Options

Foxsat+ 400Gb clock symbol problem

red16vred16v Posts: 2,979
Forum Member
✭✭✭
One for the more experienced owners I think. We are lucky enough to own two of these boxes and we are still delighted with them. But one of them has developed a strange 'problem' in recent weeks.

The box is set in the menus to:
Power on at 1700.
Power on channel 104 Channel 4
Power off 0130.

My wife has noticed recently that when she goes to watch the TV (through the Foxsat) generally some time after 7pm, but certainly after 1700, the pvr is displaying the clock symbol (only - there are no other lights or displays at all) and no combination of button pressing on the remote will make the pvr revert to normal or indeed any operation. The pvr seems lifeless apart from this clock symbol and does nor respond to the remote control at all. She can only remedy the situation by performing a mains off/on.

I note in the manual that this symbol is:

"Displayed only if the programme is reserved for watching."

I have asked her to double check that nothing appears to be set aside (reserved) for recording on the EPG display or in the schedule menu - nothing is.

Our second box (in another building) continues to work as expected and is absolutely fine.

I'd be grateful for any pointers.

Comments

• Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    red16v wrote: »
    One for the more experienced owners I think. We are lucky enough to own two of these boxes and we are still delighted with them. But one of them has developed a strange 'problem' in recent weeks.

The box is set in the menus to:
    Power on at 1700.
    Power on channel 104 Channel 4
    Power off 0130.

My wife has noticed recently that when she goes to watch the TV (through the Foxsat) generally some time after 7pm, but certainly after 1700, the pvr is displaying the clock symbol (only - there are no other lights or displays at all) and no combination of button pressing on the remote will make the pvr revert to normal or indeed any operation. The pvr seems lifeless apart from this clock symbol and does nor respond to the remote control at all. She can only remedy the situation by performing a mains off/on.

I note in the manual that this symbol is:

"Displayed only if the programme is reserved for watching."

I have asked her to double check that nothing appears to be set aside (reserved) for recording on the EPG display or in the schedule menu - nothing is.

Our second box (in another building) continues to work as expected and is absolutely fine.

I'd be grateful for any pointers.

I suspect it it looking for a series to reappear within the 13 week window.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    I suspect it it looking for a series to reappear within the 13 week window.

I'm not sure I quite undestand your suggestion. Both of our Humax Foxsats have a selection of programmes that have been set to up 'series record'. Downton Abbey would be an example for instance which finished a few weeks ago- but only the one Humax box is showing this problem.

The pertinent point here is, I think, that the box displaying the clock symbol and will not do anything - it does not respond at all to the remote control and the mains to it has to be switched off/on to restore normal operation. I would not expect any normal operational mode to allow the box to get it's 'Knickers in such a twist!'
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try a factory reset on the problem box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try a factory reset on the problem box.

Do you think there is any point in contacting Humax's technical support number/email beforehand.

Does performing a factory reset effectively delete all the existing programme material previously recorded on the hard drive?
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    red16v wrote: »
    Do you think there is any point in contacting Humax's technical support number/email beforehand.

Does performing a factory reset effectively delete all the existing programme material previously recorded on the hard drive?

No but it will delete all your recording schedules so make a note first, also reset any changes to defaults like power saving, auto power off, box volume etc. If you contact Humax they will ask you to try a reset first anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No but it will delete all your recording schedules so make a note first, also reset any changes to defaults like power saving, auto power off, box volume etc. If you contact Humax they will ask you to try a reset first anyway.

Thanks for your help, I will give that a go in a few days time and report back after a few days trial. Thanks again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well since I last posted the box has not played up at all, so I think the best thing to do at this stage is to sit on my hands. Thanks for the helpful replies.