Special Constables. What motivates them to do the job?

madlh100madlh100 Posts: 9,893
Forum Member
For anyone who doesn't know what one is, it is basically an unpaid police officer.

I am currently on the security vetting stage/background checks and all that which take months. I passed my assessment. :D Pass mark 35/40 and I got 37.

I just wonder what motivates people to do it?

My reasons are that I want to do something I think I will love. I want to give something back to the community, and I want to experience the challenges of a police officer. Not much really phases me and I can see myself dealing with some of the worse situations like skin of a duck's nose.

My dad doesn't understand it. He would rather me get a proper job. :mad: Something that pays. I do have another job, but I only do one day a week.

I went to a open evening for people wanting to become a special, and I was shocked at how many people were doing it just to become a regular officer. They're not recruiting at the minute for regulars so it is a step in the door. Not that this is why I want to do it.

I get so excited when I see police officers. :o I just get a buzz from anything to do with the police.

It is not about the money for me. It is a rigorous recruitment process. If you are successful at all the stages you then have to do 6 months training. A lot of work for an unpaid job and a job that you will risk your life in. I'm not sure everyone who applies does it for the right reasons.

Your thoughts on what motivates people, and anything else you think about special constables?

Tom :)

Comments

• HarryValleyHarryValley Posts: 16,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they probably want to do something they think they will love. They want to give something back to the community, and they want to experience the challenges of a police officer. Not much really phases them and they can see themselves dealing with some of the worse situations like skin of a duck's nose.
  • sallycamebacksallycameback Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they're mugs. Who works for nothing?
  • Rose BuddRose Budd Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I worked with somebody who was a special for over 10 years. He kept applying to join the police and they kept turning him down. Didn't stop them using his services for free thou so he couldn't have been that bad.
  • sallycamebacksallycameback Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose Budd wrote: »
    I worked with somebody who was a special for over 10 years. He kept applying to join the police and they kept turning him down. Didn't stop them using his services for free thou so he couldn't have been that bad.

Exactly, and why should they pay him when he was quite happy to mug for them for ten years for nowt?
  • delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    power hungry no-marks,willing to work for nothing for the slightest hint of authority.

ACAB
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Babylon bwoy!. :cool::D
  • MadameFifiMadameFifi Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    they do it because they all want to be proper police eventually and they think its a back door route into the job

fifi x
  • MadameFifiMadameFifi Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Rose Budd wrote: »

happens quite regular tbh, you dont have to be as intelligent to get in the specials but its no guarantee that you will get in the regulars

fifi x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect it's to get the feeling of being a proper police officer, even though your only a 'plastic' one. :cool:
  • wayne71wayne71 Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Mugs, who takes any notice of the plastic police anyway ?

The kids around here take the piss out of them something rotten, why do they humiliate themselves i dont know.
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    HALibutt wrote: »
    I expect it's to get the feeling of being a proper police officer, even though your only a 'plastic' one. :cool:

No - "Plastic" Police refers to PCSO's which are something entirely different. Make sure you know what you're talking about when getting involved in a discussion, it avoids embarrassment.
    Forum Member
    wayne71 wrote: »
    Mugs, who takes any notice of the plastic police anyway ?

The kids around here take the piss out of them something rotten, why do they humiliate themselves i dont know.

You're talking about PCSO's. You'd find it incredibly hard to differentiate between a Special and a regular PC
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somner wrote: »
    No - "Plastic" Police refers to PCSO's which are something entirely different. Make sure you know what you're talking about when getting involved in a discussion, it avoids embarrassment.

I'm not embarassed at all. I can call them whatever I want to.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Special Constables have all of the power of a "proper" one. It's the Community Support officers (who are paid) who have the limited powers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know someone who is a special constable. He knows that theyre often referred to as plastic bobbies (as well as the PCSO's) I didn't just make this stuff up!
    Forum Member
    I'm not embarassed at all. I can call them whatever I want to.

Of course you can, you only make yourself look silly though. You wouldn't call a Health Care Assistant a Doctor, would you?
    Forum Member
    I know someone who is a special constable. He knows that theyre often referred to as plastic bobbies (as well as the PCSO's) I didn't just make this stuff up!

Why would they be plastic though? They are no different to regulars, except they do it voluntarily rather than as a paid job.
  • That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    I'm not embarassed at all.
    Thick skin is a really useful quality :)
    Forum Member
    MadameFifi wrote: »
    they do it because they all want to be proper police eventually and they think its a back door route into the job

fifi x

Not all of them, but it is certainly a reason for quite a few of them. I know of a few locals who are Specials and have been for years but have never had any interest in joining as a regular.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course you can, you only make yourself look silly though. You wouldn't call a Health Care Assistant a Doctor, would you?

I dunno, if someone used a vague slang term and I had misidentified the exact post to which was being referred I'd mostly be embarrassed for the pedantry of my accusor. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would they be plastic though? They are no different to regulars, except they do it voluntarily rather than as a paid job.

I'm not putting them down if that's what you think. I heard him called it at work and he said he 'gets that a lot' or something like that. I think he even laughed about it.
  • madlh100madlh100 Posts: 9,893
    Forum Member
    Clearly some people haven't a clue what they're going on about in this thread.

Wayne. It is very hard to tell the difference between a special and a regular. They do the exact same job. Have the same uniform, or maybe slightly tweaked so you can't see the difference.

The only thing I can think of knowing the difference would be to see their warrant card.

Somner, I agree. Not bothered abotu being a regular. Might feel differently when I get into the special one day, but at the minute I don't. When I went to this specials evening I would say 95% of them wanted to do it to become a regular officer.

I think they all deserve so much respect. Such a hard recruitment process and so much time you have to put into it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madlh100 wrote: »

I think they all deserve so much respect. Such a hard recruitment process and so much time you have to put into it.

I dont respect people who accept money for robbing and imprisoning sick people, why should I respect those willing to do it for free?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

Special constables don't have powers of arrest so they are not like real police officers.

Most of them do seem to go on the same "How to be an arrogant tw*t" course though.
    Forum Member
    Special constables don't have powers of arrest so they are not like real police officers.

Most of them do seem to go on the same "How to be an arrogant tw*t" course though.

Yes they do have the power of arrest. If you saw a SC in the street you'd find it hard to tell them apart from a regular, and they have the EXACT same powers and responsibilities. Some may have SC on their eppaulettes, and their warrant card will state Specials Constable. There are rarely any other differences.

You're getting them confused with PCSO's.