Options

Garden lights

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 722
Forum Member
✭✭
I’m hoping someone may be able to help me.

I’m after a light for the garden, one which gives off sufficient light to show features – I have 4 solar lights but the quality of light is poor, I’m after one which gives about the same amount of light as a normal lightbulb, but which also comes on automatically when it gets dark, and turns off at, say, 10:30 at night.

I know you can get solar lights, and ones with “extra bright LED’s” but I am guessing we’d need a light with about a million LEDs for the brightness I want, however I know solar lights would be ideal as they mean no wiring, but I am beginning to feel that the only way forward may be to get a light which plugs into the mains, which may be a pain getting a cable from/to but I think it’ll be worth it.

So, does anyone know of such a light(s) that can do the following..?

Enough bright light to display features in a garden (solar if possible, but I doubt it)
Comes on automatically at dusk and switches off at a certain time that I set
Can be switched off manually if need be

Ideaqlly I’d like one of those post lights, but the only ones I’ve seen are manually operated but I’d like one that comes in where I don’t need to think about turning on/off.

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Solar lights become of little use in winter time, as there simply isn't enough sunlight to recharge the batteries.

It is possible to insert a PIR (for daylight / darkness sensing) into a circuit that will switch lights on and off. You can buy these units from Screwfix etc, and best place to mount them is on a wall somewhere near your power transformer. Mine is above my garage rear door about 6 feet away from my consumer unit and the 24v transformer for the outside lights (Made by Hozelock) You are best using low powered lights - 24v - which you can install yourself.

Mains powered lights require special cabling, RCDs, and must be installed by a competent electrician.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll need a dusk sensor and a timer controlled switch wired in series with your lights. You're not likely to find anything off the shelf so I'd suggest identifying the lights you want first then speak to an electrician about the rest of the circuitry required.

I actually have a reverse setup for my garden water feature. The timer operates the fountain from 8.00am to 10.30pm whilst the dusk sensor switches it off if its too dark during these hours.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I’m hoping someone may be able to help me.

I’m after a light for the garden, one which gives off sufficient light to show features – I have 4 solar lights but the quality of light is poor, I’m after one which gives about the same amount of light as a normal lightbulb, but which also comes on automatically when it gets dark, and turns off at, say, 10:30 at night.

I know you can get solar lights, and ones with “extra bright LED’s” but I am guessing we’d need a light with about a million LEDs for the brightness I want, however I know solar lights would be ideal as they mean no wiring, but I am beginning to feel that the only way forward may be to get a light which plugs into the mains, which may be a pain getting a cable from/to but I think it’ll be worth it.

So, does anyone know of such a light(s) that can do the following..?

Enough bright light to display features in a garden (solar if possible, but I doubt it)
    Comes on automatically at dusk and switches off at a certain time that I set
    Can be switched off manually if need be

Ideaqlly I’d like one of those post lights, but the only ones I’ve seen are manually operated but I’d like one that comes in where I don’t need to think about turning on/off.

Cheers in advance!

Another thread on here about Select a Light from B&Q. 12v system that seems easy to install and just connect transformer to a standard timer. You can easily adjust the timer.