Do you think Rihanna is overrated?

mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I like Rihanna but not as much as I used to.
She seemed better in her early stages.
Her last few albums haven't been the best Talk That Talk was ok though.
She's just seemed to go downhill for me anyway. Most still love her and think she's amazing.

I think she's overrated in the same way GaGa is . She's good but not that good there are better people. Her albums are getting worse.

What do you think is Rihanna overrated?and why?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Yes she's overrated but that's mainly thanks to the press that she courts.

Sick of seeing her half-naked body or side boob/bum & I've yet to hear a decent song from here

Not a fan
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well of course.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    yes she is so overrated
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
    Forum Member
    She's all right but I wonder whether she deserves to be feted as a pop superstar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is not really rated as a good singer, dancer or performer.I would say she is over exposed and lucky to have producers that give her good songs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    Yes!

BUT, she does release some excellent pop tunes! She probably won't ever be considered a pop legend, but she has an excellent hit rate and satisfies a need!!
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    No she's not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No she's not.

Lol...
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No in the sense she has never nor has no one (seriously at least) ever said she was she knows what she is she's good at what she does and that is making music and being a popstar not the saviour of music nor this decades greatest ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sure do. She is the most overrated "artist" since Britney Spears. Actually I can't think of anyone more overrated than Rihanna. She can't sing or dance, and is somehow thought of as a great entertainer.
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erm, if people are buying her records for what they are, how does being 'overrated' come into it? No one's ever claimed she's the most talented singer-songwriter or luminary EVER!
  • mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    I sure do. She is the most overrated "artist" since Britney Spears. Actually I can't think of anyone more overrated than Rihanna. She can't sing or dance, and is somehow thought of as a great entertainer.

Lady GaGa is the same.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mysty211 wrote: »
    Lady GaGa is the same.

Nah, she can sing alright and writes pretty decent pop tunes. She is, however, the most pretentious artist around. I wish she would stop trying to dance because she isn't good at it. Popstars today seem so caught up with being all around performers that they forget they are singers first.

Take Chris Brown. Amazing dancer, but he can't do both because his vocals suffer. He needs to just pick which one he likes more and stop lip syncing. Bieber, is a terrible dancer. He should stick to what he's good at. Usher has the sane problem as CB. Not everyone can or is meant to be a Beyonce or Pink or even Justin Timberlake.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    Erm, if people are buying her records for what they are, how does being 'overrated' come into it? No one's ever claimed she's the most talented singer-songwriter or illuminary EVER!

Exactly i think people need to get off their soap boxes and accept her for what she is at face value :rolleyes:
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mysty211 wrote: »
    Lady GaGa is the same.

I agree. I do not think Rihanna is only artist there are others such as Lady Gaga as you have mentioned. Some would say Beyonce is another example. I think that all three have overexposure by the music channels and the media in general attributed to them.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Underrated. Yes she is the biggest pop star around but people don't see how talented she really is, as well as how involved in her career she is.

She is a huge Icon and I believe in many decades to come, her work will be assessed and be seen at what a fantastic Pop Icon she is. She's no Madonna, she is simply Rihanna. No one like her existed before and only shameful carbon flop copies have been attempted to.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Underrated. Yes she is the biggest pop star around but people don't see how talented she really is, as well as how involved in her career she is.

She is a huge Icon and I believe in many decades to come, her work will be assessed and be seen at what a fantastic Pop Icon she is. She's no Madonna, she is simply Rihanna. No one like her existed before and only shameful carbon flop copies have been attempted to.

^ 100% agree
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also agree.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vile woman
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure I would say she's overrated my only problem with her is she seems to have this "quantity over quality" thing when it comes to her music. She releases an album every year (usually just before Christmas) that has 1 or 2 good songs and the rest is filler. I'd prefer if she went away and made something decent. Rated R was my favourite album. I'd love if she did something like that again but she or her record company are too concerned with hit singles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes she is very lucky to be in the position in that she is not really talented in any area tbh although over 7 years she has grown as a singer,
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nowt wrong with Rihanna, she is a perfect fit for the music she produces and knows how to market herself.
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, not really. Rated R is an incredible album and she's released a string of amazing pop songs (Umbrella, Only Girl In The World, We Found Love, SOS. Disturbia, Russian Roulette, Rude Boy, Don't Stop The Music etc). I think she has a great image and I'm personally a big fan of her voice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I appreciate what she does, and when she gets it right then she does it excellently but since the start of the Talk That Talk album she seems as if her heart isn't in it anymore and she's just letting herself get pushed in whatever direction is favourable while she just gets high or drunk. she appears detached when she performs, especially when she did the radio one big weekend thing, and she just seems disinterested in whatever it is she's doing and that's quite off putting.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rhianna doesn't have one SINGLE writing credit on Unapologetic. (A common argument here is even some music legends didn't write their own songs, but those artists were legends because they were amazing performers or vocalists)

Rhianna cannot dance. Rhianna is a poor singer.

Her current album was written by over 40+ people and suffers for it, lacking cohesion and a theme. She is a big digital seller and singles artist but her album sales are shockingly low WW. That would suggest music fans are happy to spend 1.29 on one of her hits but getting them to part with a tenner is proving somewhat harder.