Options

Trick or Treat

Comments

• Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just close the curtains, turn the tv up and refuse to open the door.

Last year my neighbours front door got egged because the kids didnt like the treats my neighbour gave them.

Halloween I hate it.
  • Options
    PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fieldfare wrote: »
    Why is everybody ignoring the posts about Halloween being a BRITISH festival and continuing with this American import thing? It happens every year and as a Scots-Irish person I get really irritated about it, its our festival, part of our culture and heritage that our ancestors took with them to the New World. My conclusion is that because its not part of English culture its dismissed as a foreign import.

The Americans do it a bit differently of course, it evolved over there, and it does annoy me that people do it the American way but lets be clear that it was ours first!

Here's how it was done in Scotland when I was little - and is still done like this round my home parts. Halloween is when the spirits of the dead get a window to come back and cause a bit of trouble so it is important to face up to them and tell them that we're not scared and they need to bugger off back to their own place. This is done by children dressing up in mad costumes carrying bright lanterns and going house to house and singing a song, doing a little skit or whatever. The ghosts in the house then go away and the children are thanked with some sweets. The tricks are on the ghosts.

Its a lovely British festival and it would be a shame to lose it through misunderstanding.

I'm with you on this one, and I am English. It sounds great the way it is done in Scotland would love to see it done the traditional way.
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    I don't do Trick or Treat. A sign goes up on the door and i have a knock-free evening. :cool:
  • Options
    StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fieldfare wrote: »
    Why is everybody ignoring the posts about Halloween being a BRITISH festival and continuing with this American import thing? It happens every year and as a Scots-Irish person I get really irritated about it, its our festival, part of our culture and heritage that our ancestors took with them to the New World. My conclusion is that because its not part of English culture its dismissed as a foreign import.

The Americans do it a bit differently of course, it evolved over there, and it does annoy me that people do it the American way but lets be clear that it was ours first!

Here's how it was done in Scotland when I was little - and is still done like this round my home parts. Halloween is when the spirits of the dead get a window to come back and cause a bit of trouble so it is important to face up to them and tell them that we're not scared and they need to bugger off back to their own place. This is done by children dressing up in mad costumes carrying bright lanterns and going house to house and singing a song, doing a little skit or whatever. The ghosts in the house then go away and the children are thanked with some sweets. The tricks are on the ghosts.

Its a lovely British festival and it would be a shame to lose it through misunderstanding.

How else are you meant to slag off Americans?

Also I wouldn't be too quick to complain about the American way of doing it. It evolved differently over here because it combined Halloween and the Day of the Dead festival.
  • Options
    winenroseswinenroses Posts: 6,470
    Forum Member
    Like a lot of holidays it has it's routes in pegan rituals.

The one with the gypsy lady selling pegs door to door, then putting a curse on you if you don't buy any? Old Peggy Ann, eh?
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I leave the gates unlocked on Halloween night and award anyone who braves our front door with a big bag of sweets.... we live in a cemetery lodge.

Rarely are we bothered!
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    winenroses wrote: »
    The one with the gypsy lady selling pegs door to door, then putting a curse on you if you don't buy any? Old Peggy Ann, eh?

Clearly Peggy Ann knows how to get from a to b, good old routes...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skolastyka wrote: »
    Don't they have a rule in the US (or parts of the US at least) that trick or treaters can only go to houses that have Halloween decorations outside, because that is a sign that the residents want to participate? I think that's a good idea.

We don't answer the door to trick or treaters, though as it's usually the same kids every year they no longer bother us because they know by now we don't participate. Never had any problems with 'tricks'.

No the rule is if the person has their front lights on you can go to their houses. If their lights are off then you can't. (Atleast in Texas it is)

The times we haven't decorated we just kept our lights on and the kids came around for candy and we gave it out.
  • Options
    Velvet GloveVelvet Glove Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work for a charity and I got a lovely call earlier this week from a lady who wanted to go collecting for us dressed up! I just thought that it would be so nice if that was what traditionally happened at Hallow'en.

I grew up in Scotland and did guising. You dress up, go round the houses and perform for your treats. I have some wonderful childhood memories of doing that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This loathsome American import custom should be banned...
    I hear it's dying out over there.
    ..I grew up in Scotland and did guising. You dress up, go round the houses and perform for your treats. I have some wonderful childhood memories of doing that.
    Thank you (and Fieldfare), I was trying to remember what the old tradition was. Trick AND Treat, maybe a bit like Christmas carolling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bean999 wrote: »
    I hear it's dying out over there.

Not anywhere that I've seen it isn't. You have to remember as well that it's not just Halloween but Día de los Muertos too. The two are very intermingled.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Studmuffin wrote: »
    Not anywhere that I've seen it isn't. You have to remember as well that it's not just Halloween but Día de los Muertos too. The two are very intermingled.

You aren't asking a DS audience to understand integration, are you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mamasan wrote: »

Good point! :D
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't the Scots do Mischief?
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hear it's dying out over there

You heard wrong. :)
  • Options
    OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    No i've only ever been trick or treating once, mummy wouldn't let me:cry:
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i always thought that when the older women knock on your door, they were selling their bodies,
    anything for a fix.. lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    You heard wrong. :)
    Do you mean trick or treating or Halloween? This thread is trick or treat, I know there are a few other Halloween threads.
    Same question, and do non-Mexicans celebrate the Day of the Dead?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean trick or treating or Halloween? This thread is trick or treat, I know there are a few other Halloween threads.

Same question, and do non-Mexicans celebrate the Day of the Dead?

I mean trick or treating AND halloween.

The day of the dead reference is to why Halloween in America AND trick or treating is not the same as it is the UK (which seems to be greatly upsetting some people).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mamasan wrote: »
    You're a card you really are :D.

When you get the chance you might wish to check out Festivals at Eid, the Notting Hill & other Carnivals and Diwali, the Festival of Light, in any of the UK's multicultural cities. Obviously that's once Halloween is out of the way.

In Colorado Springs the USAF academy chapel is as you can see a wonderful building. Sometimes they give visitors a tour. Your guide will proudly show you the different parts of the building dedicated to the different faiths of the world (or anyway the world of the USAF). When you ask him where the place of worship is for Muslims (representing 1/5 of the world population) he will make some polite apology and admit that there isn't one. Looking at the above link it turns out there isn't one for Hindus either (1/7 of the world population).
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :) They don't do trick or treat round my way.Never seen or heard a thing for years.
    Maybe it's because i stand at the front window(with the light on) in my exceptionally large Y fronts?.;):D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I ignored some trick or treaters one year. I didn't answer the door. 5 minutes later there was a power cut. I honestly thought they had done something as a trick. I was a bit unnerved at the time.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sketcher wrote: »
    I ignored some trick or treaters one year. I didn't answer the door. 5 minutes later there was a power cut. I honestly thought they had done something as a trick. I was a bit unnerved at the time.

:mad: In some places the old folk are terrorised by yobos extorting money from them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mean trick or treating AND halloween.

The day of the dead reference is to why Halloween in America AND trick or treating is not the same as it is the UK (which seems to be greatly upsetting some people).
    You're right of course, there's nothing like Día de los Muertos in the UK. When I was a student I worked in a charity shop selling among other things Mexican-made gifts (Fair Trade). I remember around Halloween we wanted to sell some of these skeletons and macabre Mexican pieces (which we knew probably from television) but they weren't in the catalogue :).

In my experience hardly anyone goes trick or treating any more, I'd read that it was similar in the States.

I'm bound to say the rosy view of Scottish 'guising' which posters have mentioned it turns out wasn't entirely rosy, sometimes it was just a cover for begging: Glasgow Herald 1929
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're right of course, there's nothing like Día de los Muertos in the UK. When I was a student I worked in a charity shop selling among other things Mexican-made gifts (Fair Trade). I remember around Halloween we wanted to sell some of these skeletons and macabre Mexican pieces (which we knew probably from television) but they weren't in the catalogue :).

In my experience hardly anyone goes trick or treating any more, I'd read that it was similar in the States.

I'm bound to say the rosy view of Scottish 'guising' which posters have mentioned it turns out wasn't entirely rosy, sometimes it was just a cover for begging: Glasgow Herald 1929

That's wrong. Planety of kids around here go trick or treating. I'm in Texas btw.