Options

The Next Doctor Must Be Soon.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 585
Forum Member
✭✭
The next doctor must be soon, Matt Smith is crashing and burning in my opinion, totally lacks any gravitas and is more like dooogie howser than the DOCTOR.

I nominate David Threlfall for the sake of the franchise, a serious proper actor with experience and a few years on the clock, someone we can believe is a 950 year old time lord, not some floppy haired teenager.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Threlfall

THRELFALL for WHO!

Writing Duties should be offered to Alan Moore, Michael Moorcock, Terry Pratchett, JK Rowling, and the other great Sci Fi.Fantasy writers of our time. the perception of Doctor Who as a kids programme has to be challenged..this is serious science fiction and deserves the best!

Comments

• Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I assume you are being 'humourous'?
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Matt Smith is a wonderful and charismatic actor.

It is the lousy scripts that are holding him back. The BBC should sack Moffatt and get him to make more "Chalk" instead.
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Oh dear, considering that you have been a member since 2007 yet only have 437 posts, I can only surmise that you have not been involved in that many discussions!

At least take the trouble to do some research where you'll find that your statements of fact are in fact your own personal views and not shared by the majority!

A small tip for you, use the letters IMO liberally if you are going to spout this sort of stuff!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just love the idea that someone out there actually thinks that Doctor Who is "serious" science fiction.

Never has, never should be!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the OP's joke is backfiring - he was clearly referring to the hallucinations of David's character in Shameless, and ran with it to a humourous conclusion.

He wasn't the one taking himself (or the show) too seriously...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    point taken

but maybe if he actually had done this....
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    ran with it to a humourous conclusion.

it might have worked ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    point taken

but maybe if he actually had done this....

it might have worked ;)

Sorry - I missed the inverted commas (as I had used in my earlier post...).

:)
  • Options
    Adam KelleherAdam Kelleher Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is the lousy scripts that are holding him back. The BBC should sack Moffatt and get him to make more "Chalk" instead.

Can't disagree with this.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Even though it was a joke? So you must agree with the humour it was obviously delivered with?
  • Options
    Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    quoted for truth

Indeed, Moorcock is an absolute hack. He used to write his early stuff like Hawkmoon and Corum in a couple of days. His newer stuff, now that he isn't getting paid by the word, is dreadfully pretentious.

I am only sort of joking. Give me the early Elric of The Dreaming City over the later Revenge of the Rose or The Fortress of the Pearl any day. Corum and the second Hawkmoon (where he is turned into a woman) remain poor in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though it was a joke? So you must agree with the humour it was obviously delivered with?

Where is it stated, or even implied, that is was a joke?
  • Options
    dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed, Moorcock is an absolute hack. He used to write his early stuff like Hawkmoon and Corum in a couple of days. His newer stuff, now that he isn't getting paid by the word, is dreadfully pretentious.

I am only sort of joking. Give me the early Elric of The Dreaming City over the later Revenge of the Rose or The Fortress of the Pearl any day. Corum and the second Hawkmoon (where he is turned into a woman) remain poor in my opinion.

lol I am not a huge fan of moorcock. But i'd rather read his shopping list than anything Rowling has to offer
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nothing is holding him back, least of all the scripts which in my opinion have generally been very good. And since the majority of the viewing public appear to agree, I doubt either Smith or Moffat are going anywhere anytime soon. I would, however, love to see another series of the very underrated Chalk.
  • Options
    seejay01462seejay01462 Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    I have to agree with deadline. I just can't accept Matt Smith as The Doctor. I've tried.......God how I've tried, but he just doesn't cut it for me. Now I'm thinking, is it my age (49 :eek:)? But again, no. Even my daughter (13) is not interested in watching the series any more and she was a huge fan. But saying that, my son (9) thinks he's great!
  • Options
    stairwaystairway Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If, and when, he does go i think Kenneth Branagh, Michael Sheen or Essie Izzard would be a good choice
  • Options
    lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing is holding him back, least of all the scripts which in my opinion have generally been very good. And since the majority of the viewing public appear to agree, I doubt either Smith or Moffat are going anywhere anytime soon. I would, however, love to see another series of the very underrated Chalk.

For once I'm going to agree with tingramretro, but only to point out that the same applied to the RTD era. In both cases, the majority was/is happy with the Doctor and the scripts and only a very loud and vocal minority on Internet forums was/is unhappy, and makes this notion known in every possible thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Where is it stated, or even implied, that is was a joke?

Well, Chalk was rubbish... The joke is that the BBC should ask him to write more of the failed, poorly recieved sitcom over the successful, well received series 5.

If you can't see that, then I would wonder about your sense of humour! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cannot believe I am even dignifying this thread with a responsible answer, however I honestly cannot see Matt Smith going anywhere soon. He has been getting rave reviews all across the board, he has been a massive driving force for the show to get a pretty much simulated transmission in America which proves that he is doing something right (the most successful Doctor in Tom Baker had problems getting the show popular over there)

The problem with the 5th series was pretty much like Series two for myself, there was some great stories in there (the 11th hour, The time of Angels/Flesh and Stone, Amy's choice, Vincent and the Doctor, The pandorica opens/The big bang) some so so stories (The Beast Below, The hungry Earth/Cold Blood, The Lodger) and one completely naff story (Victory of the Daleks) and I personally feel that it was down to the writers not too sure how to write for the character of the new doctor it' happen with Tennate's doctor as well, one minute he was an alien traveller then next thing you knew he was a jack the lad.

Personally I think Series 6a and b is going to be a better year. They have a consistent mould with the cast I think now the writers have a good grasp on the character's and from the Series 6 trailer alone it looks bloody brilliant
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, Chalk was rubbish... The joke is that the BBC should ask him to write more of the failed, poorly recieved sitcom over the successful, well received series 5.

If you can't see that, then I would wonder about your sense of humour! :)

OK, take out the reference to Chalk and I agree with it, and I'm not joking!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK, take out the reference to Chalk and I agree with it, and I'm not joking!

I know... But I do find it unfortunate when people are disappointed with a show* they love.

I'm glad it hasn't happened to me though - and I'm not worried that it ever will (with one notable exception: new Buffy film!).

*or anything, really...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just love the idea that someone out there actually thinks that Doctor Who is "serious" science fiction.

Never has, never should be!

True! It could never stand up as one. Yes, there are great Sci-fi themes, but many are just excuses to scare kids and to have exciting FX shots. :D

If Doctor Who became a kids show it would lose its ness. And if it became an adult show it would lose its zaz of childhood. Its a family show. So it must keep kids entertained and adults entertained. And it can do that! A Christmas Carol. Brilliant! went down a treat. My ENTIRE family liked it. That's amazing! My family love different bits. Fun, ideas, 'coolness', the story (Big part actually. If the story isn't thought threw or is pants, its bad) But this one was good. Brill!

Doctor Who. The one Sci-fi where adults and kids can come together because they love the show. Not because kids want the adults to see and they don't want to or because kids don't have anything to watch so watch the parents shows.

Everybody loves Doctor Who!!! :D

So yes. It can never be completely serious Sci-fi. Who wants that? We want funny chases. The Doctor and Donna through the windows! Shark Sleighs! Elevator drops! Wilfred Mott! It's funny as heck but it can be serious, clever and deep enough to keep adults interested. What about the Fear of dying? The concentration camps in turn left? Child abuse? All there.

But Wilfred Mott. :D

So, to sum up. Doctor Who must stay fun and clever. Best of both Worlds! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt Smith is a great Doctor, I have to agree with others that some of the storylines have let him down. Vincent and the Doctor is probably one of the most overrated, boring episodes I have ever seen, even the filler eppie with Smithy from Gavin and Stacey was more interesting. The series was more hit than miss, adding in the lovely Christmas episode, but I'm expecting that by next series everything will flow more. Either way I love MS as Doctor Who and hope he manages to stay as long as the gorgeous Mr Tennant at least :).
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to disagree with OP. Matt Smith has freshened the series immeasurably, and i find myself looking forward to DW for the first time in a couple of years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o:mad:though I had my doubts at first and I do miss Dt in the role , he aint the worst dr ever and at times he reminds me of Peter Davison (1980s dr) Amy pond works though she does wear the trousers in her and rory's relationship and does pout for england but Bille teeth went wrong in series 4 so assistants do have off days , okay i got peeved with "Victory of the daleks" and the vincent story a bit but it had heart and the xmas one was brill despite the odd fish floating about ax
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Had to read the origional post again before I commented. Matt is doing fine as The Doctor, give him time to grow into the role before getting the knives out. Can't argue that some of the stories were a bit poor and have to admit that I'm still not convinced that Mr Moffatt has got everything right yet. But how do you define science fiction ? Of course Doctor Who is science fiction, it's just not serious science fiction. It's fun science fiction so lighten up everyone and just enjoy it for what it is.