Options

*The Lady Gaga Appreciation Thread* (Part 11)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    Her album with Tony will be a relatively straight forward side project.

It's already planned out, so really it's just a case of turning up and recording it together, then letting the producers sort it out. Obviously she'll be involved in that, but unless she's contributing original material she'll probably just be OK'ing the tracks.

I'm thinking ARTPOP should be dropped in Aug/Sep, then TonyGa in Nov/Dec. That way there's enough of a gap, but they're close enough to co-promote, as well as being in different Grammy years so they won't compete for the same nominations. Plus, it'll benefit from the Christmas sales and she can kill two birds with one stone by performing twice at the 2014 Grammys.
  • Options
    BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    The way Tony Bennett is talking about the album, it indicates to me that there will be some original songs? The way it's taking a few months to plan before actually recording. I do hope it's mainly originals, it would be so different as opposed to all these oldies covering The American Song Book and all
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd love for the album to have a few standards, but mostly be made up of lesser known gems, covers and original material. Not necessarily written by her, either. I'm sure there are songwriters in the genre who'd love the exposure of writing for Gaga and Tony Bennett.
  • Options
    MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gaga's birthday today! hoping we hear some news soon about various projects she's got going on - but no news is good news in the sense that we know she's taking her recovery seriously!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If she doesn't say anything today, she's obviously keeping quiet for a reason.

Best guess is that this is the calm before the storm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Happy Birthday Gaga! I just want her to tweet..perhaps a pic of her birthday cake :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Well, I kind of expected to hear something from Gaga yesterday. Even just a "thank you" tweet. I don't know, something is definitely going on. She has completely distanced herself from her fans recently (to recover i'm sure) but she has completely disappeared. Saw a picture today and she still appears to be in her wheelchair...although she has ditched Emma for a LV one now. ;)
  • Options
    maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love the gaga :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree... Less is more sometimes Gags. At least she mostly performed it acoustically so we got to hear it in all it's beauty :)
  • Options
    SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree... Less is more sometimes Gags. At least she mostly performed it acoustically so we got to hear it in all it's beauty :)

It's interesting that she tended to do this I wonder if after she released the album she realised the stripped back accoustic version was far superior to the Dance version

As you say less is more and she is inclined to throw in the kitchen sink sometimes :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can sort of see what she was trying to do with Hair, but for me it was always screaming to be a big stadium rock number at most...not the techno pop mess it became.

With tweaked lyrics and a toned down production, it could have been an album favourite and strong single.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can sort of see what she was trying to do with Hair, but for me it was always screaming to be a big stadium rock number at most...not the techno pop mess it became.

With tweaked lyrics and a toned down production, it could have been an album favourite and strong single.

Yes good point, i'm not sure all the lyrics will stand the test of time.. but the sentiment behind the song is great and it obviously means a lot to her as she gets quite emotional when she sings it sometimes.

I wonder how much this tour will affect her new music? Whether touring in a stadium will change her sound at all? BTW I feel was meant for a stadium performance, but i wonder whether her new stuff will be for a more intimate setting?

What I would give for Gaga to do a string of really small setting concerts with just her and the piano and a small band. It'd be magical :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes good point, i'm not sure all the lyrics will stand the test of time.. but the sentiment behind the song is great and it obviously means a lot to her as she gets quite emotional when she sings it sometimes.

I wonder how much this tour will affect her new music? Whether touring in a stadium will change her sound at all? BTW I feel was meant for a stadium performance, but i wonder whether her new stuff will be for a more intimate setting?

What I would give for Gaga to do a string of really small setting concerts with just her and the piano and a small band. It'd be magical :)

The lyrics are just a bit cringe, which is a shame because the sentiment of "I've had enough, this is my prayer, that I'll die living just as free as my hair" is great. It's a strong chorus. Very Bon Jovi ;)

I agree that BTW was MADE for stadiums. It's just so "big" sounding. I think ARTPOP will sound like it's made for festivals/raves/clubs.

I'd be willing to bet Gaga will do an intimate tour at some point, it's just a question of why she'd do it and when. Maybe when she gets pregnant she can release an acoustic greatest hits and do a string of gigs to promote it. Would allow her to release something and perform it during her year(s) off without being too strenuous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I see her hair is getting darker :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It'd be cool if she brought back her fringe as well as the brunette so we'd see a return of Gaga circa 2007.

She looks beautiful with this Italian Queen look she's got going on though. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she looks beautiful as a brunette! Hope she keeps it for her next album so everybody gets to see it!
    She's definitely keeping quiet for a reason - continuing her media blackout I think and just taking time for herself and to recover. Nice she's able to spend time with Taylor too, i imagine that doesn't get to happen very often when she's on the road!
    Maybe ARTPOP will change now... i imagine she's been very effected by her injury and cancelling the tour and i wonder where this would have an impact on her writing or her vision for the album?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The comments on that DailyFail post. Apparently she's just being lazy with the wheelchair and going out on her bday was for promo. :rolleyes: People are silly.

I think it's too late in the game for ARTPOP to change now. The tracks are apparently written and being polished.

I'm curious as to what the deal is with the collabs. She said that she thinks the album is strong enough without them, so I wonder whether they'll disperse the unused to the collaborators albums? Red Flame to Azealia's, Ratchet to Beyonce's, whatever to Elton's, whatever to Kanye's etc. She already gave PARTYNAUSEOUS to Kendrick, just didn't work out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The comments on that DailyFail post. Apparently she's just being lazy with the wheelchair and going out on her bday was for promo. :rolleyes: People are silly.

I think it's too late in the game for ARTPOP to change now. The tracks are apparently written and being polished.

I'm curious as to what the deal is with the collabs. She said that she thinks the album is strong enough without them, so I wonder whether they'll disperse the unused to the collaborators albums? Red Flame to Azealia's, Ratchet to Beyonce's, whatever to Elton's, whatever to Kanye's etc. She already gave PARTYNAUSEOUS to Kendrick, just didn't work out.

Or perhaps that's what she'll use the app for? She said (i think) that she'd use it to release music as well, that's not on the album, so maybe that's the plan. The fact that Azealia talked about it might mean that Gaga is no longer using it? Who knows at this point? It's weird that Beyonce is being so silent about her album and first single too...

I'm still waiting for a live performance of Telephone from the two of them, so if they do another song together and release it then we must get that! Can you imagine? Gaga starts doing Paparazzi, then goes into telephone with B and then finish with the latest instalment? It would be awesome :)

People will bash Gaga no matter what she does. If I were in her position and had her wealth, I would also have a nice wheelchair. I'm sure she'll donate them afterwards! And yes, going out to celebrate her birthday with her boyfriend - desperate attention seeker alert!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Or perhaps that's what she'll use the app for? She said (i think) that she'd use it to release music as well, that's not on the album, so maybe that's the plan. The fact that Azealia talked about it might mean that Gaga is no longer using it? Who knows at this point? It's weird that Beyonce is being so silent about her album and first single too...

I'm still waiting for a live performance of Telephone from the two of them, so if they do another song together and release it then we must get that! Can you imagine? Gaga starts doing Paparazzi, then goes into telephone with B and then finish with the latest instalment? It would be awesome :)

People will bash Gaga no matter what she does. If I were in her position and had her wealth, I would also have a nice wheelchair. I'm sure she'll donate them afterwards! And yes, going out to celebrate her birthday with her boyfriend - desperate attention seeker alert!!!

I was thinking more from a tactical point of view, spreading out collabs would be a good way to dominate - particularly across formats, like urban where she has no presence. Take a leaf out of Rihanna's book in that respect.

Yeah, I'm really hoping she does a trilogy performance with Beyonce and whoever. It would be incredible. Maybe at the Grammys? I doubt her lead is the PapaTele continuation.

I had a thought that it'd be killer if she attended the VMAs seemingly still in her wheelchair, only to burst into a surprise performance and premiere the lead single during the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not even a million dollars could convince Lady Gaga to perform at last summer's Republican National Convention.

The snub by the pop star is included in a lawsuit filed by a powerful Republican nonprofit fundraising organization, American Action Network, against a vendor whose job was to stage entertainment just outside the doors to the GOP's convention in August.

Documents filed with the lawsuit show that other entertainers also said "no thanks" to appearing at the GOP convention including Dolly Parton and the rapper Pitbull, who Republicans hoped to feature at an event for the Hispanic Leadership Network.

Many entertainers, including Journey and Lynyrd Skynyrd, agreed to perform at the convention, but Lady Gaga's offer was the most lucrative, according to an email sent last summer by AAN's director of development, Pete Meachum.

"See what it would take to get Gaga instead of Dolly," Meachum requests of Rob Jennings, who heads Cater America LLC, an event production company based in Wyoming.

Jennings, whose company is being sued by AAN, was instructed by Meachum to try to make the offer to Lady Gaga more tempting by telling her it would be an event "honoring women who run for public office."

Meachum, who is a former aide to House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy and is now chief of staff for Rep. Sean Duffy, R-Wis., wanted Lady Gaga to perform on Monday, Aug. 27, the evening of the convention's first official day.

"Also, tell them that $150,000 will go towards a domestic violence shelter," Meachum further instructed Jennings in an effort to make the offer harder for Lady Gaga to refuse.

American Action Network is a 501c(4) organization headed by former Sen. Norm Coleman, R-Minn., and raises money to support GOP candidates for House seats. The organization is suing Cater America in an effort to recover $350,000 that AAN officials say they lost in part when a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert arranged by Cater America was canceled. The concert could not take place because Florida Gov. Rick Scott declared a state of emergency as Hurricane Isaac churned toward Tampa.

In the lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court, AAN says most of the money it seeks represents a loan that Jennings has failed to repay.

Cater America plans to countersue, saying AAN reneged on a deal to pay $500,000 for the rock band Journey, which performed a 90-minute set on Aug. 30, the final night of the convention, and for other expenses incurred by Cater America that it says AAN had promised to cover.

Cater America also contends AAN violated an agreement not to give away tickets. National Republican Congressional Committee Executive Director Guy Harrison was among the NRCC staff who attended a Kid Rock concert put on by Cater America on Aug. 29. American Action Network spokesman Dan Conston told The Washington Examiner that AAN "invited some close personal friends from nongovernmental organizations on a personal basis."

http://washingtonexaminer.com/lady-gaga-turned-down-1-million-to-perform-at-rnc/article/2525899
  • Options
    SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You would think a big organisation would have the sense to do a little bit of reaserch and they would have seen that she is a Democrat and it's the wrong charity :)

Interesting how they were prepared to play the charity card to get her though. Guess it's a way of blackmailing artists to appear especially if it was a cause they supported.
  • Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slojo wrote: »
    You would think a big organisation would have the sense to do a little bit of reaserch and they would have seen that she is a Democrat and it's the wrong charity :)

Interesting how they were prepared to play the charity card to get her though. Guess it's a way of blackmailing artists to appear especially if it was a cause they supported.

It's really twisted IMHO.