Options

whos the best fibre in the UK currently.

Jaydogg_HomeJaydogg_Home Posts: 215
Forum Member
Asking for a friend, please note Virgin media isn't avabile where they live. they want 76MB. Unlimited.

Comments

• Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Avoid SSE as they will throttle your speeds badly, i'd say BT is prob best at the moment but it's pricey.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah throttlings a no go
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Why BT TV doesn't have any HD channels? It's strange that today we have a national provider that doesn't offer any HD channels.
  • Options
    pete taylorpete taylor Posts: 1,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    Why BT TV doesn't have any HD channels? It's strange that today we have a national provider that doesn't offer any HD channels.
    They do! All BT Sport channels are available in HD.
  • Options
    pete taylorpete taylor Posts: 1,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asking for a friend, please note Virgin media isn't avabile where they live. they want 76MB. Unlimited.
    Have a look at Plusnet (owned by BT), their up to 76Mbps is the same as BT. The lower fibre product from Plusnet is NOT the same as offered by BT. BT offer entry level fibre at 55/10, Plusnet only offer a 40/2 service.
  • Options
    daveh75daveh75 Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What are you talking about? I count 21 in HD + 1 in UHD + how ever many are available via Freeview these days

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46017/~/what-channels-are-available-on-bt-tv%3F
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    I was looking at this list, and it says only major terrestrial channel are in HD.
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Talktalk have been nothing but amazing for me. I pay 37. 50 for phone and broadband . Syncs out at 79 mb I've never been throttled torrents start Dowloading at 9-10 megabytes / sec within seconds.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BT do indeed have HD channels all bt sports plus Albi,W,AMC,Nat geo, nat geo wild, discover, syfy to name a few that are in HD on bttv.
  • Options
    NilSatisOptimumNilSatisOptimum Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Been with Sky Plusnet and now BT since fibre went, happily recommend all of them, when the price is right.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been delighted with BT but their prices are starting to take the piss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cool, anyone more they all seem to be about the same
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    I've been on Sky fibre coming up to a year in October. No problems and rock solid 37+ down and 8 up.

When the contract finishes I will be due to pay an extra £20 pm, I did get a good deal at the time .... I will have to sharpen up my negotiation skills, I would settle for £5-10 more for what I have but if they don't come across then I will be in the market.

Hope not because Sky fibre and call packages have been good.
  • Options
    nigelb1972nigelb1972 Posts: 274
    Forum Member

BT TV has lots of HD channels..
  • Options
    Skylover4lifeSkylover4life Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin is the best... but seeing as your friend cannot get it, it has to be British Telecom (BT) - I have tried BT, Sky, TalkTalk... and BT are the winners, followed by Sky (as long as you get the Sky Q modem, you can get this by ordering Sky Q, and canceling the order before the TV gets installed, but keeping the broadband, but bare in mind you do have to put up with an 18 month contract)
  • Options
    WeetibixWeetibix Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    I've been on Sky fibre coming up to a year in October. No problems and rock solid 37+ down and 8 up.

When the contract finishes I will be due to pay an extra £20 pm, I did get a good deal at the time .... I will have to sharpen up my negotiation skills, I would settle for £5-10 more for what I have but if they don't come across then I will be in the market.

I'm on Sky fibre and my contact was due to end and was going to go up from £10 to £20...so I phoned and was told no deals were available so I said to the guy that I would give BT a ring in that case. I came of the phone and went to the "thinking of leaving" option on the Sky website and clicked the reason for leaving and quoted BT as being a better deal and was offered a deal of continuing for a further 12 months at £10 a month
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Interesting ↑↑, thanks.
  • Options
    ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talk Talk have superfast broadband. I've been with them twice and they seem quite reliable.
    https://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product/fibre/a-fibre
  • Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    LION8TIGER wrote: »

Yep Sky Fibre is the best and has the highest ratings on most credible sites.

BT is way overpriced, has terrible support based in India when things go wrong (and with BT, things always go wrong), and the speeds are not up to par.

I've tested most ISP's in the UK and have always found Sky to be better than all of them.

The new Sky Q Hub is an awesome piece of kit too.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aurichie wrote: »
    Yep Sky Fibre is the best and has the highest ratings on most credible sites.

On proper review sites, and not the ones the ISPs pay to advertise on, that isn't even close to being true.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/top10.php
    BT is way overpriced, has terrible support based in India when things go wrong (and with BT, things always go wrong), and the speeds are not up to par.

If your problem relates to a line fault and nothing to do with the core network, then those faults will manifest regardless of your provider.

Given that Sky manages to mess up my TV account every time I've called in about it, I wouldn't hold out much hope of them sorting out broadband and phone too.

It doesn't matter so much where the support is based (and BT is slowly moving it back to the UK), what matters is how well trained they are and/or how much initiative they're allowed to display, beyond script reading. It's all well and good speaking to a clueless rep with a British accent, but ultimately they're just as useless as a clueless rep with an Indian accent.
    I've tested most ISP's in the UK and have always found Sky to be better than all of them.

Is this the official word of the Sky PR dept?

It's as mediocre as any ISP supplied router. At least BT, TalkTalk and co allow you to change it for something else if you don't like it. Sky actively stop you from doing this.
  • Options
    daveh75daveh75 Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So have I, and i'm currently with Sky for one of my lines, and they're no better or worse than any of the bigger ISPs I've used. Sky are decidedly average I'd say.

For the best, at least in terms of CS you need to be looking at one of the smaller, more business oriented ISPs and be prepared to pay for it...

It's typical ISP supplied, consumer grade tat, only with less ethernet connections than most other ISP supplied routers.

And of course Sky being Sky, it's locked down and they go out of their way to make it hard for your average, non technical user to use a better/replacement router...
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what i can tell, they are all pretty similar. Every single one of them have their ups and downs.
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well most use the Open reach network so they are similar. I think the backbone could be different, but with BT at least your dealing direct as such.
  • Options
    Hank SchraderHank Schrader Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Be aware that the speeds you get with FTTC are dependent on how far you are from the fibre cabinet. Your friend may want 76meg but unless they are within a few hundred metres of the cabinet they will not get this.