Hotel Chocolat - worth the price?

andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
Forum Member
What do you think about Hotel Chocolat stuff?

I think the presentation is brilliant but can only eat a small amount of it as it tastes too rich

Comments

• .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I prefer Godiva.
  • foxydogfoxydog Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    What do you think about Hotel Chocolat stuff?

I think the presentation is brilliant but can only eat a small amount of it as it tastes too rich

Well worth it, fabulous chocolate and i find I only eat a small amount because it is so tasty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Totally worth it. 😍
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sure it's pricey, but it is worth it if only if its a treat once in a while.

Or sometimes its hard to resist, like the Squirrel's Stash they release in the Autumn.
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally worth it, I love their chocolate. I'm thinking of joining the tasting club thing they do.
  • SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    Totally worth it, I love their chocolate. I'm thinking of joining the tasting club thing they do.

My husband loves chocolate way more than I do and he is a member. He gets 4 boxes a year of dark chocs and just a couple of chocolates a day satisfies him - they are incredibly rich! (and lovely).
    Well worth the money.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    See, to me nothing is ever too rich.

Its why I had to cancel the chocolate tasting club deliveries. I was getting through them too quickly. Anyway, totally worth it.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    For me, it's absolutely worth it. I rarely eat any other brand of chocolate. I don't eat chocolate often, just as a special treat, so the price is OK for me, and as others have said they are very rich and satisfying, so they don't all get scoffed in one sitting! My favourites are the Christmas Gingerbread Puddles. OMG, they are amazing!
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    For me, it's absolutely worth it. I rarely eat any other brand of chocolate. I don't eat chocolate often, just as a special treat, so the price is OK for me, and as others have said they are very rich and satisfying, so they don't all get scoffed in one sitting! My favourites are the Christmas Gingerbread Puddles. OMG, they are amazing!

The ginger ones they do are always really nice. I've only ever had one choc from there that I've not liked (aside from ones with nuts as I don't like nuts) and that was this weird white chocolate one with cucumber and lime. It wasn't horrible it was just very weird!
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    The ginger ones they do are always really nice. I've only ever had one choc from there that I've not liked (aside from ones with nuts as I don't like nuts) and that was this weird white chocolate one with cucumber and lime. It wasn't horrible it was just very weird!

That does sound weird - I'd quite like to try it though!
  • cdtaylor_natscdtaylor_nats Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to get them but have switched to Montezuma.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member

I managed to get a box of chocolates off them that cost negative money due to a special offer teamed with Topcashback. Worth looking if they still do it.
  • gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    I love Hotel Chocolat. I got given one of their Easter eggs this year and it lasted me ages.

If you're with O2 they're always offering freebies on the priority app. I got some reindeer chocolates the other day and they're giving you 10% off right now too.
  • petral_galpetral_gal Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    See, to me nothing is ever too rich.

Its why I had to cancel the chocolate tasting club deliveries. I was getting through them too quickly. Anyway, totally worth it.

This!!!
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Its definitely too rich in my opinion! Each chocolate feels like its 200 calories and the chocolate slabs are extremely thich (too thick perhaps), but still if I get any hotel chocolat this Christmas, I will be delighted
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why people even bother with any other chocolate when there are Mars bars? ;-)
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is expensive but it's worth it and they make nice gifts. I love the mint chocolate they do. Living so far away from the closest I tend to stock up on them
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best chocolate I have had was by Pierre Marcolini. We got a box given as a wedding present last year when we got married and it was really lovely. I wouldn't pay the prices for them, as I couldn't justify the cost, but as a present it was most welcome!
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    This is the best place for chocolate http://www.choccywoccydoodah.com

I only heard of it last week when my friend went in there . Crazy prices but my friend gave me some of his slab of chocolate and it was melt in your mouth fantastic .
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    My Mum started buying chocs from them when the company was tiny, and after a while I started ordering from them too, and went down the monthly selection box route the same as Mum.

After Mum died in 2009 I stayed with them, but stopped the monthly boxes due to being diagnosed with a health condition so couldn't eat rich chocs any more. Every Xmas and for friends birthdays and other occasions I would order, and Xmas orders around £200.

The bigger the company got the more impersonal the service became. In 2012 I made a big Xmas order, well over £200, and the 1st week Jan 2013 a series of fraudulent transactions were made on my debit card, totalling over £100, for perfumes and makeup. I only spotted it because I check my balance every few days, and that day a scheduled DD had failed and my account was overdrawn, which has only happened once in 21 years.

Working in parternership with my bank, I contacted the companies I had made transactions with over the Xmas period and traced the fraud to Hotel Chocolat. I had thought it was them initially because it was the only company I had given my card details to over the phone, and I had spoken to a young lady in their call centre. Even though I had been reasonably sure it was them I still thoroughly checked with the other retailers.

I contacted Hotel Chocolat and told them of my suspicions, but they were very stand offish and couldn't wait to close the call and be rid of me. I was very unhappy as I had been a good customer for many years and my Mum before me. Between us we have spent thousands of pounds there.

So as far as I am concerned I will never order from them again. 2013 & 14 I have ordered all my chocs from Chococo and the recipients have said the Chococo chocs are much nicer. One friend who had been receiving Hotel Chocolat chocs for some years said that the Chococo ones were 'the best chocs I have ever had'.