Options

How bad was Boy George?

Comments

• Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I never liked BG or CC but maybe I've only heard the hits. I can only think of Karma Chameleon and Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?

What are some of their best songs as I feel as though I might have missed the best of them in the 80s? He's an interesting character and likes lots of the same bands and artists as I do but for some reason I never liked his own songs (that I've heard).
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes Kevin and Karen were really going "at it." Well I s'ppose they are most of the time anyway.

Err... Dancing I meant.

DR, you are naughty!

Night all.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His voice was one thing, but there was no excuse for the fact that he stood comatose and completely still for the entire song without even mustering a smile.
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still persisting with the silly hat and make up. Quite a tragic spectacle all in all.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strangely it was reported in the Daily Mail a few weeks back he was to perform, but pulled out. Seems he did not want to sing an old song but a new one. I was surprised to hear he was actually performing.

Then as thought, 'Hello, is he do that on purpose out of spite?'
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He looked like he was in a comedown to me.
  • Options
    SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    I was baffled why they put a jive with that song...though Tristan and Aliona at least tried to make it look laid back. (What dance would you even put with that song anyway?)

Kevin looked like he'd swallowed a load of Super Balls!
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I didn't mind the CC performance at all, but then I really love George. :blush:

What I found really offputting was Karen and Kevin's frantic dancing...My GOD they looked like over wound up toys..ridiculous in fact.:o
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donna255 wrote: »
    Strangely it was reported in the Daily Mail a few weeks back he was to perform, but pulled out. Seems he did not want to sing an old song but a new one. I was surprised to hear he was actually performing.

Then as thought, 'Hello, is he do that on purpose out of spite?'

Of course he'd want to sing a new song, most artists do, it's a chance to promote a new album, what with nine million viewers. But the producers wanted to create an atmosphere which would appeal to "that age of viewers," they probably didn't realise how poor these people perform now. (Or maybe they do).

The clue is "and later on we've "Culture Club!" (everyone "ordered" to cheer enthusiastically) to hang on to the less than enthusiastic viewers, they not knowing what in fact they're in for.
  • Options
    Anne_CameronAnne_Cameron Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Kevin and Karen were a bit manic to say the least.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Kevin and Karen were a bit manic to say the least.

Both couples were a bit "manic" but it was a manic dance for all the participants, from the word go in a "manic" show.
    A less manic performance would have drawn adverse perceptions, compared with "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" for those who've seen it.
    I thought it brilliant.
    Didn't Anton look good?

I usually refer to him as "Buttons" in this pantomime as he never gets the girl/glitterball.

Now after that performance, I can't think of him as anything other than "Woody" from "Toy Story."
  • Options
    VientreVientre Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was always crap so no suprise really
  • Options
    PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    No one expects him to be as good as 30 years ago, of course not. People get older thats a fact ! However, there is simply no excuse for such an awful lifeless comatose peformance like we saw tonight. It was the biggest stage (as in tv audience) that he is ever likely to play again and frankly, he blew it.

Im a huge fan of 80's music and go to lots of 80's festivals and gigs and see lots of stars from that era who still sound fantastic but more so actually peform brilliantly with energy and a buzz. Boy George looked stoned. If I had tickets for their comeback tour I would ask for a refund. If George was ill he should'nt have peformed. He has done more damage then if he had pulled out.

Kate Bush sounded brilliant 34 years after her previous tour. I'm guessing life style is a big contributor to maintaining quality to your voice.
  • Options
    streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    He was barely audible and oddly subdued. Unlike the dancers, especially Kevin whose frantic jiving seemed somewhat OTT by comparison..
    I recorded the show, so I though I'd pressed the fast forward button by mistake when the dancers came on. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vientre wrote: »
    Was always crap so no suprise really

George in his youth had one of the most beautiful voices so I couldn't disagree more.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And who decided a Jive would be appropriate for Karma Chameleon?!
  • Options
    MayDMayD Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    streetwise wrote: »
    I though I'd pressed the fast forward button by mistake when the dancers came on. :D

Ha ha ha :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    streetwise wrote: »
    I recorded the show, so I though I'd pressed the fast forward button by mistake when the dancers came on. :D

They were ridiculous...and the song didn't suit the manic frenetic dance the four of them did. I found it actually embarrassing...especially Kevin and Karen
  • Options
    bigaltbigalt Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His last album was giid. Voice has changed but hey ho. That was bwry underwhelming to say the least.
    Kebin,calm down dear boy. You're on telly not on a stage, we can see you ok.
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's living proof the drugs don't work.
  • Options
    Wrenny-24Wrenny-24 Posts: 9,373
    Forum Member
    PoppySeed wrote: »
    Kate Bush sounded brilliant 34 years after her previous tour. I'm guessing life style is a big contributor to maintaining quality to your voice.

She did indeed! Her voice was really strong. Amazing show! :cool: She was a smoker for many years but gave up in the 90s.

I was really disappointed with BG's performance, so lacklustire. Like others have said, he didn't look 'with it' at all and also agree the dancing didn't fit with the performance! Way over danced.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrenny-24 wrote: »
    She did indeed! Her voice was really strong. Amazing show! :cool: She was a smoker for many years but gave up in the 90s.

I was really disappointed with BG's performance, so lacklustire. Like others have said, he didn't look 'with it' at all and also agree the dancing didn't fit with the performance! Way over danced.

So succinctly put;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    He's living proof the drugs don't work.

Who ever said they did:confused:
  • Options
    abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    George in his youth had one of the most beautiful voices so I couldn't disagree more.

He did. I still thought he looked good and enjoyed him..The dance was far more distracting than George though..
  • Options
    sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wonder if it was more of a lung problem apparently whitney had that doesn't George suffer from asthma if he warmed up his voice properly and didn't smoke would be better age is not an excuse glenn Gregory of heaven 17 sounds good.
    as does tony Hadley if anyone saw the itv special and Donny Osmond sad to say George needs to retire else he's ruining his legacy.