The 100 worst failures of David Cameron’s Government

1235»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »
    In your vision, would there be trials to see who's actually guilty of something, or does anyone with the job description of "banker" get carted off? Because, it's not always clear when people say "the bankers" whether they are being simplistic or being really simplistic.
    That there have not been masses of convictions is rather odd when you think about it, as the financial crisis was caused by junk mortgage backed securities their derivatives and insurance on these products and their derivatives being sold as triple A rated safe products. Mass systematic fraud, as there has been lots of evidence that people involved in the creation and sale of these products know that the products were not as safe as they were claiming, and when the crisis hit there is also evidence of misappropriation of funds to try and shore up various companies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes they did, Gordon Brown created the FSA and then told it to not regulate, so they were unable to do their Job.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/fmg/workingpapers/specialpapers/pdf/sp193.pdf

Direct culpability !

Those effective and hard nosed regulators are at it again.

"Reprehensible" Lloyds Bank Agrees To $105 Million Wristslap For Manipulating Libor

That will teach them! Having received full credit for for co-operation and suspending some individuals, Lloyds Bank has been fined the staggeringly wrist-slap-like sum of $105 million for the "manipulation, attempted manipulation, and false reporting of Libor." As WSJ reports, the British bank becomes the seventh financial institution to strike a deal with U.S. and U.K. authorities who are conducting a long running probe into allegations of widespread attempts to manipulate Libor. With no less than the head of the Bank of England calling the bank's actions (mainpulating JPY Libor for at least 2 years) "reprehensible," and the CFTC adds individuals bevahior was a "gross breach of trust." Well we are sure after this they will never manipulate another market ever again...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-07-28/reprehensible-lloyds-bank-agrees-105-million-wristslap-manipulating-libor

Good work...
  • spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    I'm astounded at the levels of denial by some of this government's supporters.

What do you expect? They're tory sheep.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    Not in order of importance.
    For example....see item 98 which will feature a lot over the next 10 months.

http://www.labourleft.co.uk/list-the-100-worst-failures-of-david-camerons-government-lestweforget-by-dreoincl/
    Cameron has certainly made some political blunders in the last 4 yrs...
    But you can rest assured that unlike `Wallace Mliband` he would never stab his own flesh & blood in the back for personnel gain
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember the diabolical handling of the floods and their absence at the beginning of the riots. They were all on their jollies. Johnson refused to cut short his holiday.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    In your vision, would there be trials to see who's actually guilty of something, or does anyone with the job description of "banker" get carted off? Because, it's not always clear when people say "the bankers" whether they are being simplistic or being really simplistic.

Not really worth carrying on with this. The people you defend have gotten away with it. I'm sure they appreciate your support, assuming they consider you at all, which I doubt.
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Not really worth carrying on with this. The people you defend have gotten away with it. I'm sure they appreciate your support, assuming they consider you at all, which I doubt.

Oh dear, you appear to have misunderstood my highlighting your sweeping generalisations about "the bankers", as if they are all one homogeneous group, for my defence or support of those that broke laws. If you can't realise that you're being as simplistic as those who join in discussions using generalisations like "the immigrants" or "the Muslims" then you're probably right, it's not really worth you carrying on.
  • MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    ecckles wrote: »
    Cameron has certainly made some political blunders in the last 4 yrs...
    But you can rest assured that unlike `Wallace Mliband` he would never stab his own flesh & blood in the back for personnel gain

No I still don't get this... can siblings never run for the same position without this hyperbole?
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Oh dear, you appear to have misunderstood my highlighting your sweeping generalisations about "the bankers", as if they are all one homogeneous group, for my defence or support of those that broke laws. If you can't realise that you're being as simplistic as those who join in discussions using generalisations like "the immigrants" or "the Muslims" then you're probably right, it's not really worth you carrying on.

Are you in the legal profession? Perhaps I should have but in a footnote where I specified, in small-print and in extreme detail, what particular people I was referring to when I said 'the bankers'.

I apologise for assuming that readers may have had some clue who I was on about, given that we've been talking about these people for many years now...
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Are you in the legal profession? Perhaps I should have but in a footnote where I specified, in small-print and in extreme detail, what particular people I was referring to when I said 'the bankers'.

I apologise for assuming that readers may have had some clue who I was on about, given that we've been talking about these people for many years now...

Maybe if you hadn't crowbarred "the bankers" into a conversation about the exploitation of suicide statistics eh?
  • AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember the diabolical handling of the floods and their absence at the beginning of the riots. They were all on their jollies. Johnson refused to cut short his holiday.

I seem to remember Milliband turning up in his designer wellies. Not that he does "photo ops" :D
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyCopen wrote: »
    I seem to remember Milliband turning up in his designer wellies. Not that he does "photo ops" :D

ed-miliband-out-of-his-depth
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wasn't aware he was in government running the country.

Holding the opposition responsible for not running the country, that's a new one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't aware he was in government running the country.

Holding the opposition responsible for not running the country, that's a new one.

The brainwashed son of a Marxist intellectual could not even run a bath on his own, just kind of funny he likes to get his ugly mug photographed rather a lot, for someone who does not do "image"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The brainwashed son of a Marxist intellectual could not even run a bath on his own, just kind of funny he likes to get his ugly mug photographed rather a lot, for someone who does not do "image"

This thread is about current government failure, you're not talking about someone in government.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is about current government failure, you're not talking about someone in government.

I must have missed the bit it when
    Johnson refused to cut short his holiday.

Boris became part of the government.