Are parents being lazy due to the snow?

2»

Comments

• DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Well the teachers have all struggled in, and the dinner ladies, and my husband and all the neighbours have gone to work, so it does seem they are the only ones too fragile to drive in an inch of snow on a well salted route.:D

I'd imagine they will still get full payment for servcies provided from the LEA though.

I think there is a little more to consider when being responsible for around 40 of other peoples kids on a coach/bus compared to parents in a car with their own. Our school bus has to drive around the villages, the main roads may be cleared but not every road.

Could you imagine the uproar if a coach did go out and had an accident full of the school kids?
  • RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If councils got the finger out and got some manpower into clearing the snow I'm not just alking about snowploughs and gritters which there have been very little out here. Way back you would see workmen from the council digging with shovels the snow to clear paths etc.
    The paths and roads here are awful and they are an accident waiting to happen so I don't blame parents for not sending the kids in.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If councils got the finger out and got some manpower into clearing the snow I'm not just alking about snowploughs and gritters which there have been very little out here. Way back you would see workmen from the council digging with shovels the snow to clear paths etc.
    The paths and roads here are awful and they are an accident waiting to happen so I don't blame parents for not sending the kids in.

The trouble is it all costs money and with cut backs etc unless we are all willing to put our hands in our pockets and pay more tax it can't happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My boy's school is closed, so I've had to take the day off work, but I resent the accusation I'm being lazy.

We both woke up at 9:30 on the dot, and since then I have been planning a whole range of exciting, educational activities for the day ahead...

We've already watched almost every episode of Spongebob Squarepants, and from 12 until 2 we're playing FIFA 11, before maybe getting dressed and watching plane crashes on youtube all afternoon...

We may even pop out and chuck some snowballs at each other if it's not too cold.

Lazy!? Pah! :mad:

I am envious in the extreme! I was praying that school would be shut so I could hang out with my little dudes, play Wii, cook pancakes and just bloody be.
  • LittleMinx25LittleMinx25 Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if i could get to the local diy shop i would buy a shovel & clear the school route & roads leading up to it if it meant my daughter could go to school but i guarantee you alot of parents still would not bother bringing the kids in cause of the tiny bit of ice on the steps out of their houses :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are lazier.... When I had my first child (he's 24) we never had the luxury of taking the pram on a bus, we never had those fancy wee buggies either... We just got on with it. In my Mums day it was much worse.. again, she just got on with it. As a kid we walked to school regardless of weather.. Buses were never an option. When I couldn't push my pram, I pulled it.. You had to go out and do your shopping, pay your bills etc etc .

These days I have snow boots for walking, daughter also has snow boots for walking, she is wrapped up warm and sent to school, with a pair of dry shoes in her bag for changing.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i dont know about being lazy, the pavements are so treacherous i nearly slipped several times today so i can understand why some children are kept at home
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are lazier.... When I had my first child (he's 24) we never had the luxury of taking the pram on a bus, we never had those fancy wee buggies either... We just got on with it. In my Mums day it was much worse.. again, she just got on with it. As a kid we walked to school regardless of weather.. Buses were never an option. When I couldn't push my pram, I pulled it.. You had to go out and do your shopping, pay your bills etc etc .

These days I have snow boots for walking, daughter also has snow boots for walking, she is wrapped up warm and sent to school, with a pair of dry shoes in her bag for changing.

When I was a kid the governments hadn't closed down 2/3rds of the primary schools so most were in walking distance ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Camino wrote: »
    i dont know about being lazy, the pavements are so treacherous i nearly slipped several times today so i can understand why some children are kept at home

Proper footwear will stop you from slipping. I fell last year, really mashed my hip bone... my own fault. I went and bought snow boots... sorted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denise wrote: »
    When I was a kid the governments hadn't closed down 2/3rds of the primary schools so most were in walking distance ;)

I'll give you that, but there's still plenty schools open and children are getting there ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll give you that, but there's still plenty schools open and children are getting there ;)

Of course, some will live within distance, some wont. My sons primary school is 4 miles away the majority of the route along a main road with no paths. Some parents live in the village where the school is, of course they will find it easier.

We are all in different situations, different distances, different routes, some have cars, some don't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And now we can do all of that online. Isn't progress great?
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Proper footwear will stop you from slipping. I fell last year, really mashed my hip bone... my own fault. I went and bought snow boots... sorted.

thank you teacher :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And now we can do all of that online. Isn't progress great?

Like I said, people got lazy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not sure if lazy or just different circumstances. I am not a youngster, I went to school through the 70s. School wasn't that far and this country hasn't seen snow like we have had this year (beginning and end) since 1963. Schools and post offices closed down in large numbers leaving people to travel further. How can we really compare?
  • Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And you did all that whilst being a working single parent too? Hats off to you tbh!
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denise wrote: »
    Of course, some will live within distance, some wont. My sons primary school is 4 miles away the majority of the route along a main road with no paths. Some parents live in the village where the school is, of course they will find it easier.

We are all in different situations, different distances, different routes, some have cars, some don't.

We're in same situation as you, Denise. We're about 2 miles from school and there are no footpaths - only a road - the entire way there, til you hit the village.

If I lived in the village my kids would be in school today - no question.

I do think things should be co-ordinated so the bus company understands if they school can open - with diverse staff coming from all directions - then they can be operational, too. If not - they should lose the contract and it be given to a bus company that will work so long as the schools are open.

I should add the bus company is a small family firm with the buses driven by the owner's daughter, son and himself - and the buses parked where they live, in another village. So it's not like he has a problem getting staff to work. They only have to step out their front door.

The bus in my kids' case is only a minibus with 6 or less kids on, not a mighty juggernaut containing 80 kids. The bus company will still be paid, I'll bet - even now they are providing no service.

If teachers, kids who can walk and kids whose parents can drive them can get to school today - there is zero reason hwy the bus can't operate. The road here is now passable, and we saw the gritters several times last night. If my husband could get to the main road from here to get to work - there is no reason a mini bus can't make it past, too.

As a taxpayer, I'm paying for that via the LEA paying them - and presumably today we're paying for a non existent service. I would have no objection to the bus company not bothering IF I was assured for every day they're a no show they are not paid.;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually seen a couple of people on FB moaning because some of the council websites are asking for parents to volunteer to come and clear the snow to the school doors. Comments like 'fck that, council runs the school so they can clear it' they have been offered hot drinks and sandwiches. The same parents will be moaning because their kids are doing their heads being stuck at home....:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, times change. So things were different in your day-- I prefer progress.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're in same situation as you, Denise. We're about 2 miles from school and there are no footpaths - only a road - the entire way there, til you hit the village.

I do think things should be co-ordinated so the bus company understands if they school can open - with diverse staff coming from all directions - then they can be operational, too. If not - they should lose the contract and it be given to a bus company that will work so long as the schools are open.

I should add the bus company is a small family firm with the buses driven by the owner's daughter, son and himself - and the buses parked where they live, in another village. So it's not like he has a problem getting staff to work. They only have to step out their front door.

The bus in my kids' case is only a minibus with 6 or less kids on, not a mighty juggernaut containing 80 kids. The bus company will still be paid, I'll bet - even now they are providing no service.

If teachers, kids who can walk and kids whose parents can drive them can get to school today - there is zero reason hwy the bus can't operate. The road here is now passable, and we saw the gritters several times last night. If my husband could get to the main road from here to get to work - there is no reason a mini bus can't make it past, too.

As a taxpayer, I'm paying for that via the LEA paying them - and presumably today we're paying for a non existent service. I would have no objection to the bus company not bothering IF I was assured for every day they're a no show they are not paid.;)

Our bus situation is different, they have to pick up from several villages and have to use 42 seater coaches. While the main route between my village and the one the school is in is clear, the side roads to some to the others are not. Also in the village the school is, you have to travel about 1/4 mile down a steep hill on a side road not treated. The coach also has to come from somewhere totally different.
  • Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If I drive my kids in my car, they're my responsibility, not sure I would want to be responsible for 6 of someone elses kids? Maybe that;'s why the buses have chickened out a bit. I mean, when one skids off the road & lands on its roof, what will parents be saying then?