• Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's asking a specific question, I want to know some general information
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try Wikipedia

But yes it was good although might look a little dated now.

Quite hard to watch at times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »
    Try Wikipedia

But yes it was good although might look a little dated now.

Quite hard to watch at times.

Thanks, I was just wondering what people who had watched it thought :)
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good writing & acting. The storylines are quite bleak (naturally). It’s quite graphic in respect to sex and violence (and you have to remember it’s an all male prison). One of my favourite drama series of all time.

The seasons are quite short (8 episodes per season bar season four which was twice the length) and you’ll (assuming you like it) find yourself flying through an entire season on a weekend and getting nowt else done.

I re-watched the whole thing a few years back and when I did it pretty much monopolised my viewing. It is quite old, so may be recorded in 4:3 rather than 16:9 (can’t quite remember).
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely worth watching the first season to see what you think.

It's not really like anything else I've seen before or since. Although it can be pretty brutal and graphic at times, it is presented more like a play than a super realistic drama such as The Wire, or The Sopranos. For that reason, it gets away with some of the plot lines seeming a little more contrived than they might do in other shows.

Anyway, I loved it. Hope you do too.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »
    it is presented more like a play than a super realistic drama such as The Wire...

That's a very good point, especially the use of a narrator
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does anyone know where you can buy dvds of this? i've looked on amazon and they only have couple of seasons available for region 2 (UK)
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    fredcat wrote: »
    does anyone know where you can buy dvds of this? i've looked on amazon and they only have couple of seasons available for region 2 (UK)

Amazon UK have the box set and single volumes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for info :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon UK have the box set and single volumes.

yeah i already have series 1 so wasn't really wanting to have to buy the entire box set. I've managed to find a region 2 copy of series 2 and will keep looking around for the rest of them :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've now got the entire box set. I've watched 2 episodes so far and I really like it.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember watching Oz first time round on telly............can't remember which channel

At the time it was probably groundbreaking hard-hitting drama with lots of violence and racism

Sometimes you felt like watching through your fingers.........:eek:

Rather strangely a black British actor who played the gay 'home help' in Alf Garnett's house turns up as a gang leader of the Black Muslims...............:eek:
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah this is one of those shows I must check out at some point
    I like Christopher Meloni, who is in this show so that is another reason why i wanna check it out
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah this is one of those shows I must check out at some point
    I like Christopher Meloni, who is in this show so that is another reason why i wanna check it out

Also Dean Winters who played Cassidy in Season 1 of SVU is in it - he's so so different in Oz! Obviously I know it's acting but I was quite shocked at how different he is in it.
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Also Dean Winters who played Cassidy in Season 1 of SVU is in it - he's so so different in Oz! Obviously I know it's acting but I was quite shocked at how different he is in it.

Again i know their actors, but JK Simmons is poles apart from this and as the dad in Juno!!
  • peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    It used to be on Channel 4, I came across it by accident one night and was instantly hooked. Very graphic sex and violence. Eamonn Walker was the black Muslim.

Watch out for a discussion on gay teletubbies, and ground glass condiments, yikes.

The boxset was going for under £30 a while back, so keep an eye out. Definitely recommend.

Law & Order seems to be the natural resting place for ex Oz actors for some reason, and I have to say it was difficult to see JK Simmons who played Schillinger as anything other than a pervert.:D
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was there any male member of the cast of Oz who did not do a full frontal naked scene at some point? You needed a strong constitution to work on this show that's for sure. It was not for the bashful, either those on screen or those watching. All the more remarkable considering it was an American made show, where over there they tend to shy away from male nudity in film, especially the more graphic type as in Oz, and infact when I first saw it I thought it was Australian!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Was there any male member of the cast of Oz who did not do a full frontal naked scene at some point? You needed a strong constitution to work on this show that's for sure. It was not for the bashful, either those on screen or those watching. All the more remarkable considering it was an American made show, where over there they tend to shy away from male nudity in film, especially the more graphic type as in Oz, and infact when I first saw it I thought it was Australian!

It was made by HBO (one of their first original series iirc) and pretty much set the template for the channel's interesting approach to censorship - which is to disregard it completrely. As a subscription channel, they have no sponsors/advertisers to keep happy, other than those that have signed up knowing full well the style and content of HBO's shows. It's also unlikely that people will 'stumble across' their programs and be offended by the language/nudity/violence etc.
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to sometimes catch this on Channel 4 late at night when I lived in the UK. It's pretty good from what I remember. Gritty and graphic.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I watched episode 14, season 11 of SVU last night which has Christopher Meloni and Lee Tergesen in it and now I really need to watch Oz again, I've only seen a couple of series of it but I remember being very impressed.
  • Billy BunterBilly Bunter Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    I bought the boxset for this about 5-6 years ago after really enjoying the first 2 seasons of Prison Break. I only watched a couple of episodes before something distracted me (I think I bought the West Wing or The Shield) and I've never gone back to it. One day!
  • BonymoroniBonymoroni Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    I'm about half way through the box set. I used to watch it on CH4 but they would always piss about with it in the schedules so I missed big bits of story.
    Took me a long time to like Eames on L&O:CI and Stabler on SVU because of Oz (and some of the others on Dexter) because their Oz characters were so powerful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm loving this. I'm currently on episode 8 of Season 1. I love Beecher and O'Reily.

In just 8 episodes, I love how they have completed changed Beecher's character.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    Its one of the greatest tv shows of all time. It must be 15 years or so old now, but even now it seems very graphic in terms of nudity and violence - but never in a exploitative way.