Vintage HiFi

speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What vintage Hifi are you running?
I'm still using my Quad 33/303/Fm3 setup, with a Pioneer PL12D, with SME headshell of course.

Comments

• Andy CarltonAndy Carlton Posts: 4,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am still using a Panasonic seperates stacker system in it's original cabinet.

Panasonic SU-2700 Amp
    Panasonic ST -2700 Tuner
    Panasonic RS -619 Tape Deck
    Panasonic SL-H302 Turntable

Panasonic 2 way speakers.

This system is from 1980 and is in very near mint condition. The internal circuit boards have all been cleaned and dust removed, knobs have all been lubricated internally, belt on the turntable has been replaced and fitted with an 'OM' Ortofon cartridge. The belt has also been replaced on the cassette deck with the heads re-aligned, the tuner has been tweaked and is recieving FM stations way outside their broadcast area and the tuning dial has also been aligned so that it is exactly on frequency. The main 8" drivers have been replaced with better quality ones. I picked this up for £20 at a house clearance about a year ago and it has been the main system ever since. I have also added a brushed aluminuim CD player to match - unfortunately not Panasonic.

The reason why I have kept this is because I have spent a bit on modern seperates in the past and they have sounded quite poor in comparison to this Panasonic. There seems to be no 'punch' or warmth with todays seperate systems.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    speigel wrote: »
    I'm still using my Quad 33/303/Fm3 setup, with a Pioneer PL12D, with SME headshell of course.

The old Quad stuff is still highly sort after, with many after market modifications and even replacement boards available.

What speakers are you using?.
  • veseyvesey Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    I use a 1980's Sansui turntable (connected up to a more modern denon amp)
  • blueacidblueacid Posts: 2,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got the preamp and amplifier; but I've got an Aiwa C50 preamplifier and an Aiwa P50 power amp.

Great little things, think they're from the late 70s or early 80s - they belonged to my mum and were destined for the bin, so I grabbed hold!
  • speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The old Quad stuff is still highly sort after, with many after market modifications and even replacement boards available.

What speakers are you using?.

Rogers LS4/a 's
  • Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I'm still using my technics class AA amp and seperate graphic equaliser that i bought in the late 80's - powering B&W speakers

In the loft I have a technics linear record deck, the heaviest and most buttoned technics CD player in the world and technics tape deck
  • HowieCHowieC Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    I have a vintage turntable which produces fabulous results.
    Ariston Audio RD11
    SME 3009
    Shure VN35HE
    Other than the occasional stylus and belt its never put a foot wrong, and its around 30 years old.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My brother is still using my first Hi-fi system circa 1985. This was an excellent set-up for the price at the time and the clarity of sound it produced was a big step up from the cheap stereo I had been use to at my parents house:

Dual CS505-2 turntable with Audio Technica AT110E cartridge
    NAD 3130 Amp
    NAD 4130 Tuner (a slightly later addition)
    Marantz CD65 'SE' CD Player (a 1989 addition)
    Heybrook HB1 mk 1 speakers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duplicate post
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course.

I doubt there's much better available today, certainly not ain that price band save the age of the amps internal soldering, and a Linn Sondek turntable with all the fixings.

Still using my Monitor Audio Monitor 14's (just repaired, tightened cone seats and fitted new banana plugs today) which are a little bit newer, and an Ariston Pro turntable - but everything else has changed, pretty much.
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a lovely Marrantz ST450L radio tuner, brushed aluminium, with an electric-gryo tuner wheel (its so cool) and a bright green led display, possibly the best tuner I have ever had.
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2555ikh.jpg
    only cost £10 from a second hand shop 8 years ago in northampton
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,901
    Forum Member
    I have a nice Rodgers Cadet Amplifier that's 40 year old, had it for my 21 st;)
  • battlezonebattlezone Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not using it now but I have the complete Rotel 2000 Series (all top end models) in the loft. The turntable was a Technics SL1310 MkII & the Speakers Pioneer HPM150.

It all went in the loft coz the thing took up so much space in our living room.
  • Dave48Dave48 Posts: 170
    Forum Member

Linn Sondeck LP12 Turntable
    Linn Ittok Arm
    Linn Troika M.C Cartridge

Naim NAC 62 (S) Pre-amplifier
    Naim NAP 90 Power amplifier
    Naim High Cap power supply

Naim NA-IBL Speakers

Still sounding sweet :)
  • JamesBsheppardJamesBsheppard Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    I still use my very 1st set of separates from the early 80's, A Pioneer sa520 Amp & Pioneer TX540L Tuner, it's not my main system but it gets used every day in the kitchen,i also have an Akai CS703D tape deck that I picked up at a car boot sale for £1:D still working fine.
  • richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,888
    Forum Member
    scruffpot wrote: »
    I have a lovely Marrantz ST450L radio tuner, brushed aluminium, with an electric-gryo tuner wheel (its so cool) and a bright green led display, possibly the best tuner I have ever had.
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2555ikh.jpg
    only cost £10 from a second hand shop 8 years ago in northampton

i sold that model in the mid eighties when i worked in Peters Hi-Fi in Birkenhead, it's good.
  • richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,888
    Forum Member
    i'm using a Beocenter 3500 from 1973, it's fantastic!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if anyones got any more photo's of this stuff, or wouldn't mind taking some, I'd be very interested in seeing some!
  • Andy CarltonAndy Carlton Posts: 4,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if anyones got any more photo's of this stuff, or wouldn't mind taking some, I'd be very interested in seeing some!

Here's mine that sits proudly in the lounge:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=293hz79&s=5

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1zvsdtx&s=5

(Note the major spelling mistake)...Oooohhh.. :p
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Old Armstrong kit just goes on and on, there is some information here http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/Armstrong/600/600page2.html.

I have one (model 626) dating from 1975 and it's superb. I bought it 15 years ago from a dealer who didn't know what it was. I offered him £25 and he accepted. I've never had much use for the AM tuner though. They come up on Ebay fron time to time.
  • speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see some nice old kit still being used. Personnaly I can't stand all the MP3/dowload nonsense. It just doesn't sound the same.
    Forum Member
    Nice to see some nice old kit still being used. Personnaly I can't stand all the MP3/dowload nonsense. It just doesn't sound the same.

Just to upset you, as it upset me!.

Years ago I used to help run a small club, I was the technical guy and second DJ - and we had bands on every Friday and Saturday night.

A band came one night, and for their PA they had FOURTEEN! Quad 33's :cry:

Even worse, they had been given them :cry::cry::cry:

Worse still, one had the top all crushed in, but still worked fine.

This was 30+ years ago, but it still brings tears to my eyes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...A band came one night, and for their PA they had FOURTEEN! Quad 33's :cry:
    No need to turn the heating on in the place then!:p
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    No need to turn the heating on in the place then!:p

Not when it's full of sweaty bikers! :D
  • darkmatter111darkmatter111 Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Dave48 wrote: »
    Linn Sondeck LP12 Turntable
    Linn Ittok Arm
    Linn Troika M.C Cartridge

Naim NAC 62 (S) Pre-amplifier
    Naim NAP 90 Power amplifier
    Naim High Cap power supply

Naim NA-IBL Speakers

Still sounding sweet :)

Excellent I run a similar TT with Aro arm into a NAC 32.5 Hi-Cap & NAP 250 all chrome bumper
    Simon :)