Jake Wood leaving EastEnders?

Comments

• curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »
    has anyone considered they may have all been asked to remove reference to eastenders from their bio's?

Its just that if not mentioning EE in your bio means your leaving then its Jake, shona, danny dyer, maddie hill, shane richie, dam woodyatt, laurie brett, natalie cassidy

Pretty big clear out.!

Good point :)
  • bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope he stays.
  • londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    has anyone considered they may have all been asked to remove reference to eastenders from their bio's?

Its just that if not mentioning EE in your bio means your leaving then its Jake, shona, danny dyer, maddie hill, shane richie, dam woodyatt, laurie brett, natalie cassidy

Pretty big clear out.!

Add Himesh Patel and Rakhee Thakrar to your list. Lol.

I agree with second paragraph. However, a few of the cast mention Eastenders in their bios.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really hope he stays too. Maybe he'll just take a break?
  • Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lou_123 wrote: »
    Well I think that if there's going to be a clear out, then Les, Pam & Lee should go before anyone!

I disagree. Because they are new and underdeveloped should not been they should be easy axe targets. I hope les leaves ASAP though as I find him boring and not keen on the actor.

Max needs a break tbh but he is the only perfect strong long standing full
    Time male. Patrick is semi because of his age and the rest are too young to be such or are awful or pointless.
  • willowswillows Posts: 6,169
    Forum Member
    To be honest I wouldn't be surprised, the Character is a bit of a spare part just now. Living alone, businesses gone. Family not that interested Jake is a great actor though so it would be a big loss to the show. Time will tell I suppose, he could just take a break
  • Chris197800Chris197800 Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Brannings were at one time the dominant family in Eastenders, now it's just Max and Carol, the last few years has seen several high profile Branning exits most notably Derek(who I was gutted about, great character who's stint was waaaaay too short), Jack and Joey. Without all of them and others Max has been a bit lost but I don't see him leaving unless he has some other big offers of TV work. I think Max is a decent character, kind of a modern day Dirty Den.

What's the talk of Tanya coming back? Has Jo Joyner agreed to return? Seemed she was doing alright away from Eastenders.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    The Coker son is coming in so Pam and Les are going no where.

Les might leave.
  • shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt he's leaving but they have basically covered every conceivable storyline with Max so it wouldn't be a massive shock if he left.

With Max we've had marriage, adultery, divorce, affairs, attempted murder, death of a child, child with alcoholism, suspect in a murder trial, dead girlfriend, crazy girlfriend, money problems, business problems, feud with Phil, feud with family, fathers death, sister with cancer, wife with cancer, Max as a conman, max as the doting hubby, daughter trying to kill him, mother in law from hell, brother trying to usurp him etc etc

There's really no scope for much else for him so I think a break would do the character good.
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I hope he doesn't go. Jake Wood is their finest actor imo. Shame his character is largely wasted on repetitive material but he's one of those who can make a lot of tiresome stuff watchable just by his sheer screen presence. Max has a lot more to offer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    funkycub wrote: »
    Wasn't he in Red Dwarf? Wouldn't he want to be involved with the new series?

Maybe that's why?

I'd very much welcome a Kill Crazy return to Red Dwarf :D
  • KeibroKeibro Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see Max leaving, but a bit like Shane and Jessie might take a bit of a break. He has been full on for 9 years and the character could possibly due with a rest. I can also see Lindsay Coulson exiting in the summer aswell, with Whitney and Sonia becoming part of the Carters.

I can see the Mitchells and Beales being the front and centre of EastEnders as we come into the summer and certainly by autumn with Kathy's Return, which I bet will also incorporate Sharon's father coming to the Square.

I imagine big reprecussions to come when Ronnie is released from hospital and further down the line exacts some sort of revenge on Charlie for cheating on her with Roxy. She has killed before and also her history with Vincent is bound to be interesting.

A big storyline for Stacey Branning is also due to kick off, with the return of Jean Slater for a guest stint. I could possibly see a full time return for Jean at some point.

The Carters will continue to be play a big role, as they DTC's star family. The Dean/Linda story is to be concluded and the arrival of the new baby.

The rest will be padded out by the newer characters such as the Cokers, Donna, Vincent and Claudette as a new family, Claudette and Les Coker's secret affair, Paul Coker's arrival to Walford.

I can see this Christmas being a Mitchell Christmas, which would be fab as we haven't had one for a while, not since Who Killed Archie?

It's definitely all about to change again on the Square.
  • Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Max is long serving really hope Jake Stays
  • Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No he cant leave. But I dont blame him DTC has ruined his character by constantely getting off with women
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised I think there is a lot of uncertainty at the moment who is leaving and who staying.
  • dale0693dale0693 Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Max leaves then I wouldn't be surprised if Jo Joyner makes a permanent return to EastEnders by 2016
  • Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope we get this sorted
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed it's not permanent.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dale0693 wrote: »
    If Max leaves then I wouldn't be surprised if Jo Joyner makes a permanent return to EastEnders by 2016

Jo may return with Ann Mitchell in the summer.
  • wizardtwizardt Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Jo may return with Ann Mitchell in the summer.
    Not this year. Maybe in the next few years later.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he said he wanted to stay for another ten years....
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst I respect the positive views regarding Jake Wood, Max has to leave IMO. What else is there left for him to do? Shag more women? Have more affairs? As a viewer, it's not fun to watch the same repetitive stories. He's an extremely limited character. I believe Max has reached his expiry date. Not convinced by Jake Wood's mumbling cockney performances either despite having great respect for the actor.

And Max is most definitely not "iconic" or a "legend" IMO :o. Let's get things into perspective here: He had one good affair storyline and has done nothing significant since, because the writers won't let him grow as a character and branch him out into different storylines. Sure, he featured in a few high profile storylines after Stax, but none reached the same heights. All of his storylines revolve around women and infidelity, which leads to his family members lashing out at him and then forgiving him after a few weeks - which has been repeating itself in a loop for years. Max being buried alive by Tanya and run over by Lauren did make for amusing viewing though :D. He's not featured in enough great storylines to be considered anything more than a "long serving character". Being long serving doesn't automatically make a character a legend IMO.

I wouldn't say axing Jake Wood/Max Branning is like the equivalent of axing Steve McFadden by any stretch of the imagination either. Phil/Steve is a true legend, who's been part of numerous great storylines and is part of the furniture now after 20 years or so on the soap. Characters like Max come and go, they have a shelf life; I've always looked at him as a poor man's David Wicks (not a bad thing).
  • wizardtwizardt Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cybersq wrote: »
    he said he wanted to stay for another ten years....
    Apparently it was the producers who wanted him to stay for another 10 years.. He never said that in his own words. He did say he wants to stay for a few more years but that article was published in 2013. Things can change a lot 2 years later. I hope he isn't leaving anyway.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a499523/eastenders-producers-want-jake-wood-for-another-ten-years.html
  • gerry23gerry23 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    I doubt he's leaving but they have basically covered every conceivable storyline with Max so it wouldn't be a massive shock if he left.

With Max we've had marriage, adultery, divorce, affairs, attempted murder, death of a child, child with alcoholism, suspect in a murder trial, dead girlfriend, crazy girlfriend, money problems, business problems, feud with Phil, feud with family, fathers death, sister with cancer, wife with cancer, Max as a conman, max as the doting hubby, daughter trying to kill him, mother in law from hell, brother trying to usurp him etc etc

There's really no scope for much else for him so I think a break would do the character good.

Lol. Pretty damn boring life eh? You'd think they'd inject a bit of drama into the Brannings wouldn't you? :D:D
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member

Pretty big clear out.!

I think people believe that some people are leaving because Shona McGarty and Declan Bennett f/ example removed EE and replaced it with their agent's details, which could hint that they're looking for work elsewhere.