Kylie Minogue - 'Kiss Me Once' (Album Thread)

Comments

• CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roc nation had nothing to do with her music being released. They are her management. She could do what Rihanna has recently done and sign with them to release future music.

But it still doesn't seem to be official about her leaving Parlo anyway, so i don't know.

She should go back to Terry.
  • kyleeekyleee Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Kmo up to number 52 :)
  • CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am really surprised that KMO is up to 52 today.

I thought it would drop out of the top 100 totally
  • Pippa2012Pippa2012 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kylie needs a whole new direction. Kiss me Once as much as i have tried to like it i dont, its not Kylie, there is nothing standout on the album, Les Sex is good but nothing on her best work. It might be a good love for her to leave parlophone but whereever she goes she needs to get the next album right with a particular reference to getting the right lead single. Parlophone have clearly shown they do not know to handle her recent releases as every album from X onwards has been handled terribly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't be alone in thinking Crystallize screams lead single!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfQAhii0TzA
  • BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,714
    Forum Member
    The song is amazing. The video and lyrics are classic Kylie and is better than anything on Kiss Me Once
  • Nebworth90Nebworth90 Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOVE Crystallize ... and not just because my name is on the video! :p
    I for one also love KMO, I agree though that she needs a whole new direction. A house album going back to her 90s vibe mixed with dance would be really good. She needs to ditch parlophone they've been nothing but useless imo.
  • Pippa2012Pippa2012 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would not say parlophone are useless, she has scored her biggest singles and best selling album with them, however, i believe they no longer know what to do with Kylie and it would be best if she left.

I really like your idea of "A house album going back to her 90s vibe mixed with dance" breathe for example would work in that format.
  • thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been a Kylie fan since her debut (I was 5 and my mum had her LP :D) and this is the first time I've got tickets to see her. I've had to force myself to listen to Kiss Me Once - it's such a dull, insipid album.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fanntastik wrote: »
    Quality =/= success. For example, Rhythm of Love sold much less than what her first two albums sold but it's objectively a much better album.

Impossible Princess is one of my favourite Kylie albums but it's her biggest flop. Body Language didn't exactly set the charts on fire either but IMO it's her strongest album.

Impossible Princess was a number one album in Oz and I believe sold quite well in several other countries. It wasn't her biggest flop internationally.
    I love how some people are acting as though this is the end of Kylie's music career. Sales of Kiss Me Once are a little disappointing, especially in the UK, but she has had several albums before that have sold less than a million copies worldwide, I somehow doubt Kiss Me Once is going to end her career, it will still yield another successful and well-received tour. Kylie has never actually been a big albums artist worldwide anyway, she's had a few big worldwide sellers (Fever and Kylie) but the success of her albums in a lot of countries, other than Australia and the UK, has always been patchy for some reason.

Kiss Me Once will probably end up going Gold in the UK in the long run, that's not too shabby for someone nearly 30 years into her pop career. MDNA, Madonna's last album, hasn't gone Platinum in the UK yet either, in fact it dropped down the album chart nearly as quickly as Kiss Me Once is doing right now, so...

MDNA is even worst than KMO!
    Fanntastik wrote: »
    the IWGC video is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g0c9mv0j9E

So disappointing, I don't like it at all. Reminds me of that really old Gap commercial.

Surely the worst music video of the year, if not Kylie's whole career!
    I've had to force myself to listen to Kiss Me Once - it's such a dull, insipid album.

It is. Kylie seems to have lost interest in her music career, to be honest. There's no emotion or passion to anything she sings nowadays. She's just coasting and has been for several years (apart from the odd flash of brilliance). To the British public particularly, this comes across as her taking them for granted, and the result is poor record sales. It seems that either Kylie, or Parlophone, or both, have decided that brand Kylie is enough to get her through, and that musically any old tripe will do. Well the public have woken up, so... your move, Kylie!
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IWGC is a boring song and the video is terrible. Unfortunately it shows people ignoring Kylie which has happened with this album.

She needs to get her mojo back!
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't be suprised if IWGC is the last single from KMO. It absolutely bombed - quite righty - it's down there with 'Wow' as one of her worst singles IMO. It's a shame though as the album itself it really good and deserved so much better.

As the months have gone on I think I can confidently say that KMO was an improvement on Aphrodite, but not as fun as X (although KMO is more coherent). Body Language, X and Light Years are still her best Parlo albums, followed by KMO, Fever and Aphrodite :D.

I do mostly blame Parlophone for KMOs performance though. Kylie isn't their only act seemingly struggling at the moment either, look at Lily Allen and Eliza Doolittle. Coldplay are doing alright I suppose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's interesting that I've actually found myself singing IWGC to myself a lot, even though I hated it when I first heard it, as part of that terrible video. The artwork for the single is also atrocious. I don't actually think IWGC is a bad song per se, but the production is REALLY dull. You only have to listen to the warm and gently vibrant Steph Seroussi remix to hear what the song could have been. I also think the song is in too low a key, and requires Kylie to make zero effort vocally. It could've been good; the basic song is okay. But they got it all wrong.
  • StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    I like them all but Into The Blue is my favourite! I also like (in particular) the last three on the standard item
  • Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kylie thinks maybe it wasn't good enough

I totally disagree with her. It was a great album but IWGC was a terrible single choice. Feels So Good, Million Miles or Fine should have been released instead of that.

Kylie also talks about how much she admires Madonna in the midst of ageism from the same interview but DS haven't uploaded that yet. Do you think we will ever see them duet? How epic would that be!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kylie thinks maybe it wasn't good enough

I totally disagree with her. It was a great album but IWGC was a terrible single choice. Feels So Good, Million Miles or Fine should have been released instead of that.

Kylie also talks about how much she admires Madonna in the midst of ageism from the same interview but DS haven't uploaded that yet. Do you think we will ever see them duet? How epic would that be!

No she doesn't. She throws out a few philosophical ideas and wonders if one of them could be true.

Frankly though, no, Into The Blue wasn't good enough, I think it's her worst album ever, in fact. But her recent song with Georgio Moroder is a real return to form. But where is it? Is it out? Nobody knows. The promotion of Kylie's music is horrendous.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kylie does say

"Maybe it didn't do as well because it wasn't good enough or it didn't deserve more - who knows"

So that sounds to me, she is just guessing why it never did well. That isn't her saying she doesn't think much to it.

I think that may of been the case. She was a judge on a high rated talent show and yet people didn't bother to buy the album. So it's not as if people didn't know she was back with new music or that she wasn't in the public eye. I don't think it had anything to do with promo or the single choices. I just think people didn't like it. That is the reason why some albums bomb. I did like it personally and this is coming from someone who isn't a big kylie fan and only ever previously liked Fever and X.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems odd that after 25+ years in the business she can't see what was wrong with the album, which doesn't bode well for the next one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    It seems odd that after 25+ years in the business she can't see what was wrong with the album, which doesn't bode well for the next one.

On the contrary, she recently did that great song with Georgio Moroder, and I hear she is working with some Lady Gaga producer, so in that sense she's acknowledged she needs to sound more contemporary. One of the glaring problems of KMO was how awfully dated it sounded. And although she hasn't explicitly stated anything (very typical of Kylie!), the fact she's even pondered that KMO may not have been good enough shows she does have some sense of self-awareness, and so may well up her game.

Good or bad, I do think her next album is a gamechanger.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you are expecting too much? Kylie has always released carefree pop and Kiss Me Once was no different. I don't expect her to revisit Impossible Princess no matter how much I would like her to.

Kylie does have a habit of saying things like this. She said the same about Body Language but there was no way BL was going to match the success of Fever. BL was a great album and did its job as a good follow up to her most successful album.

As also said in regards to Kiss Me Once she was on The Voice each week so clearly had the exposer as 10 million people were watching her so will have known she had an album out. I think the truth is pure, nasty ageism. Even Britney suffers from this now. Ageism is really bad in this country. Its a big shame that supporting anyone over 35 is seen as uncool to the youth of today. I mean its almost seen as cool to dislike Madonna because she is a ''granny''. I'm sure the only reason Sia gets away with it is because no one ever sees her so people don't know who she really is.

I suppose its a sign of the times though, if Lady Gaga proved one thing its fame is coming and going faster than it once did.
  • JakeXYJakeXY Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Kiss Me Once is a great album, but the singles were all wrong. Million Miles is far too good not to have been the lead single. I Was Gonna Cancel is something I’d rather forget. The videos were disappointing as well. Kylie is such a visual artist who has made some great videos over the years, but they weren't up to scratch during the Kiss Me Once era. At least the tour was brilliant. My choice of singles would be:

Million Miles
    Sexy Love
    If Only
    Into the Blue

And I adore Sleeping with the Enemy, it's so 1990s.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe you are expecting too much? Kylie has always released carefree pop and Kiss Me Once was no different. I don't expect her to revisit Impossible Princess no matter how much I would like her to.

Kylie does have a habit of saying things like this. She said the same about Body Language but there was no way BL was going to match the success of Fever. BL was a great album and did its job as a good follow up to her most successful album.

As also said in regards to Kiss Me Once she was on The Voice each week so clearly had the exposer as 10 million people were watching her so will have known she had an album out. I think the truth is pure, nasty ageism. Even Britney suffers from this now. Ageism is really bad in this country. Its a big shame that supporting anyone over 35 is seen as uncool to the youth of today. I mean its almost seen as cool to dislike Madonna because she is a ''granny''. I'm sure the only reason Sia gets away with it is because no one ever sees her so people don't know who she really is.

I suppose its a sign of the times though, if Lady Gaga proved one thing its fame is coming and going faster than it once did.

I've heard it all now. If Kylie's career is failing because Britian is 'terribly ageist', how is it that 'granny' Madonna has just topped the albums charts with her new album? How about Sia, a long-term singer-songwriter who has had major success in the past couple of years despite being in her mid-30s? KMO is a terrible album, that's why it flopped. Nothing to do with ageism or sexism or any other PC excuse.
    JakeXY wrote: »
    Kiss Me Once is a great album... I adore Sleeping with the Enemy, it's so 1990s.

This is part of the problem though - Kylie sounds SO dated. Her music hadn't moved on one iota since Body Language, apart from her recent effort with Giorgio Moroder. The only Kylie songs that have impressed me since 'Slow' are 'All The Lovers', 'Skirt' and 'Right Here, Right Now'.

NB: Apparently RHRN was released on 20th January - and bombed. If a song that good can't revive Kylie then maybe there is no hope!
  • RushRush Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    I would say Madonna and Kylie are both in the same boat, since the start of this decade they have both been abandoned by "mainstream" radio in the UK and have struggled to get hit singles, but through big fanbases are able to get decent sales for their albums.

I would be very surprised if Kylie or Madonna got another top 10 in the UK, radio won't play them and Streaming makes it even more difficult.

I don't think it matters what they release now, it's never going to be a huge hit. They should just stick to the touring.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rush wrote: »
    I would say Madonna and Kylie are both in the same boat, since the start of this decade they have both been abandoned by "mainstream" radio in the UK and have struggled to get hit singles, but through big fanbases are able to get decent sales for their albums.

I would be very surprised if Kylie or Madonna got another top 10 in the UK, radio won't play them and Streaming makes it even more difficult.

I don't think it matters what they release now, it's never going to be a huge hit. They should just stick to the touring.

The only period Madonna has struggled in is the MDNA era, and that was a terrible album with terrible singles as well. Otherwise Madonna has done perfectly well in the 21st century with a string of top ten hits, several of which topped the charts. Her new album will be number 1 on Sunday. Kylie was regularly getting top ten hits until Kiss Me Once.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You keep talking about the Giorgio Moroder song but it never even made the top 100. I think its Kylie's biggest flop single ever. So that sound obviously didn't work for her at all.