Derek The Hero

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    I'm waiting for Derek's own superhero movie to come out any time soon. He'll be called the "Toadman" :cool:. It'll be the best ever superhero movie trilogy to hit cinema since Christopher Nolan's Batman movies :D.

"Toadman Begins"
    "The Dark Toad"
    "The Dark Toad Rises"

Cannot wait for these movies to be released! :) :cool:

:D:D:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with OP Derek is a hero. So what if he slipped in a touch of blackmail. Who hasn't. He's essentially a good bloke who gets misunderstood frequently :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    I agree with OP Derek is a hero. So what if he slipped in a touch of blackmail. Who hasn't. He's essentially a good bloke who gets misunderstood frequently :)

Yes, indeedy. I mean...who HASN'T threatened a woman on their deathbed either?! Can you believe some people on here? Calling him a villain :mad:
  • IdentityIdentity Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, saving two people is great. If one of them is your son and the other your niece, you would be pretty rotten to the core, or very cowardly if you did not at least attempt a rescue, no matter what.

But: this does not wipe out everything he has done. All the bad stuff is still there.

He immediately turns the situation in his favour, by blackmailing his own son, hurting his niece, just because Joey would not immediatley forget that his dad was a wife beater, who is not exactly doing a good job of making amends, every single time Joey allowed his dad near him, Derek used it to his advantage, trying to "own" Joey. He does the same with Alice, especially when deciding who has to date her and when he can no longer do so, regardless of Alice's feelings.

Keith Miller went to save Dawn, which was heroic, and he probably used the most energy out of everyone that day, but he had been as lazy as Derek is evil up to that moment. Being a hero did not take away how he messed up before.

The main difference is, Keith went on to attempt and turn his life around, win Rosie back (by showing her he had changed, hoping she would give it another chance, and with some effort, mainly from Keith, the relationship might work this time around, not by saying: I risked my life for your daughter, who isn't even mine, who took her real father's name, ditching mine and has been pulling scams all her life, now marry me again, or I will make her life misery for it). Derek returned to his old ways straight after. It is no turning point. He is actually happy this happened, as now he finally can control the youngsters as well, while also having something on Tanya.

Any decent human being would be shaken up, as they almost lost their son! (And be the final Branning-sibling to have that happen as well ;P, if you don't count Suzy, as she is no parent)
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    Top block. Blackmailing his kid. What a great man he is! :)

If I found out my son was bonking his cousin, I'd do anything in my power to stop it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I found out my son was bonking his cousin, I'd do anything in my power to stop it.

That's your business.

I'm just highlighting one of Derek's many attempts at blackmail. Max, David Wicks, the Goons...

But as I say, he's a top bloke, isn't he? I mean, how DARE David Wicks not throw himself into the path of Derek's knife :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, indeedy. I mean...who HASN'T threatened a woman on their deathbed either?! Can you believe some people on here? Calling him a villain :mad:

Pat was on her way out anyhow. Any comments Derek made had no bearing on her mortality. Maybe a bit insensitive sure I'll grant you that one.
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's your business.

I'm just highlighting one of Derek's many attempts at blackmail. Max, David Wicks, the Goons...

But as I say, he's a top bloke, isn't he? I mean, how DARE David Wicks not throw himself into the path of Derek's knife :mad:

Would you stand by and watch your son get off with your brother's daughter?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derek is a true hero. Balls of steel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That has nothing to do with the point I'm trying to make. If you want to go blackmailing people, you do that. Don't tell me what I should consider to be "appropriate" behaviour upon discovering that my son was getting it on with his cousin.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member

What like on pay for view or something :confused: :eek: :o

In many cultures it's the norm for cousins to marry and in the UK it isn't illegal.

Derek was a hero tonight and though he has used this to bad ends isn't this the norm on EE? Phil would do this, has done worse and even the saint and paragon of motherhood Tanya buried her husband alive and yet we seem to accept these 2 easily.

May I point out that this is Lauren's second serious car crime and as far as I know she hasn't saved anyone's life yet but still we're ok with Lauren it's just Derek we cannot abide.

People don't like Derek because of the way he looks. Sad, very sad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What like on pay for view or something :confused: :eek: :o

In many cultures it's the norm for cousins to marry and in the UK it isn't illegal.

Derek was a hero tonight and though he has used this to bad ends isn't this the norm on EE? Phil would do this, has done worse and even the saint and paragon of motherhood Tanya buried her husband alive and yet we seem to accept these 2 easily.

May I point out that this is Lauren's second serious car crime and as far as I know she hasn't saved anyone's life yet but still we're ok with Lauren it's just Derek we cannot abide.

People don't like Derek because of the way he looks. Sad, very sad.

Who's "we"? I can't stand Lauren, Joey, Tanya, Phil OR Derek. I've probably made a hundred plus posts about my dislike for these characters.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Who's "we"? I can't stand Lauren, Joey, Tanya, Phil OR Derek. I've probably made a hundred plus posts about my dislike for these characters.

I know. 'We' included everyone but you of course :cool: ;)

IMO posters generally speaking have been more forgiving of Lauren, Tanya, Phil et al than they have been of Derek and I think this is in some part to do with the way he looks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know. 'We' included everyone but you of course :cool: ;)

IMO posters generally speaking have been more forgiving of Lauren, Tanya, Phil et al than they have been of Derek and I think this is in some part to do with the way he looks.

I'm not going to lie, there have been comments about his appearance on here. But for me personally it's his actions rather than his appearance.

If I were that superficial I wouldn't have made these posts about Lauren, despite the fact that I think Lauren's pretty:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1706446
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    So Derek has his quirks but he deserves a medal for what he did after that crash.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mo mouse wrote: »
    So Derek has his quirks but he deserves a medal for what he did after that crash.

What quirks? The man deserves an OBE. He's a true hero with a heart of gold. Wouldn't hurt anyone, let alone slap his sister!
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Top bloke, is Derek. Blackmailing someone after saving their lives. Very humble. Saving someone then threatening them.

I wonder who he'll threaten to kill next. Maybe Oscar.

Is it bad that I can totally see that scene happening :o

Derek opens a darkened room... "Hello Oscar, I think it's about time we had a little chat about doing your bit for the faaaaaaaaamily, don't you? I've had it with your ways my boy, always mumbling away, acting *just like* my boy Joey. "

*Joey walks in*
    "Is Dewek bovva'ing you Oska?"
    * Oscar makes toddler noises *
    *cut scene as Joey and Oscar continue to converse in child-like noises. *
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J-B wrote: »

Derek opens a darkened room... "Hello Oscar, I think it's about time we had a little chat about doing your bit for the faaaaaaaaamily, don't you? I've had it with your ways my boy, always mumbling away, acting *just like* my boy Joey. "

*Joey walks in*

This made my day :D
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    J-B wrote: »

*Joey walks in*

Love it :D:D. You've captured Joey's gibberish perfectly. :cool:
  • IdentityIdentity Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get he isn't happy about the cousin thing, but blackmailing is not the way to go here.

If he were truely concerned about their illegal relationship, he could have sat Max and Tanya down to discuss it with them, then express their feelings about the whole thing to their children.

Joey and Lauren are both adults by law, so there is very little their parents could do to prevent the relationship. The law forbids them to marry, but as far as I know, anything else is fine. How on earth they are going to check if they had sex, let alone bring them to court aand throw them in jail is beyond me anyway, and any future babies will probably not have a DNA test and be murdered if the parents turn out to be cousins, nor will Lauren have abortion forced upon her, this is not China.

So, in fact, they ca do as they please. This does not mean I do not understand Derek, Max and probably also Tanya's feelings to the whole thing. I would not be jumping for joy either. So, they absolutely should share their take on the relationship with the pair. If Lauren and Joey would then decide to stay together, no matter what anyone thinks (as they would, I'm sure), this could result in them being cut off from their families, at least for a while. This would include them needing jobs, at least, Lauren, as Joey already has one right? And they would need to find a place to stay and a way to afford that. I guess they won't be expected for dinner this Christmas either, and not for a few Christmasses too.

That type of reaction is not wrong, it is perfectly understandable. If they stay together for years and years, then maybe things would change, I am not saying they should, but once the dust has settled and it would turn out to be true love, I think many people would look upon the relationship differently. Or maybe they won't, thaat is their business.

I think the way Dirty Den and Vicki went about Sharon and Dennis was more appropriate and understandable. It was about shock and disgust, as two people they loved (more or less) did something that is not really accepted in society in tis day and age.

Derek, however, relies on blackmail, again. And it is not out of concern or anything, as he would be happy to let it go, as long as Joey would obey him, and "worship the gorund he walks on", like a good son. This is not the description of a good son, and forcing someone to either love you, or fake they do, s not the act of a good father. He just wants to hurt Joey, or own him, if the latter won't work, the first will suffice.. He did the same with Carol and David, and there was nothing sordid or dubious about that relationship at all, he just didn't like the poor fella!

A final note on cousins getting married: the public opinion on this is different through time, and in different places. Before the Catholic Church had a hold on the peerage, these types of marriages were common and accepted. The Church succesfully put a taboo on marrying a close relative, how close too close was, was different over time, in general, more and more was being made illegal as time went by. This had to do with the fact that if 2 cousins married, and they both ruled a certain area, both areas would be put together, to be ruled by the husband, and after that, their eldest son. This would give the peerage more power, as the priests could not expand like that ;P.

In more recent history, more and more was found acceptable again, in my family history I have found loads of cousins, second cousins and step-siblings marrying, even a couple of girls who married their uncles. That feel even more wrong to me, but that is just personal. As some may know, I am from Holland, and it wasn't untill a few years ago that first cousins could get married, without to much discussion. I am not certain if a law has been accepted by now, but there was talk of making the marriage illegal, because we have been having issues with girls from cultured that favor arranged marriages, were forced into marrying a cousin, and had to fear for their safety if they didn't. This law would give them a stronger case against the family, and would prevent her from being legally married, which would be a bad thing, in the view of most people concerned.

So,if in cultures as similar as the British and the Dutch ones, an issue like this is not viewed in the exact same way, or handled in the same way, it even has people oppose it for different reasons, it must mean that is is a very thin line and the right or wrong of the situation is up for debate. It's not like they're committing murder, hell, it isn't even adultery!!

The excuse: the relationship is wrong, so blackmail them into breaking up, does not sound good to me.

Still not convinced? Well think of this:

1) Derek wants to be part of the Branning Family
    2) Derek wants Joey to be his son properly
    3) This would result in all Brannings gathering for birthdays, anniversaries, marriages, christenings, funerals, Christmas and New Years Eve, at least
    4) The relationship and Lauren's dui will remain secret, in return for being allowed in the family and having Joey
    5) Lauren would not be sent away, or to prison, as nobody knows or says a thing
    6) Lauren and Joey will have to spend a lot of time in the same room in the forseeable future
    7) Lauren and Joey will still have feelings for each other, but Joey can not show his, in order to protect Lauren, and Lauren is heartbroken by Joey, so she will be in pain seeing him
    8) conversations would be awkward, as topics like family, romance, the car accident, or the dreaded line "having the right to be with who you love" (this seems to be the attitude of many a character, so someone is going to say it/has said it) must be avoided at all times, with 99% of the room not being aware of this.
    9) Both Lauren and Joey would eventually find someone, one of them might have such luck long before the other does, and they will have to watch the person they want to be with, being all lovey dovey with someone else, while this person, unbeknowst to the other one, is feeling the same thing.

I do believe a relationship between cousins might not be a good idea, because of the genetic stuff and the family dynamic (especially if they break up or have problems), but Derek's approach will only cause more problems, as soon, everyone will be on edge while talking to each other, frustrations will come out, tempers will flare and sprouts are certain to fly. The bubbly will also be in the fridge, I bet.