Options

Is Grimshaw really scaring off the over-30s?

Comments

• Options
    pjexpjex Posts: 9,398
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    I find it quite disgusting that a BBC exec is celebrating scaring off listeners and hence licence fee payers.

The BBC need to realise that 30somethings are not the same as they were decades ago, they aren't going to move to Radio 2 to listen to easy listening classics, they still want to know about new music and listen to youthful banter.

As all ages pay the same licence fee, is it right that 30-50 year olds are not provided with a national FM radio station?

I think Radio 2 covers this age range quite well, with Coxy blasting out American Boy at 8am this morning.
  • Options
    RedAmberGreen2RedAmberGreen2 Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    I find it quite disgusting that a BBC exec is celebrating scaring off listeners and hence licence fee payers.

The BBC need to realise that 30somethings are not the same as they were decades ago, they aren't going to move to Radio 2 to listen to easy listening classics, they still want to know about new music and listen to youthful banter.

As all ages pay the same licence fee, is it right that 30-50 year olds are not provided with a national FM radio station?

BIB - you don't seem to have listened to Radio 2 for a while.
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    i asked the exact same question nearly 2 and a half years ago

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1796135&highlight=

now i only listen to absolute or non uk stations (absolute in the car and on our stereos, otherwise its spotify or non uk stations)

I'm starting to swing more towards abolition of the license fee as i cannot see what i get for it

Absolute doesn't fit me though as it's primarily guitar based music and I don't want to listen to it all the time. The commercial stations I listen to are Capital Xtra, Kiss and Capital in that order. But primarily I do still listen to Radio 1 so they haven't scared me off yet. It's just the best mix of music for me out of the lot.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,059
    Forum Member
    People in their 30's and 40's are really badly served by music radio. Radio 2 is too old, Heart is horrible and Capital too repetitive. 6Music is only good if you are into the indie type music they play.
  • Options
    carlito_coolcarlito_cool Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    I just find the tone of Ben Cooper patronising that Grimmy is "scaring away over 30s".

Grimmy is a couple of months away from being an over 30 himself, yet he continues to act as if he's still 17 with his immature style of presenting and his use of dumbed down TOWIE style vocabulary.

The problem you've got is the patronising "this is what under 30s love" - people aren't dumb and know the whole Grimmy character is fake and, after almost 3 years, are getting tired of it.

You have Scott Mills, a lot older but far more in touch with everyone as he doesn't force his on air persona. It's come naturally and its likeable. Grimmy is far too forced.

You have the likes of Capital who engage young people, but definitely don't force it and it's the same with Kiss, it's natural and works. Grimmy is a guy who once pushed Indie music and disliked pop but now pushes Taylor Swift down your throat because he's "soooo obsessed with her".

If anything, the boss can claim Grimmy's doing his job, but I put it that those lost listeners aren't so much over 30s, it's a general mix of ages growing tired.

It's easy to spin a story any way you want to the public when you know the public never get to see the full results!
  • Options
    Phil DoddPhil Dodd Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The real subject of this thread is that people in their thirties don't have their own BBC radio station. This is a perfectly valid complaint when looking at the UK demographics :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_United_Kingdom

Radio 1 is supposedly meant to be catering for 18 percent of the population, based on the demographics of 18 percent being 15 to 30. People in their thirties make up 13 percent of the population.

The real truth is that technology has not been allowed to address the problem. How many technical solutions could have been provided, even from the end of the 1960s ? Dozens.

Firstly, there must be a radio channel freely available that young people can identify with. It shouldn't just be about music – it should be discussion and advice too. Young people will only identify with other young people. Nick Grimshaw is 31 this August, and because of the massive maturity changes in young men at the age of 25, and women at 30, the younger audience are going to notice their differences with him.

Amalgamating 1Xtra with Radio 1is not solving anything. It will simply deprive that audience of their channel, and leave them unrepresented.

Yes – there should be an additional channel for all of you in your thirties – it is the BBC, Ofcom and Westminster who have failed you by not providing it for the past half-century. Perhaps a major review of the BBC by Westminster will be a good thing, but don't deprive other listening groups of their channels just to benefit your population demographic. That won't solve anything.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Dodd wrote: »
    Perhaps a major review of the BBC by Westminster will be a good thing, but don't deprive other listening groups of their channels just to benefit your population demographic. That won't solve anything.
    There was a recent review
    http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/our_work/music_radio/music_radio.pdf
    We received a wide range of comments on Radio 2’s age target but see no
    reason to change it
    167 While Radio 1 has a clear remit to focus on a young audience, Radio 2 should target “a broad
    audience, appealing to all age groups over 35”. We have received a range of comments on
    whether this is a valid, or correct description of the audience for Radio 2.
    168 Naturally, for many listeners, the idea of a radio station ‘targeting’ particular age groups is not
    valid. Some listeners feel that the respective target ages of Radio 1 and Radio 2 leave a gap
    where the BBC does not serve them properly: they feel too old for Radio 1 and not yet ready
    to move on to Radio 2. However, in our research many listeners said that they felt Radio 2
    appeals to people in their late 20s as well as those aged over 35. Performance data illustrates
    this, as Radio 2 is listened to by around 17.5% of 25-34s each week52
    169 We heard from a number of stakeholders, including representatives from the music industry,
    who feel that there shouldn’t be an age gap in the target audiences between Radio 1 and 2,
    as the BBC should provide something for everyone. The BPI, for instance, states 6 Music is
    crucial in that regard and it is growing its audience as a result.
    170 Having considered these views and the performance data showing how BBC radio stations
    serve different age groups, we conclude that there is not a major problem in terms of listeners
    in their early 30s not being well served by the BBC (as shown in Figure 1 in section 1.2).
    171 Conversely, commercial radio wants Radio 2’s age target to be increased to 45+ in order that
    the most valuable audience of 25-44 year-olds can be left to the commercial market to serve.
    RadioCentre states that Radio 2 has been allowed to skew its content to a younger audience,
    and that it is time for this to be reversed. It also states that the BBC’s pop music stations
    (Radio 1, Radio 2, 1Xtra and 6 Music) super-serve listeners aged 25-44. We do not agree that
    the BBC should consciously not serve particular age groups, as the licence fee gives it a duty
    to provide something for everyone across a range of services.
  • Options
    GeordieyodelGeordieyodel Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It goes back again to the age old question of Radio 1.5; Merge Radio 1 and 1Xtra, with Grimmy, Greg James, Clara Amfo, Sarah Jane Crawford, Annie Mac and Mistajam at the helm of weekdays; Radio 1.5 with Scott Mills, Sara Cox, Zoe Ball, Chris Moyles, Jo Whiley and Richard Bacon; radio 2 as it now but more of Tony Blackburn and the obligatory over-mention of Alex Lester and Richard Allinson to keep everyone happy. Sorted.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »

extract:

"The British Bus Corporation has taken the decision to provide a bus at 7.00 am and one at 9.00 am. The BBC is aware that there is a large group of passengers who would use a bus at 8.00 am. However, as the 7 o'clock bus is always late, and the 9 o'clock is often early, we consider there is no need for a separate bus for 8 o'clock travellers.

If passengers wish to travel at 8 o'clock, we recommend they use one of the rival commercial bus services. Admittedly, there isn't a rival commercial bus at 8 o'clock, but that's not our problem."
  • Options
    Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    extract:

"The British Bus Corporation has taken the decision to provide a bus at 7.00 am and one at 9.00 am. The BBC is aware that there is a large group of passengers who would use a bus at 8.00 am. However, as the 7 o'clock bus is always late, and the 9 o'clock is often early, we consider there is no need for a separate bus for 8 o'clock travellers.

If passengers wish to travel at 8 o'clock, we recommend they use one of the rival commercial bus services. Admittedly, there isn't a rival commercial bus at 8 o'clock, but that's not our problem."

Absolutely 100% spot on. I couldn't have put it better myself!
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in my early 30s and yes, Grimshaw was part of what sealed the deal for me not to listen to Radio 1 anymore. The loss of Gilles Peterson was the final nail in the coffin though but 6 always made more sense for him anyway.

Now I listen almost exclusively to 1xtra which I think should be called 6Urban or something because it has almost nothing in common with 1 to me. I just like a lot of grime, hip hop, and urban music and they basically only play that with little nonsense around it.
    I prefer 1xtra to Radio1 and I'm in my 40s. Dunno what Ben Cooper would think of THAT!!
    The problem I find with Frimmy isn't the younger acts or audience he seeks, just that he's so utterly inane and CRAP. He's utterly unrelatable to his audience (they might dream of knowing Rita Ora/Harry Styles etc but in reality they never will)
    His features are all ancient and tired as hell, he's actually quite boring and, in a move that should worry Ben Cooper he's been starting to make cultural references that will go over the heads of most Tweenies (mentioning TV progs from over 10 yrs ago & old music)
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    I prefer 1xtra to Radio1 and I'm in my 40s. Dunno what Ben Cooper would think of THAT!!
    The problem I find with Frimmy isn't the younger acts or audience he seeks, just that he's so utterly inane and CRAP. He's utterly unrelatable to his audience (they might dream of knowing Rita Ora/Harry Styles etc but in reality they never will)
    His features are all ancient and tired as hell, he's actually quite boring and, in a move that should worry Ben Cooper he's been starting to make cultural references that will go over the heads of most Tweenies (mentioning TV progs from over 10 yrs ago & old music)

Most of the features have been there since the start, and there never seems to be a strong production team in place. New features like Happy Hardcore FM, which started as a throwaway joke, are promoted hours in advance like the main flagship feature of the show.

I also agree that he celebrates a lack of knowledge, in a similar way to how teenage girls do, pretending to not know about what's in the news etc.

The difference between Grimmy and Greg James couldn't be more obvious. Greg is an old school radio man, you can tell he is channelling the old Chris Moyles Show with many of his features. I bet his show skews older, so I just hope they don't force him to change.

Merging 1 and 1xtra and creating radio 1.5 would be the ideal situation. As it keeps being said that kids don't listen to an actual radio, the new radio 1 could be DAB only, with 1.5 taking over the FM frequency. To save money evening and overnight programming could be shared.
  • Options
    David_LIchfieldDavid_LIchfield Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    When there's another station that plays Everything Everything next to DJ Fresh, Alt-J alongside Charli XCX and Rudimental next to Bombay Bicycle Club, I might look into going somewhere else. As someone else said, people in their thirties are younger-minded than their equivalents of twenty or thirty years ago. We pay our licence fees too, grew up on dance music and hip-hop (can you imagine Eminem, The Prodigy or even much Foo Fighters being playlisted on Radio 2?) and want to switch the radio on and be predominantly in 2015, not 1985 or 1995.

What a load of silly ageist bollocks this is.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When there's another station that plays Everything Everything next to DJ Fresh, Alt-J alongside Charli XCX and Rudimental next to Bombay Bicycle Club, I might look into going somewhere else. As someone else said, people in their thirties are younger-minded than their equivalents of twenty or thirty years ago. We pay our licence fees too, grew up on dance music and hip-hop (can you imagine Eminem, The Prodigy or even much Foo Fighters being playlisted on Radio 2?) and want to switch the radio on and be predominantly in 2015, not 1985 or 1995.

What a load of silly ageist bollocks this is.
    Agreed. Having been bought up on a musical diet like your own how am I gonna switch to sleepy radio 2?? They don't play the prodigy or Skrillex & neither do Radio 6 which seems strictly rock/indie from what I've heard.
    Ironically Radio 1 play Skrillex,Foo Fighters ,Prodigy etc-music I want to hear but apparently Im not welcome being well over 30.
    And with Grimmy being almost 31, Scott Mills being over 40 & Ben Cooper himself apparently being over 40 that just seems to be taking the piss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    Agreed. Having been bought up on a musical diet like your own how am I gonna switch to sleepy radio 2?? They don't play the prodigy or Skrillex & neither do Radio 6 which seems strictly rock/indie from what I've heard.
    Ironically Radio 1 play Skrillex,Foo Fighters ,Prodigy etc-music I want to hear but apparently Im not welcome being well over 30.
    And with Grimmy being almost 31, Scott Mills being over 40 & Ben Cooper himself apparently being over 40 that just seems to be taking the piss.

Agreed. This whole situation is just beyond stupid. I'm praying for the day when the BBC Trust realise this. The thirtysomethings I remember from when I was growing up were much more middle-aged in their attitudes, interests and general outlook than we are. Something really has to give. No commercial radio station is ever going to come up with a playlist as diverse as Radio 1's, they'd be too scared of worrying their advertisers. Even if Radio 2 started playing loads of acid house, I'd still want largely contemporary music from my main radio station.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quote from Ben Cooper himself:

“I’m 43 and I will always probably continue to listen to (Radio 1) because I love new music and I want to know what the next big thing is. There’ll always be a section of society, whatever age, who will want to do that.”

Yet he's hell-bent on scaring the over-30s off and absolutely ecstatic about losing older listeners, despite being a decade-and-a-half out of the target audience himself. Totally ridiculous. He should be pleading with the BBC Trust to raise the upper age limit to something more reasonable, if anything.
  • Options
    ian001ian001 Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole issue of average age has been an entirely unnecessary imposition and distraction by the BBC Trust.

The average age of the BBC1 and BBC2 viewer is 58-59 and yet the BBC wants to shut down BBC3 as a linear TV channel.

When Newsround was on BBC1 its average viewing age was well over 40, yet it was never seen to be failing children.
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the over 30's are no longer welcome on Radio One

Sorry Pete Tong, you have my sympathies
  • Options
    Stephen_SimpsonStephen_Simpson Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think everything that I've wanted to say has been said. Radio 1 is badly managed and is sleepwalking into the same path BBC3 is heading into, which only puts the license fee on borrowed time.

Ben Cooper talks proudly about cutting out the over 30 demographic from Radio 1, thereby lowering the audience share for the station. Yet the youth demographic hasn't gone up, leaving the station in a very embarrassing state ratings wise. Cooper congratulating Nick on shredding the over 30s is a very stupid thing to say. Its only going to put him in worse water if ratings plummet further.
  • Options
    Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think everything that I've wanted to say has been said. Radio 1 is badly managed and is sleepwalking into the same path BBC3 is heading into, which only puts the license fee on borrowed time.

Ben Cooper talks proudly about cutting out the over 30 demographic from Radio 1, thereby lowering the audience share for the station. Yet the youth demographic hasn't gone up, leaving the station in a very embarrassing state ratings wise. Cooper congratulating Nick on shredding the over 30s is a very stupid thing to say. Its only going to put him in worse water if ratings plummet further.

It really does seem as though the BBC is on some sort self inflicted path of destruction and giving the Tories, Murdoch and the Daily Mail all the free ammunition to call for the scrapping of services and eventual privatisation of the BBC. And unfortunately when they finally wake up to the damage they've caused it will be too late.
  • Options
    RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben Cooper has actually been the deputy controller of R1&1xtra whilst Andy Parfitt was there.

I do like Grimmy, but he is just not right for the breakfast show. He was fine in the evenings. For me, the Breakfast Show with Grimmy is the main weak point for R1 now. I wish Greg James did it, although I'm loving Greg on the Drivetime Show too. I have been up a few times and listened to Grimmy, but I just did not find him that entertaining at times. I do like the Nixtape idea though. It's a shame really because I love loads of other shows on Radio 1. I listen to Greg James and Annie Mac the most at the moment I'd say. I'm also liking Phil Taggart, Alice Levine, some of the overnight shows too.

Radio 1 has always aimed to young people. Don't forget, moves to try and attract more younger viewers were made whilst Andy Parfitt was there, but he didn't seem as desperate for attracting younger viewers either. It was in 2009 when Annie Mac and Pete Tong swapped slots and he was there whilst it was announced in 2011 Jo Whiley would move to R2 (who was also an occasional stand in presenter for Radio 2 as well since 2009). It was also Parfitt's decision to replace Jo and Edith with Fearne and Greg in 2009.

But yeah, there are people in their 30s who love the music being played on Radio 1, just not some of the presenters.
  • Options
    andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't got a problem with grimmy as a person, or even as a dj, he is simply taking orders from those higher up and those orders are misguided.

I like Alice Levine too, she seems very talented but i fear that her days at r1 would be numbered in favour of someone from 1xtra.

R1 itself is going to go into a freefall with ratings, the over 30s will be pushed out and the under 30s won't want to listen to the station that they are told is for them, when if they want to hear something they have the technology and know-how to find it for themselves. At that point will the bbc trust have a massive meltdown and demand that r1 attracts listeners from anywhere? this whole attracting under 30s thing has been around since about 93, I was one of the under 30s stolen from commercial radio back then,
  • Options
    Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    The issue is if you live in an area where the only choice for music on FM ( ie the car radio ) is Radio 1, Heart, Heart, Heart, or Heart and you dont like radio2 then where next?
    You could go with a DAB radio, but why bother with a new device that offers poor sound quality when you can listen to things like spotify, iTunes, google play music and so on by plugging your phone into the car radio, or at home on the computer and so on.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if we see Radio1 leave FM and follow BBC Three to become on-line only, or even see the part ( or even full ) privatisation of Radio 1 with it being commercially funded by day, and a public service licence fee ( or other ) funded evenings and overnight.
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prefer Scott Mills. Excellent broadcaster
  • Options
    andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard_T wrote: »
    The issue is if you live in an area where the only choice for music on FM ( ie the car radio ) is Radio 1, Heart, Heart, Heart, or Heart and you dont like radio2 then where next?
    You could go with a DAB radio, but why bother with a new device that offers poor sound quality when you can listen to things like spotify, iTunes, google play music and so on by plugging your phone into the car radio, or at home on the computer and so on.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if we see Radio1 leave FM and follow BBC Three to become on-line only, or even see the part ( or even full ) privatisation of Radio 1 with it being commercially funded by day, and a public service licence fee ( or other ) funded evenings and overnight.

we have 2 local stations within range that are non-global, one small one owned by utv and one larger one owned by bauer

at home we have dab, but in the car its normal fm. i subscribe to spotify at the moment, eventually want a car with dab built in but thats a longer term goal.

Scott mills is excellent so I may tune in to him on the way home from work this afternoon, my r1 listening is becoming more and more infrequent though