Options

Am i the only one who?

Comments

• Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    Didn't he actually say he was, on screen?

No. There was one line, "oh Davros, I am far more than just another Time Lord", but it was cut from the transmitted version.
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    No. There was one line, "oh Davros, I am far more than just another Time Lord", but it was cut from the transmitted version.

Whoops. Sorry about that. I must be remembering a deleted scene clip or something. Thanks for the correction.

My distaste for that stuff is limited only to books I haven't read then. So that's a bit rich of me to whinge. But we but we both seem to like the Doctor best as a reasonably anonymous traveller who fell out of favour with his people for reasons not entirely clear (but including a wanderlust and interventionist habit).

That's why these seventh doctor novels don't appeal.
  • Options
    temperaretemperare Posts: 3,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christopher Eccleston. Northern bloke, big ears. Did 13 episodes in 2005. You must remember him?

Hmmm rings a vague bell.... Was he the one with that loud girl with big teeth?
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    I really liked Christopher Eccelston as the Doctor along with Billie Piper as Rose and i felt when Christopher Eccelston left i was not interested anymore.:)

Saying you "felt" that you "weren't interested" is rather confusing - it doesn't actually say that you "weren't interested" and gives no indication of what you did as a result.

Did you stop watching when Eccles left, continue watching but enjoyed the show less, continue watching but didn't enjoy the show at all - or none of the above?

The most I can make of your post is that you are saying that you liked Eccles - and it's difficult to see why you are asking if you were the only one who did?

Did you, for example, ONLY watch the show because he was playing the Doctor? Had you ever watched DW before 2005 and have you ever watched it since?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    Whoops. Sorry about that. I must be remembering a deleted scene clip or something. Thanks for the correction.

My distaste for that stuff is limited only to books I haven't read then. So that's a bit rich of me to whinge. But we but we both seem to like the Doctor best as a reasonably anonymous traveller who fell out of favour with his people for reasons not entirely clear (but including a wanderlust and interventionist habit).

That's why these seventh doctor novels don't appeal.
    Well, just to defend the novels, while the whole 'Other' scenario was indeed put forward in them, at no point is it ever suggested that the Doctor is aware of his supposed connection to the Other, let alone has any memory of it; the Other was supposedly a Time Lord who lived long before the Doctor himself was born. He is basically the same character in the novels who we saw in seasons 25 & 26.
    temperare wrote: »
    Hmmm rings a vague bell.... Was he the one with that loud girl with big teeth?
    Yes, that's the one! I think he manages Formula One, doesn't he?
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saying you "felt" that you "weren't interested" is rather confusing - it doesn't actually say that you "weren't interested" and gives no indication of what you did as a result.

Did you stop watching when Eccles left, continue watching but enjoyed the show less, continue watching but didn't enjoy the show at all - or none of the above?

The most I can make of your post is that you are saying that you liked Eccles - and it's difficult to see why you are asking if you were the only one who did?

Did you, for example, ONLY watch the show because he was playing the Doctor? Had you ever watched DW before 2005 and have you ever watched it since?

To put you straight on this matter i stopped watching when Christopher Eccleston left. I watched it with Paul McGann and Christopher Eccleston as i enjoyed these two actors as the Doctor. I did not fully continue to watch Doctor Who when David Tennant came into the role. Although i got the gist of the story. As i said before i am not a major fan of previous Doctor Who's from the past pre 1990's and admit i am not a fan of the entire show i dip into it every now and again. But i watched the entire Doctor Who with Christopher Eccleston and even bought it on DVD. Does that answer your question.:)
  • Options
    *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    I really liked Christopher Eccelston as the Doctor along with Billie Piper as Rose and i felt when Christopher Eccelston left i was not interested anymore.:)

I really liked Chris's Doctor as well, and I've always been a big fan of Rose. I wasn't very interested in Tennant's Doctor, though I watched and there were some very good stories even though I hated his portrayal.

Matt Smith is excellent again though and my interest is definitely back :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christopher Eccleston was great! A Fantastic doctor. Perfect for starting the series up anew.

Oh yes, and I kind of agree with Biffo the Bear. Only partly though. I thought both Chrissy Ecc and Dave T could pull off a "I'm nice and kind until a certain point in which i'll kick your arse". Which I don't think Matt "The fat" Smith can pull off.

I don't know why he's called Matt "the Fat" Smith. I just needed a cool name and fat rhymed with Matt. He's not fat. It's just like Stan "the Man" Lee.

Don't kill me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christopher Eccleston was great! A Fantastic doctor. Perfect for starting the series up anew.

Oh yes, and I kind of agree with Biffo the Bear. Only partly though. I thought both Chrissy Ecc and Dave T could pull off a "I'm nice and kind until a certain point in which i'll kick your arse". Which I don't think Matt "The fat" Smith can pull off.

I don't know why he's called Matt "the Fat" Smith. I just needed a cool name and fat rhymed with Matt. He's not fat. It's just like Stan "the Man" Lee.

Don't kill me.
    The difference is, while Matt is not fat, Stan is very definitely The Man.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, just to defend the novels, while the whole 'Other' scenario was indeed put forward in them, at no point is it ever suggested that the Doctor is aware of his supposed connection to the Other, let alone has any memory of it; the Other was supposedly a Time Lord who lived long before the Doctor himself was born. He is basically the same character in the novels who we saw in seasons 25 & 26.

ok. so that's quite a respectful thing to do. People can enjoy the mystical signifigance of his origins (if they like that kind of thing) without having to think it has any bearing on his life as "the Doctor" (if they hate that kind of thing). Fair enough. I am very happy this was kept off the telly though.
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member

I still love the line in Remembrance when The Doctor tells Ace about Omega's Stellar Manipulator and says 'and didn't WE have trouble with the prototype.' Only to then change the WE to 'They'.

I guess as fans because they didn't go down that path we can take the 'We' as meaning Time Lords in general and not specifically The Doctor.
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Regarding Ecclestone, I wasn't particuarly taken with him at first, but on subsequent viewings I quite like him. Series one is still one of my favourites of the revival, only topped by 5, 6 and 3 in that order.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ecclestone, Piper and Barrowman WORKED so well in fact!

Thats why in series 2 i felt...cringe! and in series 3 it felt a bit "forced" having the trio as Tennant, Barrowman and Agyman really.

Eccleston was brilliant and i wanted him for longer as i personally prefer his style to Tennants. BUT Matt has made me realise why i love the show! He has the eccentricity, the madcap, the brilliance and alien attributes that you believe he IS the doctor and always has been! You know?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Don't kill me.

Could have been worse - I could come up with another word to rhyme with "Matt" - but I think DS filters it. ;)
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I really liked Eccleston's Doctor. He was the first Doctor I ever saw.
    However, I feel that Matt Smith is absolutely magnificent and I'm loving Doctor Who more than I ever did.

I find it quite sad that some people only watch the show for the main actor and stop watching when he leaves. :(

Give Matt Smith's Who a try! :D
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it quite sad that some people only watch the show for the main actor and stop watching when he leaves. :(

I got so hooked into Christopher Eccleston's Doctor and was sad he left i just could'nt accept anyone else as the Doctor. I tried David Tennant and recently Matt Smith it is'nt the same for me personally.:(
  • Options
    vrooomvrooom Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CE was just what the programme needed when it relaunched - a respected actor with a good track record that the viewership could "trust". When I heard Eccleston was doing Who, I knew it was going to be a quality show, you know what I mean. I think the first series is something special - much better than subsequent outings - because at the time it was fresh and new. Later series have had a hard time capitalising on the momentum and excitement that first series generated.

I only started enjoying Tennant when he was put against Catherine Tate - they seemed to be a good match.

I quite like Matt Smith, but sometimes I feel his performance lacks "gravitas" - but then I think he plays better against a male companion (Rory or Craig) than Amy Pond for some reason.

But hey, we should all be grateful to CE for putting in such a sterling performance because without his take on the Doctor we would have the show we have now as he really did lay the foundation of the new series.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Better than Tennant yes, but not Matt Smith. you seem to be under a misapprehension about the Doctor; he was never supposed to be powerful or frightening. That was one of RTD's dumb ideas. The Doctor is just a traveller who tries to do the right thing, he's not Superman.
    Ignoring the frightening Superman image, I think the (very good) point that is now being made is that he may not be frightening from the human perspective but from the point of view of the alien invaders he is a near mythical figure that has stopped their plans time and time and time again (and occassionally killed a fair few of them along the way, there's been loads of exploding daleks through the decades).

It's the old "one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist" argument.

Or to put it another way a dog may like you for spraying him and ridding him of the biting fleas, but from the fleas point of view you are a mass mudering the bringer of death from the skies. :eek:
  • Options
    Gary of BeestonGary of Beeston Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"I'm an M&S Time Lord" though that would be befrore the ads were created. Still, he is a Time Lord...

More relevantly, there are lots of ways to interpret or finish a line like that; for example:

"I am far more than just another Time Lord - I'm you're own, personal hell"

Gary
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "I'm an M&S Time Lord" though that would be befrore the ads were created. Still, he is a Time Lord...

More relevantly, there are lots of ways to interpret or finish a line like that; for example:

"I am far more than just another Time Lord - I'm you're own, personal hell"

Gary

:)

Yes, it could have been finished many ways, but the writer had the grand thing in mind. Luckily what the writer might have been thinking and what actually got to screen are two different things. (so that woman with her hands over her face can be anyone you want it to be. Even though RTD wrote it with the intent we would think it his mother - deliberately ambiguously as a writers get out.)
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I loved the Nine/Rose/Jack combo. It's yet to be topped in post 2005 DW for me as a collective group. I just wish we had seen more of them.

That said, Matt's Doctor is my favorite. Though Chris was fantastic too. My personal view is he was treated like cr*p by the BBC.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christopher Eccleston was brilliant and when he left i stopped watching, not because i had anything against David Tennent but because i was just gutted really.

I have to say i think Matt Smith is doing a grand job and i once again look forwards to watching it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sack wrote: »
    Christopher Eccleston was brilliant and when he left i stopped watching, not because i had anything against David Tennent but because i was just gutted really.

It's a good thing we didn't do that every time the lead actor changed in the old series. Doctor Who would never have lasted as long as it has.

Most odd behaviour...:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Sack wrote: »

I have to say i think Matt Smith is doing a grand job and i once again look forwards to watching it.

Again, not being picky but are you saying that you stopped watching when Eccles regenerated - missed or refused to watch every single episode with David Tennant and then started watching again in 2010?

No disrespect but - what---- what
    WHAT?

Was your decision to stop watching in 2006 based on some sort of protest that Eccles left? If so, why start watching again in 2010?

Going by what you've posted, you never saw any of David Tennant's episodes so it sounds like you are blaming him for taking the role in some way.

What made you start watching again in 2010?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    outside wrote: »
    You appear to have forgotten all about the Seventh Doctor from Virgin's New Adventures novels. Maybe he just doesn't suit your argument.

Umm wasn't the point of GMGTW about 11th Doctor being frightening and powerful? Killing all the cybermen, that thing with the monks and gathering people together for a war? Surely that counts as being frightening... both RTD and Moffat have used that paticluar avenue