Found Wallet STUFFED with cash.

124»

Comments

• zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have DEFINITELY handed it in to the bus company/offices. If I never got the cash handed back to me after no-one claimed it, fair enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you take it to the police you know it's been handed in.If you depend on the bus driver to hand it in there is the chance he won't.

But you automatically go to the driver and only later do you think I should have handed it in myself.

Well, yes. My first thought was to hand it into the driver, since everytime I've lost something on the bus or train, I contact the company. As it stands, it has been handed in to Lost Property. I just didn't want my hands on it at the time and I honestly think the amount in the wallet just shocked the crap out of me. As others have mentioned, there is CCTV on the bus. I don't think everyone is a bastard on the make, and I am probably too trusting for my own good, but I'd rather be like that. I realise I am a complete contradiction-- a cynic and a belief that most people are good!
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Handing it to the driver was probably the right thing to do, imagine if you got off the bus with it and the owner appeared, look like you were trying to pocket it.

Ring the Bus Company and check, that is what the owner will do.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes she did. Finders Keepers Losers Weepers. Oh and you do have a good memory.:)

What she did was theft. I'd be completely disgusted if a daughter of mine did this. The words 'no conscience' spring to mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmm
    ever heard of karma

It might not happen now, but it will some day.
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AaronG wrote: »
    No reflection or offense to the OP but I've long since taken to not believeing anyone who claims to find wads of cash in the street. I find people boast about such things far too often to seem likely.

As I said no reflection on the OP but I get so tired of hearing someone or other say to me almost on a bi-monthly basis "I found £50 just laying in the street"..that now I cannot help but not believe anyone who claims to have done the same, even if it's true.

I did find £40 once, just a 20 and 2 10's ruffled up together lying on the street.

For me theres a simple rule. If it's got someone ID (creditcard etc) I would hand it in. If it didn't and was purely cash, and I couldn't see clearly who's it was...I'd keep it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starsailor wrote: »
    I did find £40 once, just a 20 and 2 10's ruffled up together lying on the street.

For me theres a simple rule. If it's got someone ID (creditcard etc) I would hand it in. If it didn't and was purely cash, and I couldn't see clearly who's it was...I'd keep it.

I think this is about right. If there's no ID whatsoever in it, well, how is someone going to prove it's theirs? You might as well keep it if you find it in this situation. If the other person's daughter found the wallet with ID and what not in, then, that's theft as they would clearly have seen who's it was.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did once find a wallet with £5 in it, and enough ID in it to determine that the owner was a young, female student.

I contacted her father via the BT Homephone card that was in the wallet, ignored his attitude and found out where his daughter worked and went and handed it to her personally - complete with £5.

it's not to say i'd do the same now though because I probably wouldn't.
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    Skolastyka wrote: »
    According to the Buddhist philosophy the bad karma you accumulate in this life will be repaid in the next (completely redundant if you don't believe in reincarnation). It's not an immediate payback.

I find that when people speak of 'karma' in those terms they're actually referring to the Wiccan 'rule of three', something completely distinct from Buddhism.

Sorry, i know i'm being pedantic.

no no thanks you learn something new everyday !
    Im going to google and have a read thanks:)
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Mum left her purse in Asda and someone handed it in, she had quite a lot of cash in it as well.

There are plenty of honest people about, thankfully.:)
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rang the bus company a minute ago and the driver handed in the wallet and they will contact the owner. I do hope he gets his cash and wallet back.
    My husband was going on about rewards, but I honestly don't think like that. A reward was the furthest thing from my mind. We aren't struggling financially, but I could understood if someone who was kept the money. I still wouldn't have kept it if we were broke. In hindsight, I probably should have taken it home, contacted the owner/his bank/the police, but hey-ho.
    I think you should also let the local police station know as well, in case the owner contacts them.

As if it was me I know I'd be frantic with worry & my first thought would be to phone the bus company and the local police to inquire if it had been handed in.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I think this is about right. If there's no ID whatsoever in it, well, how is someone going to prove it's theirs? You might as well keep it if you find it in this situation. If the other person's daughter found the wallet with ID and what not in, then, that's theft as they would clearly have seen who's it was.

Because the real owner would approach the police (or the bus company or the shop or whoever) to say they had lost a wallet with X amount of cash & be able to give a description of it.

So you should still hand it in.
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    I too found a small wallet as I walked through Oxford city centre on a night out,
    It had a fiver and a few cards,
    I found out it belonged to a girl at a girls school in Ox so I handed it in the next day.