Borderlands 2. Advice required.

Comments

• Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    I finished borderlands2 on xbox360 by playing it online with people who had much higher stats then myself :p ... doubt I'd have finished it otherwise because it gets so bloody difficult. :(

What level did your character finish on? Mine was 32:D i'm going to play through the DLC now.
  • Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    FWIW, I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to be at a higher level now.

I managed to get up the hill and reached the part where you're fighting BNK-3R and there's been a whole bunch of weapons lying around that I can't even use cos it says they're for level 25 and upwards players.

Thing is, the game has to take some of the responsibility for this.
    I mean, if you need to be at a higher level to have a fair chance at certain missions, why make all the parts leading up to that mission so easy that you can complete them easily without being anywhere near the required level?

Also, the way the missions are handed out is a bit flawed too.
    I mean, you rescue Roland, he asks you to do something else, you do it, you turn in and the next mission also comes from Roland too so you accept that one too, and so on.

Surely if the game wanted you to potter around, levelling up, it'd make more sense for the campaign missions to be issued by a more diverse bunch of characters so the player would be encouraged to travel around the game-world and discover various side-quests for themselves?

I'll have to trundle around levelling up before I have a crack at BNK-3R but I'm not looking forward to that.
    Not really keen on boss-fights that just go on for hours, with a boss that simply soaks up a huge amount of damage.
    Seems like a rather "lazy" way to make a game challenging.

*EDIT*
    Oh, meant to say, I think the game managed to screw me over a bit before.
    Seems I was running around and triggered one of the auto-save terminals near the Badass Constructor I was fighting so, as soon as I started to spawn, it'd just launch a bunch of missiles at me and I'd be dead again.

In the end I managed to run right back down the hill, travel to a different area and then travel back again so the game switched me to a spawn point further away from the Constructor again.

After that was sorted out it wasn't that hard to defeat the 2 Constructors and reach BNK-3R.

I think this is the wrong sort of game for you, you seem to be moaning too much about it!:rolleyes::confused:
    Oh, and for the robots, use a weapon with corrosive abilities. Makes it much easier:D
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Steve35 wrote: »
    I think this is the wrong sort of game for you, you seem to be moaning too much about it!:rolleyes::confused:
    Oh, and for the robots, use a weapon with corrosive abilities. Makes it much easier:D

Oh, don't get me wrong. I think it's a great game. :)

It's just the way that I have, basically, just sailed through everything up to that point and then suddenly hit a brick wall that I find a bit "off".

If I'd been finding more and more missions harder and harder to complete then clearly I'd have to be a bit daft not to have realised that I needed to be at a higher level but when you can just whizz along without any problems there's nothing to actually suggest that a player isn't actually AT the required level already.
  • ishinaishina Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I missing something or do I just need to give up and farm a bunch of side-quests in order to level-up before having another crack at this?
    Have you considered getting a friend to help for the hard parts? If you have Xbox Live you can grab a few friends and blitz through it, or grab some random people if no friends are available. If you don't have Xbox Live you can play it offline split-screen co-op, assuming you've got two controllers.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    I did all of the sidequests. I was playing with my brother who did very few of them, yet I was only a level higher at the end of the game! Seemed bloody pointless. I was only doing them to get the achievement though. Some of them are very annoying (particularly the timed ones).
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve35 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with a good moan :), I'd also much rather moan and get some advice, than just give up playing a game I've paid for from my meagre pension.
    Forum Member
    ishina wrote: »
    Have you considered getting a friend to help for the hard parts? If you have Xbox Live you can grab a few friends and blitz through it, or grab some random people if no friends are available. If you don't have Xbox Live you can play it offline split-screen co-op, assuming you've got two controllers.

TBH, I don't really do too much online gaming.
    I have a couple of mates who I play the odd game of "Left 4 Dead" with but that's about it.

Didn't really mean for there to be all the fuss about this.
    I was really just wondering if I might have missed something that I was supposed to do.

As I said, I managed to activate one of the save-game doodads fairly close to the Constructor so every time I died I'd just respawn and get whacked again.
    If there was something I was supposed to be doing I'd at least have had a better chance of success than 20 seconds of blind-panic prior to being smooshed by missiles time after time. :D
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And if that was the case you might have a point which I could agree with.

As it is, what you have is a game which had caused me no problems at all at level 22 but then which suddenly requires that I'm level 25 or greater to do a particular part.

That seems to suggest there's something amiss besides the players lack of clairvoyance with regard to knowing how difficult a particular mission might prove to be.

A bit late to the party, I know.

On the mission screen on the bottom left it tells you the difficulty rating of the mission. TRIVIAL, AVERAGE, HARD, IMPOSSIBLE. If you're being kicked about, only do missions that are TRIVIAL. I tried an IMPOSSIBLE mission at lvl 30/31 and my bullets basically bounced off even the suicide psychos.

Snipers, especially corrosive and scoped assault rifles with explosive damage are great against almost any enemy.
    Keep your distance, change position. Use your Sabre as much as you can.

As for the Commando set-up. Get the Bubble Shield (this is great when there is no cover close by. It will collapse after a bit of punishment but can buy you invaluable time) and Rocket Pods (just devastating) for the Sabre.
    Don't bother with the Gunpowder tree. I put a few points in there for gun damage and whatnot, but found it pointless and respecced at around lvl 23/24.
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you get the sniper rifle at the start of the game?, that would help me enormously I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you get the special edition? That came with a selection of Gearbox weapons. Sniper (good early on), Assault Rifle (decent) and SMG (useless).

Sir Hammerlock will give you a sniper after you complete, (think it's the right name) Bad Hair Day, where you have to collect Bullymong fur. It's a decent early game sniper usually giving mid-60's damage, good stability.
    Forum Member
    As for the Commando set-up. Get the Bubble Shield (this is great when there is no cover close by. It will collapse after a bit of punishment but can buy you invaluable time) and Rocket Pods (just devastating) for the Sabre.
    Don't bother with the Gunpowder tree. I put a few points in there for gun damage and whatnot, but found it pointless and respecced at around lvl 23/24.

TBH, I probably am guilty of not paying sufficient attention to the skills tree.

I've distributed points around fairly evenly but then just completely upgraded the sabre turret simply cos I didn't use it at all in BL1 and I wanted to see what it can do.

It really is a cracking tool except when the baddies have corrosive weapons which can destroy it in a few seconds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bl2skills.com/commando.html#52120100005000000000055205115131

This is pretty close to my lvl 50 Commando. I also have a com that gives +4 to Forebearance and +3 to Grit as well as +35% Max Health and 34.5 Health Regen.
    As you can see the Survival tree is nearly full. So I can deploy 2 turrets with rockets and shields.....

"Light 'em the f@ck up"

"Good effect on target."
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Hi guys.

I have been having a blast with Borderlands 2, I have levelled all five classes to level 50 (albeit confession time: two were done very much with the help of the fleshstick level explot that has now been patched) - and I am more than happy to help out anyone else here.

For anyone who has got this game over the Christmas period and I hope for a couple in this thread who are having a few problems with the game, my two bits of advise are as follows:

1 - join online games with friends! It's much more rewarding both in terms of enjoyment and XP when doing quests on Live. Get two of you into a game, and the mobs get tougher and the rewards get better.

2 - use SHIFT codes. These are codes given out by Gearbox on both Facebook and Twitter to allow you to get free purple items at your character's level from the big chest at the Sanctuary quick travel building. This can help you get through some tough parts of the game.

I am more than happy for any of you to add me (Xbox Live gamertag: DV27) and join in for some online action - I am at a point now where I am doing Playthrough 2.5 on my Assassin and Commando (where all quests are level 50) and I am doing True Vault Hunter Mode on my Siren, Gunzerker and Mechromancer so at the very least you will get good XP.

Hope this helps. Happy new year :)

Dan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know about the purple items being that big of a help. Just because they're purple or orange doesn't make them better.
    I picked up a green scoped explosive spinigun with 1100dam at lvl 19 and got a green Jakobs sniper with 2300dam, 180% crit dam shortly after and both stuck around until playthrough 2. It's just a matter of luck with the numbers.

In B1 I had a white scoped Stomper with something ridiculous (for a white) like 750dam.
    Forum Member
    Well, that was a bit disappointing...

Finished BL2 last night and got a message saying "Real Vault-Hunter mode is now available yadda yadda yadda..."

I still had a handful of side-quests to complete so I carried on playing.
    Stopped playing mid-afternoon and quit out of the game.
    Went to have another go at it later on, restarted the game and got a message asking if I wanted to continue with my current game or try Real Vault Hunter mode.
    Out of curiosity, I clicked "RVH mode" and found myself back on the snowy plain with Claptrap digging me out of the snow.

Oh, okay, so RVH mode starts a new game?
    Hmm, I really wanted to carry on with the side-quests I had remaining.
    Waitaminit! There's no way of reloading my pre-existing save-games?
    So, that's it? Once you select RVH mode, there's no way to go back to a previous game?

It might've been nice if the menu screen had made that a bit more obvious before asking if I wanted to give RVH mode a try. :(
    Forum Member
    Oops, meant to say, as well, the ending was a bit mickey-mouse.
    Very similar to BL1, where the final boss is just a honking great bullet sponge.
    I, literally, didn't have to do anything to kill it other than stand right by the entrance to the arena, keep my crosshairs on the baddie and empty all the ammo from every weapon into it.

It didn't attack me, nothing else attacked me. I just sat there for about 10 minutes with my finger on the left mouse button.
    I didn't even realise that I was supposed to shoot it's armour-plating away to finish the job quicker until right before it died.

Fairly lazy end-boss design IMO. :(
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I've been putting a few hours back into this with a new Gunzerker character which I feel is a much better suited class, at least to my play style. Now lvl19 and enjoying it enough. It DOES get repetitive, no matter how many missions/side missions they throw at you it all boils down to doing the same thing. Not a huge problem as such since it does gunplay so well, driving not so much. I still think the core gameplay of Rage is far superior (imagine if these two games merged together how good that could be!)

I also get tired of looting every single container with a green light. You don't have to do this but I don't seem to be able to stop, maybe I have OCD? Inventory management is too time consuming also. I took some advice in this thread by using elemental weapons; corrosive for robots and fire weapons for human enemies etc. Things are lot easier this time around.

One thing I found helpful was that a lot of the gold key codes given out still work, I have 18 golden keys now from doing this alone. It's great because it really helps out on the more tricky missions!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can go back to 'normal' mode any time you want. It'll be where you last left it. Choose load character rather than continue and you should get the two options.

For all....
    TVHM is the next phase. Known as Playthrough 2 in Borderlands 1. It starts back at the beginning with all your stuff from PT1. (they become obsolete very quickly though) Enemies are harder, quest rewards are better and more XP is gained.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    Yes you can go back to the first walk through. Just go to the character choosing bit at the beginning, choose your normal character again and it will ask if you want new, first run or VH mode. It remembers your save point in each mode.

Regards

Mark
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been putting a few hours back into this with a new Gunzerker character which I feel is a much better suited class, at least to my play style. Now lvl19 and enjoying it enough. It DOES get repetitive, no matter how many missions/side missions they throw at you it all boils down to doing the same thing. Not a huge problem as such since it does gunplay so well, driving not so much. I still think the core gameplay of Rage is far superior (imagine if these two games merged together how good that could be!)

I also get tired of looting every single container with a green light. You don't have to do this but I don't seem to be able to stop, maybe I have OCD? Inventory management is too time consuming also. I took some advice in this thread by using elemental weapons; corrosive for robots and fire weapons for human enemies etc. Things are lot easier this time around.

One thing I found helpful was that a lot of the gold key codes given out still work, I have 18 golden keys now from doing this alone. It's great because it really helps out on the more tricky missions!

Funny you mention Rage. Just started that last night after having it sit on my shelf for a year. Only played an hour. Looks graphically similar to Borderlands with the usual voice talents from Bethesda, as well as John Goodman!?
    Too bad the Hammerlock DLC is out tomorrow.

I almost never have a 'stock' weapon. Elementals in every slot. Usually have one of each type for sniping. Love Maliwan weaponry.
    Forum Member
    You can go back to 'normal' mode any time you want. It'll be where you last left it. Choose load character rather than continue and you should get the two options.

For all....
    TVHM is the next phase. Known as Playthrough 2 in Borderlands 1. It starts back at the beginning with all your stuff from PT1. (they become obsolete very quickly though) Enemies are harder, quest rewards are better and more XP is gained.

Great stuff.

I was a bit stunned to find there wasn't any further apparent choice.

I really want to have a crack at that giant Thresher (forget what it's called) but I'm not sure I could be bothered to replay the entire game to level-up sufficiently.

TBH, I'm not sure there's enough left to do to get me anywhere near Level 50 so I'll probably give it a rest for a while and replay the whole thing.
    Forum Member
    Funny you mention Rage. Just started that last night after having it sit on my shelf for a year. Only played an hour. Looks graphically similar to Borderlands with the usual voice talents from Bethesda, as well as John Goodman!?

I almost never have a 'stock' weapon. Elementals in every slot. Usually have one of each type for sniping. Love Maliwan weaponry.

Worst thing about Rage is how abruptly it ends.
    It's really, really good and you just feel like you're getting into the thick of the action and then you get told you're off to do the final mission. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great stuff.

I was a bit stunned to find there wasn't any further apparent choice.

I really want to have a crack at that giant Thresher (forget what it's called) but I'm not sure I could be bothered to replay the entire game to level-up sufficiently.

TBH, I'm not sure there's enough left to do to get me anywhere near Level 50 so I'll probably give it a rest for a while and replay the whole thing.

Do you not have the DLCs? Like I said, Hammerlock DLC is out tomorrow. The lions, the tigers the bears... New weapons, shields, coms.

Beat the giant thresher at lvl 20 or so. If you've got the right build and gear it should be an easy kill.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member

Rage is pretty awesome. 60fps and some really satisfying gameplay, even the vehicles are a pure joy to drive. Just a shame it's not as vast as BL2. I'm looking forward to getting back to it though as I bought the Scorchers DLC at xmas and it's said to be really good.

Don't think I know what Maliwan weaponry is just yet but it sounds cool. I do love the variety of guns in BL2. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rage is pretty awesome. 60fps and some really satisfying gameplay, even the vehicles are a pure joy to drive. Just a shame it's not as vast as BL2. I'm looking forward to getting back to it though as I bought the Scorchers DLC at xmas and it's said to be really good.

Don't think I know what Maliwan weaponry is just yet but it sounds cool. I do love the variety of guns in BL2. :)

On the weapon card, bottom left corner tells you the manufacturer, Torgue, Maliwan, Dahl, Hyperion, Bandit, Jakobs.
    Maliwan weapons all have elemental effects without exception.
    Torgue have explosive effects no metter what it says on the weapon card.
    Some weapons may be by a certain manufacturer but have parts that come from different companys. Getting used to the differences takes a while.

Damn it. I like Rage so far. I'm gonna have to shell out more money for DLC, I see....