Anyone else got a child who has emigrated?

13»

Comments

• patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dread this coming, myself :( My kids are very young, but I'm quite familiar with the phenomenon. Myself and all of my siblings (and there's a LOT of them :D) all emigrated during the 80s/90s. Most returned to Ireland after a period of time, but a couple didn't. And two of my husband's siblings live in Australia. The funny thing is, I definitely see more of my brother in Germany than I do of one of my brothers who lives in Dublin! We visit each other often and he pops home to our parents as regularly as he can. Also, with hubby's siblings, his sister in Australia I have a much better and closer relationship with than the one who lives in the (Irish) midlands. The brother, however, we mightn't hear from for two or three years at a time.............

The thing is, Wonkey, that your daughter's brave choice makes this a different situation entirely. Going somewhere without access to communication or modern conveniences in general is a whole other challenge. What an exciting and admirable thing to do. It seems to me that this sort of trip is usually for a very finite period of time. I hope so; then you'll have her back and she'll have unforgettable experiences.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Aw that was lovely Wonkey (she says with tears in her eyes). Thank you and big hugs back. x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    My sons moved abroad with their mother when they were 16 & 13. At the time I said it was both the easiest and hardest decision I have ever had to make. Easiest for them (chance to experience life in Canada) and hardest for me because I knew that they would be thousands of miles away.
    To see 2 quiet shy boys grow into the men they are now 8 years later with good jobs and a great life in a fantastic country makes that decision the best I have ever made. If I had my time over again I would make the same decision again. Life is about living and as parents it is our job to ensure that our children have the best life possible, I like to think I've done that with mine (not that they would ever agree of course :rolleyes:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    I emmigrated to Chile in September, I imagine you miss your daughter so much, but I am guessing she feels exactly the same. I miss my mum and family dearly. I came here to be with my boyfriend, a step I had to take to make a life for my own having made decisions in the past to suit my family. Thank goodness for skype, but Christmas has been hard, especially not spending time with my gorgeous nephews.
  • johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    I want to emigrate because there is sod all going for Northern Ireland except division and sectarianism. I have no idea how to go about it though.