Classic iPod question on transferring songs.

wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So, my classic iPod (80GB) is 5 years old now, and i think it's on its way out.
Had a couple of issues where it has started turning off by itself. It also has a couple of little black lines on the screen.

So i will probably go out and buy a new one, but the issue here is i have over 2500 songs on it that i really dont want to lose. And although some of them are still on the PC in various libraries, i am never going to remember what i have on there without writing it all down lol
I also have a few playlists that i dont want to have to re-do.

Is there an EASY way to copy the songs from my current ipod onto a PC and then transfer them back to my new iPod ?

Be good to hear suggestions on how to do or software to use....nothing too techie as im not too good with that sort of thing - thanks :)

Comments

• user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't iTunes handle all that?
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wildhollie wrote: »
    So, my classic iPod (80GB) is 5 years old now, and i think it's on its way out.
    Had a couple of issues where it has started turning off by itself. It also has a couple of little black lines on the screen.

So i will probably go out and buy a new one, but the issue here is i have over 2500 songs on it that i really dont want to lose. And although some of them are still on the PC in various libraries, i am never going to remember what i have on there without writing it all down lol
    I also have a few playlists that i dont want to have to re-do.

Is there an EASY way to copy the songs from my current ipod onto a PC and then transfer them back to my new iPod ?

Be good to hear suggestions on how to do or software to use....nothing too techie as im not too good with that sort of thing - thanks :)

I lost most of my music a while back and the way I did was this.

Double click Itunes and go to the Ipod settings. Enable disc use and then apply.

exit Itunes and the go to my computer. Double click on the Ipod icon in my computer. go to organse at the top and make sure that you display all files. You should see a hidden file on your Ipod called Ipod-Control. Double click on that folder and you should see a load of folders in that.

Double click on the Music folder and you should see a load of folders with F00 etc these are secure file on the Ipod of your music. Just copy them across to your hard drive and then you should be able to reload them into Itunes and work perfectly. then just eject the Ipod after you have done all the copying of the files.

I hope this helps....
  • wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lost most of my music a while back and the way I did was this.

Double click Itunes and go to the Ipod settings. Enable disc use and then apply.

exit Itunes and the go to my computer. Double click on the Ipod icon in my computer. go to organse at the top and make sure that it is displayy all files. You should see a hidden file on your Ipod called Ipod-Control. Double click on that folder and you should see a load of folders in that.

Double click on the Music folder and you should see a load of folders with F00 etc these are secure file on the Ipod of your music. Just copy them across to your hard drive and then you should be able to reload them into Itunes and work perfectly. then just eject the Ipod after you have done all the copying of the files.

thanks for that - i dont want to copy them into the library as there are over 7500 songs in the library and i will never find them again in there ! :eek:

Can i copy them into a playlist for instance ? or should i just create a new user on my PC and copy them into the new library ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for that - i dont want to copy them into the library as there are over 7500 songs in the library and i will never find them again in there ! :eek:

Can i copy them into a playlist for instance ? or should i just create a new user on my PC and copy them into the new library ?

I would create a new user and copy them in there, that way you know that you have them all. The problem I had was that Zune decided to delete all my music all of a sudden as I have a Windows Phone. I had to copy over all songs from my IPod to Itunes. It took just over an hour, but at least I do have the music now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=DANCE OF DEATH;62486773]I would create a new user and copy them in there, that way you know that you have them all. The problem I had was that Zune decided to delete all my music all of a sudden as I have a Windows Phone. I had to copy over all songs from my IPod to Itunes. It took just over an hour, but at least I do have the music now.[/QUOTE]

That might be the way forward, what about my playlists ?
    i guess i will lose all of those ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh last question, if i transfer these over, wont it lose the artist and album names ?

had a quick browse on the web and found this ?

http://www.easyipodtransfer.com/ipod-to-itunes-transfer#awards

Has anyone used this before ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh last question, if i transfer these over, wont it lose the artist and album names ?

had a quick browse on the web and found this ?

http://www.easyipodtransfer.com/ipod-to-itunes-transfer#awards

Has anyone used this before ?

No because if you open one of the folders that you have copied it over it will show what song it is, what album it is from and who the band is. All you basically doing is copying the secure version of the music that is on your Ipod from that to your hard drive. So you don't need any other program.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Oh last question, if i transfer these over, wont it lose the artist and album names...
    No, all that info is included in the music file's metadata.
  • jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    iTunes will copy any songs that are bought from they store to your PC. Any songs that aren't legal will need to done manually through ITunes.