Options

Will there be terrestrial highlights of the ICC World Twenty20 cricket?

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I understand it, they are allowed to show two minutes of footage, as long as they credit Sky Sports on-screen.

Outside of this they would have to pay for use of the pictures.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westward wrote: »
    As I understand it, they are allowed to show two minutes of footage, as long as they credit Sky Sports on-screen.

Outside of this they would have to pay for use of the pictures.

they didnt put a credit up.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually as a sports news channel, rather than a news channel, Setanta SN isn't entitled to news access rights of other people's coverage.

...However as a Reuters and SNTV subscriber, it's entitled to use any of the newsfeeds distributed by Reuters or SNTV regardless of who has the rights. Hence it can show ICC footage which is distributed by Reuters.
  • Options
    emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    good question?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Actually as a sports news channel, rather than a news channel, Setanta SN isn't entitled to news access rights of other people's coverage.

...However as a Reuters and SNTV subscriber, it's entitled to use any of the newsfeeds distributed by Reuters or SNTV regardless of who has the rights. Hence it can show ICC footage which is distributed by Reuters.

Unless it stipulates no access uk, which it does for british and irish lions material which comes down on the sntv feed. ps - setanta sports news dont have any access to the rtv feed, or if they have, they dont use it
  • Options
    tvphiltvphil Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do people think about the BBC tv coverage so far?

I think it has actually been pretty good, I have been quite impressed.

(Except of course for the late evening scheduling - I have been watching it on Sky+ the next day.)

Hopefully this won't be the only cricket on the BBC for the next couple of years. Roumer has it that the contract for the World Twenty20 highlights also included one other competition which I would guess will either be the Champions Trophy or the next 50 overs World Cup. Anyone here got any insider info?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen two episodes and it has been very, very good. The opening titles are better than the official ones, I like Manish Bhasin as host and there is plenty of each game shown. A job well done by the BBC. Bid for test highlights!
  • Options
    The WandererThe Wanderer Posts: 5,238
    Forum Member
    tvphil wrote: »
    Hopefully this won't be the only cricket on the BBC for the next couple of years. Roumer has it that the contract for the World Twenty20 highlights also included one other competition which I would guess will either be the Champions Trophy or the next 50 overs World Cup. Anyone here got any insider info?

I'm not sure, but I imagine there would be highlights for the 2011 World Cup simply because highlights of UK teams/semis/final have to be FTA if possible
  • Options
    BucksmanBucksman Posts: 1,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure, but I imagine there would be highlights for the 2011 World Cup simply because highlights of UK teams/semis/final have to be FTA if possible

Well there is another world T20 in the West Indies next year, so it could be that, or possibly the Champions Trophy in the autumn, I think in South Africa, so it could be that
  • Options
    madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manish appears to be unpopular with the folk at the Wisden Cricketer: http://wisdencricketer.com/blogs/blog/2009/06/11/alan-tyers-manish-bhasin%E2%80%99s-twenty20-twitter/. Whilst normally liking Alan Tyers' work, I think that this is rather unfair, and just because Bhasin doesn't normally present cricket, it doesn't mean that he knows nothing about it as this article implies. That's not to say, though, that he doesn't hold the necessary gravitas, such as Mark Nicholas who is perfect for a big game. Good coverage from the BBC, though.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying the BBC highlights, and I'm pleased with the timeslot. I'm not a fan of early evening highlights, but C5 are hamstrung by the ECB's insistence they can only be shown at that time of night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Manish appears to be unpopular with the folk at the Wisden Cricketer: http://wisdencricketer.com/blogs/blog/2009/06/11/alan-tyers-manish-bhasin%E2%80%99s-twenty20-twitter/. Whilst normally liking Alan Tyers' work, I think that this is rather unfair, and just because Bhasin doesn't normally present cricket, it doesn't mean that he knows nothing about it as this article implies. That's not to say, though, that he doesn't hold the necessary gravitas, such as Mark Nicholas who is perfect for a big game. Good coverage from the BBC, though.

I'd describe Bhasin as a safe pair of hands, good presenter, but I think Nicholas is a million miles better, and he's probably behind Gower too. One disadvantage for Bhasin though - he's not presented as much cricket as the others. He's better than Rishi Persad though
  • Options
    atkinsatkins Posts: 1,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying the BBC highlights, and I'm pleased with the timeslot. I'm not a fan of early evening highlights, but C5 are hamstrung by the ECB's insistence they can only be shown at that time of night.

What a strange post, how can tucked away late at night be better than prime time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Mark Nicholas would be a better proposition for the BBC then Manish, he should be more used for Football.

I think the BBC made a huge mistake not to borrow Geoffrey, Hughes or Nicholas for analysis of the games then Manish and Aggers which limits on how much can be said or analysed.

The late night highlights are annoying.
    I like the slot that Channel 5 has for the Test and Day ODI's.
    It allows you to open your evening up rather then squeezing it at 11:25 because of Nightsnight...why can't the BBC put Cricket on after 10:35pm from the News...nothing good on after 10:35pm on the BBC Monday to Friday anyway!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    WebbyFoxes wrote: »
    I think Mark Nicholas would be a better proposition for the BBC then Manish, he should be more used for Football.

I think the BBC made a huge mistake not to borrow Geoffrey, Hughes or Nicholas for analysis of the games then Manish and Aggers which limits on how much can be said or analysed.

My guess is that the BBC want one of their regular faces to present their coverage. I think Boycott should have been used for the analysis though, he does some summarising for TMS so he's a BBC "voice".
    It allows you to open your evening up rather then squeezing it at 11:25 because of Nightsnight...why can't the BBC put Cricket on after 10:35pm from the News...nothing good on after 10:35pm on the BBC Monday to Friday anyway!

I agree that Channel 5 have done the right thing with timing of highlights, it's a good slot and a good programme. I just wish their day/nighter highlights would be a touch earlier, around 11pm/11.30.

Also agree with your BBC One at 10.35 highlights theory
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,477
    Forum Member

I guess they'd be reluctant to disturb Question Time on Thursdays and Jonathan Ross on Fridays.

The BBC always seem to have the same problems scheduling sports highlights. Unless they go for 9pm, which would involve shifting all of their primetime shows, then they're stuck with the late night time they've had to go for in this instance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    setanta sports news have been showing highlights of the scotland new zealand game. are they allowed? if not, they could get their knuckles rapped..

Sky Sports News has shown Aegon tennis highlights though BBC and Eurosport seem to have the rights.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    atkins wrote: »
    What a strange post, how can tucked away late at night be better than prime time.
    Nothing strange about it, at all, thank you.

Cricket highlights slip under the radar at 7.15pm: too many potential viewers are busy or watching soaps on other channels at that time.

Worth remembering/realising the highlights don't go out at 7.15pm because it's considered best for the viewers. They go out at 7.15pm, in order for Sky Sports to have no competition for their Test highlights, starting anytime from 8pm onwards.

Sky don't want to show their home Test highlights at 7.15pm, if they can help it, because they know it's a crap slot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sky don't want to show their home Test highlights at 7.15pm, if they can help it, because they know it's a crap slot.

In Sky's case, it's probably a bit silly of them to have their highlights show start 15 minutes after their live coverage goes off the air. It's probably a bit more sensible to have it a little later
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it has been an excellent competition. Shame the England men's team couldn't match what the Women achieved though!

It has been really good having some cricket back on the BBC and the highlights programmes have been very well put together (I've been enjoying Empire of Cricket too).

Lets hope this isn't it for cricket on BBC tv for the next few years, and they are able to follow it up with highlights of the ICC Champions Trophy later this year, next years World Twenty20 (why is it on again next year???) and the 50 Overs World Cup, plus perhaps even the away Test matches???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tvphil wrote: »
    next years World Twenty20 (why is it on again next year???)
    Because it will even it out to a biannual tournament. The 50 over WC is in 2011, so the T20 couldn't have been then. Having another T20 next year allows the 50 over WC to be in 2011, the next T20 in 2012, etc.
  • Options
    atkinsatkins Posts: 1,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lpayne7 wrote: »
    Because it will even it out to a biannual tournament. The 50 over WC is in 2011, so the T20 couldn't have been then. Having another T20 next year allows the 50 over WC to be in 2011, the next T20 in 2012, etc.

So why did they have the first one in 2007 instead of 2008.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    atkins wrote: »
    So why did they have the first one in 2007 instead of 2008.

Knowing what the cricket authorities are like sometimes they thought "let's have it every two years" back in 2007, then it took them two years to realise that it would clash with the proper World Cup:D

EDIT - I've found the proper reason
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/7677555.stm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange that the BBC haven't had TV highlights of the World Twenty20 this time after showing them in previous years.

I think the competition has been less high profile this time due to its lack of terrestrial TV coverage.

I have been enjoying watching it on Sky Sports, but it is disappointing that non Sky Sports subscribers have not been able to see it this time – particularly with England having done so well.

England reaching the final of a world event in one of our national sports should get proper exposure on terrestrial TV in my opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the BBC will screen highlights because of Englands progression.., if they can do a deal with Sky.