Sky broadband connection problems

cp2cp2 Posts: 955
Forum Member
✭✭
A couple of weeks ago I got tired of intermittent drop outs with my Sky broadband connection and phoned Sky to see if they could see a reason from their end.
After performing a few tests without any action required on my part I was advised that the router had been identified as the problem. After a bit of a discussion they agreed to send me a new SR102 router without charge.
The conversation took place on a Saturday and the new router arrived on Monday and was duly successfully connected. The new router reported a downstream connection speed of 16,000 ish, about the same as the old router.
Last Sunday I logged onto the router to see that my connection speed had dropped to less than 9,000. I did try to phone Sky but they were very busy so I decided to reboot the router. It reconnected at 16,200 ish.
Yesterday (Saturday) my web browsing was interrupted on my tablet by a message from my Sky hub that my connection had dropped. I then switched to my PC as it has a wired connection, thus removing any wireless problems. By the time I did this the connection had been re-established. Logging on to the router’s webpage told me that my downstream speed was once again reduced to less than 9,000.
Rebooting the router once again re-made the connection to 16,000 ish but I decided to phone Sky again and ask them to check their end. This time the operator couldn’t see any apparent reason for what was happening but said that they would “stabilise” the line at 16,000 ish.
I should add that I do leave the router on at all times and I do think that the change of router has improved matters but clearly not fully.
I am going to wait for to see whether this drop happens again before I resume any dialogue with Sky.
In the meantime can anyone suggest possible reasons for my connection challenges?

Comments

• jeffkey1jeffkey1 Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Could be problems with water getting into your junction box on your house.

Any correlation with rain?

Is your telephone cable overhead? If so then tree branches rubbing and wearing cable.

Do you have multiple phone sockets in the house. One could be faulty.

Do you have multiple phones connected. One could be faulty.

Could be a bad adsl splitter. Check them all.

Can you be certain it happens on a wired connection as well as a wireless. You said your tablet dropped out.

Sounds like you have a bad or intermittent line and your router is retraining and dropping its connection speed to match the line conditions.

Be careful not to end up between sky and open reach arguing whose problem it may be.

Just a collection of random thoughts to think about.. :-)
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Have a look here at a similar problem and try in the test socket and listen for noise on the line. Look at your stats when you are getting 16 and again when you get 9, the noise margin figures are important and while you are there is there are large number of collision pkts.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2174491
  • cp2cp2 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have previously read that thread.
    Sky did go through a master socket direct connection test with me a while go and my internal wiring "passed". However, i would not be surprised if Sky ask me to go through it should my line drop again and i phone them.
    I suspect an interm intermitant fault on the line and I'd have to be very lucky for it to spotted.
    In the meantime i will wait for another drop before taking it any further.

Thanks for your responses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talking to my neighbour who also has Sky broadband. He has been experiencing some connection dropouts but hasn't been bothered enough to report it.
    Not sure whether that helps me any though.
  • the power kingthe power king Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cp2 wrote: »
    A couple of weeks ago I got tired of intermittent drop outs with my Sky broadband connection and phoned Sky to see if they could see a reason from their end.
    After performing a few tests without any action required on my part I was advised that the router had been identified as the problem. After a bit of a discussion they agreed to send me a new SR102 router without charge.
    The conversation took place on a Saturday and the new router arrived on Monday and was duly successfully connected. The new router reported a downstream connection speed of 16,000 ish, about the same as the old router.
    Last Sunday I logged onto the router to see that my connection speed had dropped to less than 9,000. I did try to phone Sky but they were very busy so I decided to reboot the router. It reconnected at 16,200 ish.
    Yesterday (Saturday) my web browsing was interrupted on my tablet by a message from my Sky hub that my connection had dropped. I then switched to my PC as it has a wired connection, thus removing any wireless problems. By the time I did this the connection had been re-established. Logging on to the router’s webpage told me that my downstream speed was once again reduced to less than 9,000.
    Rebooting the router once again re-made the connection to 16,000 ish but I decided to phone Sky again and ask them to check their end. This time the operator couldn’t see any apparent reason for what was happening but said that they would “stabilise” the line at 16,000 ish.
    I should add that I do leave the router on at all times and I do think that the change of router has improved matters but clearly not fully.
    I am going to wait for to see whether this drop happens again before I resume any dialogue with Sky.
    In the meantime can anyone suggest possible reasons for my connection challenges?
    A lot of People have been getting this this has been coming up Facebook https://www.facebook.com/sky/ reed this go down the page look for fiber problem
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did try to phone Sky again to discuss my problem but the wait for an operative was excessive.
    Besides, I suspect an intermittent fault which will be difficult to track down.
    In the meantime i have been logging my downstream connection speed over the past few days, usually triggered when i see the Sky router flashing orange.
    Line attenuation has been constant at 27.0

Date Rate Noise margin
    8/9 9619 15.5
    8/9 reboot 15950 6.1
    9/9 10160 14.6
    9/9 reboot 16097 6.1
    10/9 15892 6.1
    13/9 9008 16.6
    13/9 reboot 16262 6.1
    16/9 8928 16.5
    16/9 reboot 16085 6.1

So, a reboot re-establishes a decent speed but something happens that causes the router to disconnect and then reconnect.
  • leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's interesting. I have recently experienced a re-occurence of an old problem which I have not had for a few years and never discovered the reason why. It does not happen every time but sometimes when the phone is in use whether it be an outgoing or incoming call the broadband drops out and the router shows an amber light. Why should this happen? Also I have noticed on occasions a drop in broadband speed which can be restored back to normal by switching off and rebooting the router. What is causing the drop in speeds. Of course the bottom line is, that is what you can expect when you piggyback new technology on to an old infrastructure. Old copper cables put in by the old GPO. Just like the old paper insulated cable that brings the electricity supply in to the house put there when electricity was first introduced to this area. The cable absolutely rotten to the core and will burn out one day. Until there is massive investment and we physically start digging up pavements and garden paths and start laying in new cables that are up to the job, then we will continue to put up with these crude arrangements.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have effectively given up on fluctuations in my broadband speeds. Of late my broadband has moved between 11,000 and 16,000 often "stabilising" for several days.
    The resets usually occur around 2 am or around 6 pm.
    These fluctuations are all within the projected speed range ofd my line so I am unlikely to get far with Sky/ Openreach.
    I have also discovered that I have an EO (Exchange only) Line which means i am apparently at back of the switch to fibre queue as the current priority is fibre through a cabinet, something my line doesn't have.
  • leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering, how many items can you have connected to one telephone line before things become unstable thus affecting the broadband. Currently I have two corded telephones, one in either bedroom , one cordless phone downstairs and two Sky HD boxes because of the multiroom requirement. Is this too many? Also I was wondering what can cause an ADSL filter to fail or not perform properly. After all they are not heat generating components and as such should not be subject to too much stress. Recently I had to replace one on the downstairs phone as the caller display was not working. Finally if one was to switch to fibre, what would change inside the house. Presumably the same copper cable would be used coming in to the house as I cannot see that being replaced. Telephone sockets both slave and master would remain the same. ADSL filters would probably remain in place at each socket and lastly is it essential that the fibre broadband router be connected to the master socket as it would be more convenient to connect it to a slave socket on account of the position of satellite receivers which are currently connected to the existing router via ethernet cables.
  • fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky Fibre. When it was installed every ADSL was removed, the cromecast in the back of the tv was removed.

It's really been crap recently! Dropping off at weird times. 4 am no internet makes no logical sense. Trouble is all my TV's need the Wifi to work, no wires ! When I comes back it's great but the drop offs are getting frustrating!
  • mastanlemmastanlem Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    leslie123 wrote: »
    I was wondering, how many items can you have connected to one telephone line before things become unstable thus affecting the broadband. Currently I have two corded telephones, one in either bedroom , one cordless phone downstairs and two Sky HD boxes because of the multiroom requirement. Is this too many? Also I was wondering what can cause an ADSL filter to fail or not perform properly. After all they are not heat generating components and as such should not be subject to too much stress. Recently I had to replace one on the downstairs phone as the caller display was not working. Finally if one was to switch to fibre, what would change inside the house. Presumably the same copper cable would be used coming in to the house as I cannot see that being replaced. Telephone sockets both slave and master would remain the same. ADSL filters would probably remain in place at each socket and lastly is it essential that the fibre broadband router be connected to the master socket as it would be more convenient to connect it to a slave socket on account of the position of satellite receivers which are currently connected to the existing router via ethernet cables.[/quote

Check with sky but I don't think you need to be connected anymore with multiroom.

Marina
  • jasonjimbobjasonjimbob Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just got a new land line dect phone but get a temporary dropout with Sky broadband but only when it is picked up and returned to it's base, i had this problem before with a old dect phone,