"Big Brother Stole My Life"

blackrockblackrock Posts: 3,873
Forum Member
✭✭✭
An interesting interview with the winner of the first-ever Big Brother:

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/celebrity/article4676824.ece

Comments

• Aint_mad_ATCHAAint_mad_ATCHA Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    waww! quite compeling that!
  • saffron500saffron500 Posts: 1,745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact he was lured back in 2006 says it all really, just a very weak man who perhaps wasnt sufficiently vetted in the first place to go into the original BB house.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Interesting. Thanks for that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a fascinating read. I have always thought that the housemates are used more than they use Big brother. The money the production company earns is phenomenal. The winner only receives a paltry sum. Wish they could plough back some of the money back into worthwhile causes.
  • JillyAJillyA Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scarily read somehwre the other day that 50% of school leavers think they will make their money when they leave school from doing Reality TV of some type.

I thought it was just my 15 year old. He doesn't seem to realise that that what seems to be a large amount to him at 15 is not going to set him up for life just give him some pin money for a few years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a fascinating read. I have always thought that the housemates are used more than they use Big brother. The money the production company earns is phenomenal. The winner only receives a paltry sum. Wish they could plough back some of the money back into worthwhile causes.

This is what has always bugged me about the way BB treats their HMs, especially those that are in the house the longest. I know at the end f the day it is a TV show that is there to make money, but the HMs are treated like cattle.

Surely at the very least they deserve:

a) to get the credit they deseve, especially those who make it to the final
    b) to get a decent prize (you win more just for putting up with Noel Edmunds for an hour, than you do for entertaining the nation for 3 months)
    c) to get decent aftercare support (both in terms of emotion/mental wellbeing, and carreer advice).

When BB started and there was concern about what affect being on BB would have on the HMs and whether the TV companies were exploiting people, there was lots of talk from Ch4/Edemol about how the HMs would be looked after and treated right both on and after the show. As far as I can tell, despite these promises, very little of this support ever materialised beyond the bare minimum. :mad:

At the end of the day, the HMs are who make the show. To me they are far more important and more deserving of financial reward and special treatment than even the likes of Davina.
  • straystray Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting account of one man's experience. I'm sure it must have been quite frightening for someone who, at heart, sounds like a loner who wanted a quiet life.
  • The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very interesting, it just goes to show what a drug fame is to some people.

Even when he knew the harm it had caused him he still couldn't stop himself from going back for more :(
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    P*ss off The Times.

The problem is laziness, poor education and parental apathy. The problem is not a television show.