Options

DS Fantasy Eurovision 65: When in Rome...

Comments

• Options
    avbavb Posts: 9,612
    Forum Member
    Alexos wrote: »
    21 players and 12 bonus round countries confirmed! Here's a taste of what's to come this contest:

1. NORTH AFRICA Paper Light - Loreen
    2. SLOVENIA Believe - Tide
    3. LEBANON I Think I'm in Love - Kat Dahlia

Tide! :) Adieu was amazing, seems so long ago now.

I don't know what to make of Loreen at the moment, her performances this year have been so far out there that they had to send out a search party.
  • Options
    rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very happy with both of my entries, and it took much less time to find them than I had thought (already sent them in last night) :) Of course, it remains to be seen whether others appreciate them, too :D
  • Options
    AlexosAlexos Posts: 17,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going to update this list with new songs in bold, saves people having to trawl through the thread:

4. LATVIA Jane Band - Viktoria Modesta
    5. HUNGARY Egyedul - Honeybeast

Also I've asked the North Africa player if they want to change video and they said no.
  • Options
    TerryPTerryP Posts: 11,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have updated the Champion of Champions 2015 page on the wikia and here it is:

http://dsfe.wikia.com/wiki/Champion_of_Champions_2015

Songs that appear in gold have automatically qualified thanks to winning a round (or finished 2nd in the final, as they too cannot be pushed out the top 4 of a country).

When a country has reached the threshold for qualifying for CofC it's top 4 entries will appear in green (unless those entries are auto qualifiers, they will stay in gold)

From that the following countries have booked their place in CofC this year so far

Aland Islands
    Armenia
    Belarus
    Croatia
    England
    Faroe Isands
    Finland
    France
    Germany
    Gotland
    Hungary
    Isle of Man
    Italy
    Lithuania
    Luxembourg
    Macedonia
    Malta
    Netherlands
    Norway
    Poland
    Portugal
    San Marino
    Scotland
    Svalbard
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Turkey
    Ukraine
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Players so far:

Alexos
    alwaysanigel247
    andrewdk
    avb
    Carlisle156
    ChrisROE Hughes
    EuroFoxi
    jackel1234
    jag02010
    JordanC55
    kvn
    March Mornings
    mikabv
    MissMidgard
    phill363
    poshbloke
    rosetta12
    Shar_ds
    stanld03
    TerryP
    Violetta Grange
    Yugimuto1

Remember the contest doesn't begin properly until after actual Eurovision has finished for those with time management concerns :3
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexos, did you get my entries yesterday...? As you haven't replied; or is it just not the custom to confirm when entries are sent in this contest? ;) (Don't know as I'm new to this!)
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some hosts reply some don't, I'm just going assume my entries are confirmed unless i hear otherwise
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes sorry, unless I've PM'd you back about eligibility etc., all entries so far have been confirmed.

140. IRELAND
    Good Intentions - Bressie
    Carlisle156 (Amsterdam - 7th)

I have no memory of this song until just now, but slightly side-eyeing my Amsterdam-year-old self since I don't think I'd rate this as highly now. The beginning is nice but it's lacking a ~moment~ which it would need to retain my interest all these years later.

139. ITALY
    Due Come Tutti - Greta
    stanld03 (St Helier 2 - 15th)

How many times have you seen this music video with a dark background and some subtle lighting and smoke? Greta displays here the archetype of a good but not great Italian entry as the song relies on her vocal without doing anything spectacular. I do (or did) have a weakness for that occasionally so I can see why I gave it 8 at the time.

138. ITALY
    Benevento - Laura Pausini
    kvn (Riga - 12th)

This is the first of my 12s to be shockingly axed early in the list. However Benevento is kind of suffering from the same flaws as Due Come Tutti albeit with a stronger opening. Please forgive me Laura Pausini for this act of betrayal. She does have better though (like Troppo Tempo ^_^ )

137. ISRAEL
    If I Could Change Your Mind - HAIM
    dylanpartyon (London - 4th)

I remember loving this a year ago but I listened to it way too much and now it's a shell of its former self in my mind. Over-listening is a sin, it should be known. At the time I thought Haim might actually win (though clearly not understanding Oonagh's status as supreme overlord) but I suspect they will be seen again one day for Israel.

136. CHANNEL ISLANDS
    Earthquake - Little Boots
    benana93 (Beirut - 16th)

Make that three 12s cut in a row!!! This is nostalgia central and I used to listen to it on the way to 9am lectures <3 But it does feel dated now, let's not lie, and tbh I probably wouldn't ever listen to it again except for an occasional "Oh Little Boots :)))" moment which I don't really require that often.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexos wrote: »
    Yes sorry, unless I've PM'd you back about eligibility etc., all entries so far have been confirmed.
    phill363 wrote: »
    Some hosts reply some don't, I'm just going assume my entries are confirmed unless i hear otherwise
    Ok, thanks; it's just that in the ESC related contests (only taken part in those until now) the host always confirms, so was wondering if my message got lost in cyberspace. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    25!

Alexos
    aliyah101
    alwaysanigel247
    andrewdk
    avb
    BethnalGreen
    Carlisle156
    ChrisROE Hughes
    EuroFoxi
    Fudd
    jackel1234
    jag02010
    JordanC55
    kvn
    March Mornings
    mikabv
    MissMidgard
    phill363
    poshbloke
    rosetta12
    Shar_ds
    stanld03
    TerryP
    Violetta Grange
    Yugimuto1

And updated song list:

4. LATVIA Jane Bond - Viktoria Modesta
    5. HUNGARY Egyedul - Honeybeast
    6. UKRAINE Ships - Ani Lorak
    7. ANDORRA El Muerto Vivo - Peret

A reminder that sign-ups are open until Tuesday 12th @ 7pm and you'll get your two European countries as soon as you do ^_^
  • Options
    TerryPTerryP Posts: 11,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    North Africa – I know she is allowed, but it always bugs me slightly when the North African or Western Asian countries become baby Sweden. As for this it’s really not for me, I can’t help but feel that Loreen tries to be kooky or out there just for the sake of it, a bit like Lady Gaga I suppose. The song is rather minimal and club/dance music has never been my thing, so I am not really a fan.

Slovenia – This has got a bit of an old-school American rock vibe to it and I quite like this song. Not your usual Slovenian entry and it’s certainly a step up from what we normally get from them. It’s maybe missing something for me to make it fully stand out from the crowd. It doesn't quite develop as it goes along but rather stays on the same level, but all in all it is a good entry I feel.

Lebanon – Well if they are not Swedish they tend to be American, but as I said they are allowed so it’s all fine. I am kind of in two minds on this song, the singing parts are quite good, if maybe a little bit repetitive, the spoken rap parts are nice in parts but very easily bug when they end up going on for too long. Once it gets to the voting this could go either way for me.

Latvia – This is actually my kind of quirky, better than the sing like a little girl quirky which pollutes this contest from time to time. You get the feeling that the singer here is probably as crazy as a box of frogs and I like that. The song does lose its way a little bit towards the end, but it is an enjoyable piece of music.

Hungary – I slowly got more into this one as it went along, the verses are pretty but I did feel that the chorus held it back slightly as it never really went anywhere from the verses. I also felt that the last minute was not needed or at the very least took the song slightly in the wrong direction. Which is strange because it did spice the chorus up a bit, I suppose it just wasn't in the way I wanted it to.

Ukraine – You can never go wrong with a bit of Ani in my opinion and of course the song of hers I sent at the start of the year was totally underrated in my own opinion. This is good, maybe not as good as that song and probably not her best ballad, but it has all the ingredients there and I did enjoy it very much

Andorra – I feel like I am in a Nando’s. This was something a bit different and not necessarily in a good way, I am all for something a bit different and I have heard songs in this style which I have quite liked, but this one just drags and goes on for far too long. Actually thinking about it, I am sure I have actually heard this in a Nando’s, of course it may be that a lot of these songs sound the same anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    135. SVALBARD
    Crazy Something Normal - Donkeyboy
    Stu93 (Tirana - 14th)

When this was new I was like yass new Donkeyboy, but then after this contest I forgot about it until now. Listening back it's nowhere near as good as their winner.

134. FRANCE
    La Fille Du Lido - Inna Modja
    Carlisle156 (Barcelona - 4th)

133. GERMANY
    Es Geht Bis zu den Wolken - Luna Simao
    Carlisle156 (Munich - 7th)

Ranking these together as I only just realised how similar they are! Carlisle obviously had a thing for a bit of soul pop back in the day and so, it appears, did I, but now they'd be more easy listening than huge point grabbers.

132. GREENLAND
    I Won't Be Crying - Infernal
    DamienS (Helsinki - 2nd)

This is still a bit of a tune <3 I'd probably be well up for dancing to this in a certain type of club, but it's no From Paris to Berlin, the true anthem of the 00s.

131. MALTA
    Magnetic - Fenech-Soler
    Gwen 404 (Sochi - 8th)

Fenech-Soler bias probably contributed to my original 12 for this, but since then I've cooled the flames. Will we see them again from Malta? Probably but they are submerged in the indie rock pool of my affections, unlikely to reemerge as a frontrunner.
  • Options
    mikabvmikabv Posts: 4,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love in a Trashcan's an old song... Wonder why it was chosen, it's not even that good. I'm pretty sure it went quite big in the UK though, I think it was in the top 40, but I might be mistaken
  • Options
    yoshi94yoshi94 Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    Have I really only got 1 top 3 from you Alex :'( Better make up for that with my countries :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikabv wrote: »
    Love in a Trashcan's an old song... Wonder why it was chosen, it's not even that good. I'm pretty sure it went quite big in the UK though, I think it was in the top 40, but I might be mistaken
    Released in 2005, so not that "old"... And I like it, in fact imo it's better than any of the others revealed so far, but each to their own. (And surely the owner had been noted about eligibility, had it been in UK top 40.)
  • Options
    ChickenFromKievChickenFromKiev Posts: 7,427
    Forum Member
    Can I sign up? Been following these for quite some time but never really thought I could do it. :blush:
  • Options
    Carlisle156Carlisle156 Posts: 23,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuck at the Raveonettes.

and ChickenFromKiev (are you actually from Kiev? :D) just sent Alexos a sign-up message; instructions are on the first post :)
  • Options
    ChickenFromKievChickenFromKiev Posts: 7,427
    Forum Member
    and ChickenFromKiev (are you actually from Kiev? :D) just sent Alexos a sign-up message; instructions are on the first post :)

Thanks. :)

And I have family from Kiev. :p
  • Options
    mikabvmikabv Posts: 4,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosetta12 wrote: »
    Released in 2005, so not that "old"... And I like it, in fact imo it's better than any of the others revealed so far, but each to their own. (And surely the owner had been noted about eligibility, had it been in UK top 40.)

It's good enough and stuff, just a bit surprising considering Denmark's great music scene.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    130. SPAIN
    Burn - Ruth Lorenzo
    basdfg (Runavik - 8th)

I used to be such a Ruth fanatic! Those days have faded though and even though this is her only appearance in this ranking, she's done better since :x

129. SCOTLAND
    Gun - CHVRCHES
    robotpuppy (Reykjavik - 10th)

Here we have another band whose sound initially is like omg and then becomes very similar after you listen to an entire album. But CHVRCHES' work in this ranking is not over!

128. LATVIA
    It's Over - Jasie Kruz
    Pooley (Trondheim - 8th)

I wanted to send this! Pooley got there first though and I'm not one of those to punish another player for this type of crime. The chorus really carries this; is she ever going to release another song?

127. POLAND
    Poplyniemy Daleko - Alexandra
    Fudd (Copenhagen - 13th)

How many female Eastern European singers have you seen rolling around on a bed in the wind? More than your fair share, I would imagine.

126. NETHERLANDS
    Little By Little - Lisa Lois
    Pooley (Aberystwyth - 1st)

In retrospect Aberystwyth is probs one of my least fav quality finals despite me giving this 10 at the time. Her other song is tonnes better even though it ironically doesn't show up here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    29 players!

Alexos
    aliyah101
    alwaysanigel247
    andrewdk
    avb
    AxG
    BethnalGreen
    Carlisle156
    ChickenFromKiev
    ChrisROE Hughes
    dylanpartyon
    EuroFoxi
    Fudd
    jackel1234
    jag02010
    JordanC55
    kvn
    March Mornings
    mikabv
    MissMidgard
    phill363
    poshbloke
    rosetta12
    Shar_ds
    stanld03
    TerryP
    Violetta Grange
    yoshi94
    Yugimuto1

Would be cool to get at least 5 more players.
  • Options
    AxGAxG Posts: 25,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to thank DSFE for the 3,300 sent and inboxed messages that I have archived.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikabv wrote: »
    It's good enough and stuff, just a bit surprising considering Denmark's great music scene.
    :confused: And that's one of its greatest representatives... Why single out something you personally just don't happen to like? What an earth is the point?? Your comment was quite rude, stupid and unnecessary.
    Yuck at the Raveonettes.
    **ck at you, too...

Due to your comments I've decided to withdraw from taking part in this, for the 1st time ever; is that a to treat a newbie here?!? :( i was really looking forward to this, but anyway, you've ruined it for me now.