Options

Why do they not release 32gb versions of android phones in UK?

jsg34jsg34 Posts: 56
Forum Member
I am an apple user, but am tempted to move over to android. But it seems to me that phone manufacturers do not want to give customers in the UK android phones with 32gb of internal memory.

I like the look of both the sony z3 and lg g3 - but in the uk only 16gb models are available - yet elsewhere in the world you can get a 32gb version!

When you look at how much extra apple charges for its higher capacity models - surely these android phone manufacturers could make some easy extra money by offering a choice of models?

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    possibly because that vast majority of people in the UK buy a 16GB phone?
    when i had a 32GB phone i found that i filled it up just for the sake of it.
    last 2 phones have been 16GB and currently have 4GB free.
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsg34 wrote: »
    I am an apple user, but am tempted to move over to android. But it seems to me that phone manufacturers do not want to give customers in the UK android phones with 32gb of internal memory.

I like the look of both the sony z3 and lg g3 - but in the uk only 16gb models are available - yet elsewhere in the world you can get a 32gb version!

When you look at how much extra apple charges for its higher capacity models - surely these android phone manufacturers could make some easy extra money by offering a choice of models?

With most Android phones they give you the option of having a SD memory card.

I did post a 128gb card on Amazon for I think it was just over £50 but 64gb cards can be had for a lot cheaper.

I normally have all the apps etc on the 16g memory on my S5 and then have all my music, videos and podcasts etc on my 64gb memory card (which I have less than 3gb of space left on).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With most Android phones they give you the option of having a SD memory card.

although this is now starting to become less common than it was.
  • Options
    jsg34jsg34 Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    The trouble with a micro sd card is that apps like iplayer and sky go will only download to internal memory. You wouldn't be able to download much to watch on the train on a 16gb model!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    although this is now starting to become less common than it was.

Is it?

HTC decided to include the option on their M8 phone where the previous model did not and I thought most of the others did (apart from the LG's and Nexus phones)?
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My old HTC One was 32Gb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trouble with a micro sd card is that apps like iplayer and sky go will only download to internal memory. You wouldn't be able to download much to watch on the train on a 16gb model!

that's a 4.4.x kit kat restriction.
  • Options
    sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Is it?

HTC decided to include the option on their M8 phone where the previous model did not and I thought most of the others did (apart from the LG's and Nexus phones)?

LG G3 has sd card support
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    that's a 4.4.x kit kat restriction.

And likely to get more restrictive going forward - if you wish to stick with Google Android rather than a fork.
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    My old HTC One was 32Gb.

As is my Note 3.

I think the OP is just generalising "android phones" in the title when he is discussing 2 specific phones in his actual post.
  • Options
    ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new Samsung Galaxy Alpha comes only in a 32gb size. No expandable memory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sethpet wrote: »
    LG G3 has sd card support

I did think that it's was just the G2 and not the G3 during the day.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my note 3 has 32 so does the new note 4
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ASIFZED wrote: »
    The new Samsung Galaxy Alpha comes only in a 32gb size. No expandable memory.

That's because its a copy of the iPhone - good and bad! ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    That's because its a copy of the iPhone - good and bad! ;-)

Guess so. But 32gb is probably enough for most users and solves the issue of not being able to store apps to the external SD card. With cloud services in the background, I'd probably be able to live with that. Currently with an S4 Mini (which I love!) which is 8gb internal, but have a 64gb memory card. I'm only on half of that.

Personally, hoping next year's S6 will take the Alpha's styling and come with 64gb on board. Will hand my dosh over then!
  • Options
    gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Upto the developer to allow saving to the SD card. It can be easily done. Pocketcast allows you to store to the SD card and so does Google music.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gavo360 wrote: »
    Upto the developer to allow saving to the SD card. It can be easily done. Pocketcast allows you to store to the SD card and so does Google music.

Yes, but sadly it's not always easy to get developers to do something that is probably very simple.

And I don't like KitKat that now stops file managers being able to write/delete files on the SD card - unless said file manager is a system app. Obviously rooting fixes all this, but I don't generally root (and can't if I want to use mobile banking, Sky Go etc).

I would like to be treated with some respect and be able to give implicit permission for an app that I trust to do what it likes, and I don't like the (even if well intentioned) security being introduced by Google that could lead to Android becoming far more closed, almost iOS like, in subsequent updates.

Something I fear Google wants to do, which could then trigger the point where Android (just like so many other OSes before it) peak and then decline. Not that I can think of any OS that could take over based on what's available today.
  • Options
    biggytbiggyt Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    My Android phone is 32GB and I am in the UK
  • Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My nexus 5 has 32gb of storage. I like to keep music and audio books on it so I needed a lot more than 16gb.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    And I don't like KitKat that now stops file managers being able to write/delete files on the SD card - unless said file manager is a system app. Obviously rooting fixes all this, but I don't generally root (and can't if I want to use mobile banking, Sky Go etc).

I'm pretty certain that isn't true. Apps can't write willy nilly to SD card but they can definitely write to specified directories and you can store your media on there. As mentioned by somebody else, it is down to app developers to stick to design guides.

As for 32GB phones, they are available in the UK.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Writing to specific directories is no good for a file manager. At least Sony includes one on the Xperia (albeit one you need to pay to activate all features) whereas Motorola doesn't on the Moto G. This means you either manage files via a PC or remove the card and edit elsewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone confirm then.

My S4 Mini is due for the Kit Kat update sometime soon. If this happens, will apps that I've stored to my SD card be wiped? And I won't be permitted to transfer apps to the sd card in future?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My S4 Mini is due for the Kit Kat update sometime soon. If this happens, will apps that I've stored to my SD card be wiped? And I won't be permitted to transfer apps to the sd card in future?

read this
    http://www.androidcentral.com/kitkat-sdcard-changes
  • Options
    gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Previous samsungs I've used on kit kat still let you transfer apps to the SD card via the application manager, not all apps but most.
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OnePlus One has 64GB :) Getting mine very soon. I ordered one today :D