Colour!! Or rather lack of.

Hi...the last time I had a TV where
the colour went was when I had a TV with a tube!! I have a small TV next to my bed..a combo..the DVD only lasted about a year and hardly ever used it. (not too worried about that)...however...I noticed a few nights ago that everything red is now orange...in fact no colour is as it should be. It is a "Bush"..Ok I need a new one..any advice on makes etc?? Looked at Argos..the smallest (which is fine) is around £99.99...................thought they would be much cheaper now!! Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I'm assuming that because you mentioned price, that you want the cheapest combo and aren't too bothered about the picture quality or the sound. When you say the smallest I guess you mean a 19 inch so I won't bother with any 22 inch ones.

TV/DVD combos are always going to be a compromise. There are a very few with quality equal to a good TV on its own and you'd be talking £200+. Even some of the most expensive combos are dreadful.

This 2012 19 inch Toshiba Regza 19DL502 with a standard definition Freeview tuner (manufactured by Toshiba) can be bought online for £99 at Electronic Empire or Play.com. The latest model 19DL502B2 is £125 at Amazon: http://www.electronicempire.co.uk/televisions/led-tvs/toshiba-regza-19dl502-19-led-dvd-combi?zenid=707tbhikdgocia8bd8r415s9n5

That's the only one I would recommend but really it's nothing special, just the best out of a group of combos some of which are dire, although probably it's just that I'm too fussy.

On Amazon this 19 inch combo for £99 is popular, but the manufacturer is known for making poor quality combos: http://www.amazon.co.uk/LCD-COMBI-FREEVIEW-SAMSUNG-SCREEN/dp/B007LJV27I/ref=sr_1_33?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1392318408&sr=1-33&keywords=tv%2Fdvd+combos

Or possibly better than both above combos there's this 19 inch Finlux with a muli-region player for £130 also on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Finlux-Multi-Region-Freeview-Caravan-19H6030-DM/dp/B00CFM7UIQ/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1392320970&sr=1-12&keywords=tv%2Fdvd+combos

If you are thinking about a 22inch there's only one, and it's very good, as good as some of the best TVs, but it's pricey; the Linsar 22LED1000S at John Lewis. If that's far too expensive for you then I'd have a look on Amazon and pick one with good reviews where the reviewers seem to know what they're talking about.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    This 2012 19 inch Toshiba Regza 19DL502 with a standard definition Freeview tuner (manufactured by Toshiba)

No, manufactured by Vestel, most Toshiba sets (and all smaller ones) are just badged Vestel's.

We provided, and fitted, a load of Toshiba TV/DVD's for a new hotel.

That's the only one I would recommend but really it's nothing special, just the best out of a group of combos some of which are dire, although probably it's just that I'm too fussy.

On Amazon this 19 inch combo for £99 is popular, but the manufacturer is known for making poor quality combos: http://www.amazon.co.uk/LCD-COMBI-FREEVIEW-SAMSUNG-SCREEN/dp/B007LJV27I/ref=sr_1_33?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1392318408&sr=1-33&keywords=tv%2Fdvd+combos

As there's not even a brand name mentioned it's difficult to know, but it's probably a Vestel, and if it's not it's something poorer than a Vestel :D

Or possibly better than both above combos there's this 19 inch Finlux with a muli-region player for £130 also on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Finlux-Multi-Region-Freeview-Caravan-19H6030-DM/dp/B00CFM7UIQ/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1392320970&sr=1-12&keywords=tv%2Fdvd+combos

Also a Vestel

If you are thinking about a 22inch there's only one, and it's very good, as good as some of the best TVs, but it's pricey; the Linsar 22LED1000S at John Lewis. If that's far too expensive for you then I'd have a look on Amazon and pick one with good reviews where the reviewers seem to know what they're talking about.

Yet another Vestel set.

It's also quite possible that the OP's duff Bush is a Vestel as well - they make most of the cheap junk brands.

Linsar has the advantage of a two year exchange warranty though, so same set but at least double the warranty.
    Forum Member
    Hi Nigel, I had a bet with myself that if I posted that it was manufactured by Toshiba, you'd be here all guns blazing saying it was a Vestel.

You didn't disappoint me!
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what isn't a Vestel? Anything in that price range?
    Forum Member
    BMR wrote: »
    So what isn't a Vestel? Anything in that price range?

There's a couple of Samsungs, but at the top end of the range.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a couple of Samsungs, but at the top end of the range.

About 12 months ago I overheard a conversation in a Currys store where the salesman was claiming that their Logik TVs were made by the same people that made Samsung tellies. I've no idea how true this is.....
  • .Dozy Rosie.Dozy Rosie Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for replies...will get it sorted over the weekend..:D
    Forum Member
    Hi Nigel, I had a bet with myself that if I posted that it was manufactured by Toshiba, you'd be here all guns blazing saying it was a Vestel.

You didn't disappoint me!

Well as you deliberately lied about the manufacturer you could expect to be corrected.
    Forum Member
    About 12 months ago I overheard a conversation in a Currys store where the salesman was claiming that their Logik TVs were made by the same people that made Samsung tellies. I've no idea how true this is.....

Not any Logik sets I've ever seen, and I doubt there's any truth whatsoever in it - but like all the 'made up brand names' it can be manufactured by entirely different people, with some Bush sets even manufactured by two different companies at the same time, entirely different sets but with exactly the same model numbers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member

Not as far as I know, I presume LG make their own?.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    How about getting it repaired.

But are spares available and can it be economically repaired?
    Forum Member
    Well as you deliberately lied about the manufacturer you could expect to be corrected.

I don't know why you have this grudge against me. I didn't deliberately lie, I took the info from the retailer's site, but was hesitant to include it, because I know you never like to miss an opportunity to get your oar in. It's no help to the OP and no-one cares whether it's a Vestel or not.
    Forum Member
    I don't know why you have this grudge against me. I didn't deliberately lie, I took the info from the retailer's site, but was hesitant to include it, because I know you never like to miss an opportunity to get your oar in. It's no help to the OP and no-one cares whether it's a Vestel or not.

No grudge against you, I don't even take any note whatsoever of the user name, and yours doesn't seem in any way familiar?. As for deliberately lying you gave the impression that you knew it was a Vestel set and deliberately hid the fact - even specifically claiming it was 'manufactured' by Toshiba.

EVERYONE should care that's it's a Vestel or not, you're recommending it as a 'good set' when it's a cheap crappy one like you get in the Supermarkets.

So I would say it's of great help to the OP, if it helps him not to replace one short-lived crappy set with another the same.
  • White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep I was going to add, you get what you pay for.

Plus it's better to buy separates - no excuse with the slimline DVD players that are out these days, and if the dvd then goes, its £30 not £100 to sort it.

My advice is spend a little more and get a top branded tv and DVD player as separates.

You've just spent £100 for a year. Maybe if you'd bought eg Panasonic or Samsung, you'd have spent £200-300 but got 5 years. Much better value.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep I was going to add, you get what you pay for.

Yes and no. Cheaper usually means worse quality but there are still best and worst options at each price point. And there are often end of the line bargains to be had too.

Plus it's better to buy separates - no excuse

Lack of space and a desire to have everything on the same remote are mine...
    Forum Member
    Yes and no. Cheaper usually means worse quality but there are still best and worst options at each price point. And there are often end of the line bargains to be had too.

End of line bargains are always worth looking for, as you can get a far better set for a good price - and quite often the later set is no better, and probably cheaper made :D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just as a matter of interest Nigel what is so particularly bad about Vestel?
    Forum Member
    Just as a matter of interest Nigel what is so particularly bad about Vestel?

Cheaply made sets using cheap components, with poorish performance and high failure rates.

Basically if you want a cheap TV, then that's the sort of thing you get - but at least schematics are available for them, which puts them ahead of some of the other cheap gear.

I've got a Vestel/Hitachi Plasma (for free), the customer (who bought it from Currys) got tired of it going wrong so bought a new Sony from us, and asked us to dispose of the old one. It goes faulty once or twice a year :D
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should fix it better then Nigel!!!:)
    Forum Member
    webbie wrote: »
    You should fix it better then Nigel!!!:)

Unfortunately I'm not prepared to pay for a new main PCB, even assuming it was still available :D I wouldn't even be confident that replacing it would provide a cure anyway, it strikes me more as a design flaw (common to Vestel sets).
  • White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lack of space and a desire to have everything on the same remote are mine...

Always worth having a look for end of line. Richer Sounds is a good place to start here as well as keeping your eye out for sales around this time as the new years models come in.

Generally though, if you buy a top brand you're fairly safe. Unknown brands are very hit and miss. You do get what you pay for generally though. Far better to buy an end of line TV from a top brand that's been £300 and is reduced to £150 than a cheap brand at £150.

As for space, hardly an issue as many DVD players are only around 1 or 2 cm thick these days even at the budget end of the market.

I'm not in anyway recommending this,as it was just a random find, but this is a good example at Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5338791.htm

Exceptionally slim for £28.

There are several LCD 19" TV's here from top brands eg Samsung, LG, for £100-130: https://www.richersounds.com/products/home-cinema/lcd-and-plasma/lcd-led-oled-tvs#1

Again not recommending anything, just illustrating that you can have top brands for budget prices although personally I'd always pay that little bit more.

As for 2 remotes, yep that's a compromise but personally I'd rather have 2 remotes than pay out for a new tv AND DVD player at £xxx when the laser in the DVD player goes and all that was needed was a new DVD player at less than £30!

There's always those All in One Remotes as another option.