Options

Have now changed to BT

daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,641
Forum Member
After 12 years with AOL, have now changed to BT. The change over was pretty smooth, nothing like the horror stories I have read on here. I lost my internet connection around 9.0am, the new hub arrived at mid day and I was online again as soon as it was all connected.
After being with the same Provider for so long, it was a huge change, which I am still getting used to. Why are we wiser after the event? i can now see the advantage of having a separate email account - wish someone had pointed this out to me before. I shall now keep all my regular sites in a 'cloud' or similar account so that I don't have to keep informing people of my change of email address. My neighbour was saying he didn't fancy all that hassle when changing Providers, so at least I was able to give him the benefit of my new found wisdom. :D
Everything is different, email wise, with Bt and still finding my way around, I did like AOL's email set up and I have lost so much info by changing. But heyho it is done now and it has been quite a learning curve. I shall save £120 on monthly charges for the next 12 months, but it remains to be seen whether or not it will be worth it. :kitty:

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AOL ceased being a internet provider a few years back when Talk Talk grabbed hold of them You must have been on a old system, which is why it was expensive, and you must have been on ADSL as well and not fibre.
    Having an AOL email address is not so bad as you can still use it even if you are not with AOL, I have still got one from years ago, it is providers like BT, Talk Talk and sky where it is a problem to have an email address linked to them. But years ago that is what we did, we did not know much better, certainly in the days of dial up.

Lots of free services for email, Google with Gmail, Microsoft with their outlook, Yahoo, GMX and others. I have my own domain and have an email address linked to it, but i pay each year for that.

i have not been with Bt for years, they mucked me around the last time I was with them and their customer service stinks and BT is one of the most expensive providers to be honesty. I am with Plusnet, while they belong to BT, they are run as a separate company and is cheaper than BT. I am having a look around now that my contract is out with Plusnet, Vodafone looks ok, but got a few things I need to look at first.
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,641
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    AOL ceased being a internet provider a few years back when Talk Talk grabbed hold of them You must have been on a old system, which is why it was expensive, and you must have been on ADSL as well and not fibre.
    Having an AOL email address is not so bad as you can still use it even if you are not with AOL, I have still got one from years ago, it is providers like BT, Talk Talk and sky where it is a problem to have an email address linked to them. But years ago that is what we did, we did not know much better, certainly in the days of dial up.

Lots of free services for email, Google with Gmail, Microsoft with their outlook, Yahoo, GMX and others. I have my own domain and have an email address linked to it, but i pay each year for that.

i have not been with Bt for years, they mucked me around the last time I was with them and their customer service stinks and BT is one of the most expensive providers to be honesty. I am with Plusnet, while they belong to BT, they are run as a separate company and is cheaper than BT. I am having a look around now that my contract is out with Plusnet, Vodafone looks ok, but got a few things I need to look at first.
    It was originally £20 a month, went down to £10 then up again to £15.50. BT is just a fiver a month for 12 months. Will have to wait & see how BT measure up, but will bear in mind that it may involve another change jn due course, so won't save too much in the email account, have already set up a separate one.