Questions about my new Nook Simple Touch

My local Asda has come into a big stack of these at last, so I purchased one today.

They didn't have any chargers in stock, and this little netbook won't emit enough juice to charge it, so I'm charging it with an HTC phone charger, which I read online worked fine...

...I hope it does! It's been going just shy of three hours, the orange charge light still shines.

The other point is, is there drag and drop functionality on these readers, so I can transfer stuff downloaded from, say, Project Gutenberg or other free e-book sources rather than the Nook store?

Here's hoping!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought all USB ports gave off 5 volts? With the exception of maybe iPad chargers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    I've rooted mine and set it up to run kindle by default. Much better. (Can't remember how long first charge took .... sorry! ..... but I do recall it was quite long)

Don't have it with me (need to finish the backlog of paper books before I start using it properly) but, from memory, once rooted you can just drag and drop files into it. Not sure in standard form though.

And it's the mA rating that determines the speed of charging, not the voltage.
  • FiendishlyCFiendishlyC Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Get Calibre - it's a fantastic ebook manager that will transfer books onto your nook and convert them if necessary.

I rooted mine but I still prefer the built in reader as you have more options. I use the kindle app for my kindle books and the nook reader for everything else

I find prices in the nook store lag behind Amazon and are often higher...
  • soup_dragonsoup_dragon Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    +1 for Calibre

It's so easy to use and you can convert between formats with it :)

Cheers Tom
  • john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just got one of these and they're fantastic. The Nook beats it's Kindle equivalent in every review I've read in all aspects apart from the bookstore (and if you want to use Amazon you can just root ithe Nook anyway).

For £29 you'd be mad not to buy one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Thanks! I'm running on a little linux netbook here which probably won't support calibre, possible I can work something at my local library. Darn glad I bought the thing, hopefully it will be a great little device for me
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    +1 for Calibre

It's so easy to use and you can convert between formats with it :)

Cheers Tom

Another shout out for Calibre. I have a Sony eReader and Calibre even allows me to xfer my kindle purchases onto it.
  • dont_be_hastydont_be_hasty Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    Thanks! I'm running on a little linux netbook here which probably won't support calibre, possible I can work something at my local library. Darn glad I bought the thing, hopefully it will be a great little device for me

As well as Calibre there is also some online ebook convertors, you could maybe give them a try if Calibre doesn't run on Linux.

http://ebook.online-convert.com/
    http://www.2epub.com/
    http://www.zamzar.com/convert
    www.convertfiles.com/convert/ebook