night just before Xmas and we also bought a new rug for the lounge around the same time.

A few days after my brother had gone I noticed the tell-tale smell and traced it to a corner of the new rug.

I put this down to my brother disrupting the house and cleaned the rug with some bio washing liquid.

The problem continued and I had to clean the rug pretty much every day and then she started going in other places and no. 2's started!

Long story short I threw out the new rug and the problem stopped!

I'm convinced she was sensing something in the rug that she didn't like?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting how you threw the rug out and it stopped :confused::confused: I haven't had anything new besides a sofa but that was only in the last few days it started way before that. i'll have to have a think as this can't go on much longer.

She's been to the vet again today, she's been put on antibiotics incase she's starting to get an UTI but the vet is possitive she hasnt got one. I was persistant something was wrong, so its been taken for good measure.

We'll see if the problem stops. Thank you so much for your responses. I'll keep you all updated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it all possible your she cat has had a fit?
    Lots of pets have minor ones and you tend to get both types - so mild and quick that they are hardly noticeable unless you actually spot it happening, and the big fits where they are glazed eyes, seem a bit drunk and wobbly legged.
    My she cat lived into her Twenties but had occasional fits along the way.
    They come out of the fits but sometimes develop a temporary 'glitch' with inexplicable or repetitive behaviour for a while, as if stuck in a groove. Twice my cat had the weeing thing you describe after fits. Then she would suddenly have a 're-set' and it would just stop completely, as if she'd forgotten to pee everywhere. I believe she had a minor fit which rewired and cleared the glitch.
    Other examples were -
    - repeatedly mewing at a door to go out, even though there was a cat flap she had always used, and then just walking away from the door when you opened it
    - washing a particularly bit of her back fur on and on (where they have to twist their head and shoulders right round to reach) until she fell over or was distracted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey everyone, just thought i'd come back and let you know the problem has all of a sudden stopped. I started letting her outside again, and she went bac to the vet and was put on anti biotics just incase and she's returned to normal. I have no idea what it was, but i'm just glad it has stopped.
    :Relieved. I just hope she's fixed for the foreseeable future :D

Thanx to everyone who helped, and OldBag I will deffo look out for any fits.
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    Buffyx wrote: »
    Hey everyone, just thought i'd come back and let you know the problem has all of a sudden stopped. I started letting her outside again, and she went bac to the vet and was put on anti biotics just incase and she's returned to normal. I have no idea what it was, but i'm just glad it has stopped.
    :Relieved. I just hope she's fixed for the foreseeable future :D

Thanx to everyone who helped, and OldBag I will deffo look out for any fits.

That's good news :) Seems like she didn't like being kept inside. Perhaps the antibiotics helped too.