Options

have you ever been called a snob ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
Forum Member
✭✭
I have been,at work - but that seemed to be based on not shopping at Tesco and disliking Costa Coffee.

Comments

• Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    No...
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not. I'm scum....
  • Options
    SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    All the time, it must be true.
  • Options
    rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have, It's because I don't like buying tat from pound shops
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rjb101 wrote: »
    I have, It's because I don't like buying tat from pound shops

Tsk such a snob.

:D
  • Options
    OdonataOdonata Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have, once. Because I apparently turned my nose up at a holiday in Portugal. My not wanting to go out and get arseholed every single night was nothing to do with my introversion and having a 2 year old, just that I thought I was 'too good' to be in Portugal.
  • Options
    Ba Na NaBa Na Na Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have. I said I wouldn't buy a treadmill from eBay.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No - I am the lowest form of scum on earth.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    I was called something that rhymes with it once, and looking back, probably deservedly so.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few times. Usually down to one of these two reasons.

1) confusion over the difference between taste and belief.

I don't like Adam Sandler films, but it doesn't mean I believe you're an idiot for loving his films, so no need to get self-defensive and call me a snob.

2) the fact I went to boarding schools.

I was a boarder for practical reasons, so you shouldn't make erroneous assumptions about me and my family. You shouldn't call me names, either.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, in jest (I think!). And I have been called Mrs Bucket from time to time lol :D
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Posh yes a snob no.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Yes, in jest (I think!). And I have been called Mrs Bucket from time to time lol :D

"The XYZ residence the Lady of the house speaking"
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been called a Musical Snob. After I said todays chart music is rubbish.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes frequently...for passing my 11 plus exam (!), working rather than staying at home all day, opting to buy home rather than go down the council house route etc etc etc.
  • Options
    Phil_SheridanPhil_Sheridan Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    I wasn't called an actual snob, but I know that they were all dancing around it.
    My wife's brother, his wife, their adult children, and their children all wanted to spend a weekend near Whitstable, and had rented a couple of 3 berth static caravans at a Holiday Park.
    They urged us to come too, extolling the club house there, with bingo, reasonably cheap booze and end of the pier entertainment..
    There was no way in a million years that I was going to suffer that, but I knew my wife really wanted to spend time with her brother and his family
    So we checked into a decent hotel but went to the Holiday Park for a couple of drinks every night with the family, but got a taxi back around 11.00 p.m. to the hotel.
    One night my wife stayed in one of the caravans with her niece and her niece's husband as she was enjoying it so much, but that kind of holiday has never been my style, so I went to the hotel alone that night.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    A few times. Usually down to one of these two reasons.

1) confusion over the difference between taste and belief.

I don't like Adam Sandler films, but it doesn't mean I believe you're an idiot for loving his films, so no need to get self-defensive and call me a snob.

2) the fact I went to boarding schools.

I was a boarder for practical reasons, so you shouldn't make erroneous assumptions about me and my family. You shouldn't call me names, either.
    My older brother went to boarding school for practical reasons too, he knows your pain :D
  • Options
    creasecrease Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    I wasn't called an actual snob, but I know that they were all dancing around it.
    My wife's brother, his wife, their adult children, and their children all wanted to spend a weekend near Whitstable, and had rented a couple of 3 berth static caravans at a Holiday Park.
    They urged us to come too, extolling the club house there, with bingo, reasonably cheap booze and end of the pier entertainment..
    There was no way in a million years that I was going to suffer that, but I knew my wife really wanted to spend time with her brother and his family
    So we checked into a decent hotel but went to the Holiday Park for a couple of drinks every night with the family, but got a taxi back around 11.00 p.m. to the hotel.
    One night my wife stayed in one of the caravans with her niece and her niece's husband as she was enjoying it so much, but that kind of holiday has never been my style, so I went to the hotel alone that night.

Yeah, that seems pretty snobby,
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather be a snob than the low-life scum who would actually enjoy that sort of horrible caravan holiday.

Besides, I've never been called a snob, but that's because I never invite the opinions of the lower classes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Been called a Musical Snob. After I said todays chart music is rubbish.

Mostly agree with you on that point.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Posh yes a snob no.

Same here.
    I would be horrified if people thought I was snobby.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was brought up in a council house but my mum and dad always scrimped to make sure I was dressed well and got the best that they could manage. They also made sure I spoke "properly" and had good manners so, add that to my natural shyness and a lot of people over the years have called me stuck up and a snob. I'm actually not as people discover once they take the time to get to know me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Regularly, but that's probably because I am high class.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regularly, but that's probably because I am high class.

A high class Mallard :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was brought up in a council house but my mum and dad always scrimped to make sure I was dressed well and got the best that they could manage. They also made sure I spoke "properly" and had good manners so, add that to my natural shyness and a lot of people over the years have called me stuck up and a snob. I'm actually not as people discover once they take the time to get to know me.

Similar upbringing. I wasn't allowed to play on the street either based on the fact we had really big gardens and an area of parkland at the end of the road. Going to grammar school didn't help either. I think the shyness is the one that people most often mistake for being reserved and/or superior though.