What to wear to Harry Potter themed ball?

cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
Forum Member
OK, so I'm going to a Harry Potter themed ball on February 23rd and I don't know what to wear. I was thinking of wearing either a normal evening dress or a black dress and cloak, or should I wear a costume? As far as I know it's not fancy dress, but what do you guys think would be the best thing to wear? I'm going to try and get hold of the organisers over the next few days if I can.

Comments

• EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In book 4, the characters go to the Yule Ball and the ballgowns are described in detail. They're shown in the movie too, one of those might be suitable whilst still being recognisable.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Emmersonne wrote: »
    In book 4, the characters go to the Yule Ball and the ballgowns are described in detail. They're shown in the movie too, one of those might be suitable whilst still being recognisable.

I know you can buy Hermione's dress online, but its expensive and the official Warner Bros store doesn't deliver to Ireland. The dresses I have are purple and black. Did anyone at the Yule Ball wear a purple dress? I was thinking black because it's the most Hogwarts-like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know you can buy Hermione's dress online, but its expensive and the official Warner Bros store doesn't deliver to Ireland. The dresses I have are purple and black. Did anyone at the Yule Ball wear a purple dress? I was thinking black because it's the most Hogwarts-like.

I am sure someone would have, can you find the scenes on DVD/Youtube?
    Forum Member
    I am sure someone would have, can you find the scenes on DVD/Youtube?

I have the DVD of Goblet of Fire and I found the Yule Ball scene on Youtube the other day. I'll watch them again. The other thing I was thinking of is something similar to the dresses Hermione, Ginny and Luna (amongst others) wore at Slughorn's party in Half-Blood Prince and the dresses they wore to Bill's wedding in Deathly Hallows Part 1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the DVD of Goblet of Fire and I found the Yule Ball scene on Youtube the other day. I'll watch them again. The other thing I was thinking of is something similar to the dresses Hermione, Ginny and Luna (amongst others) wore at Slughorn's party in Half-Blood Prince and the dresses they wore to Bill's wedding in Deathly Hallows Part 1.

Going to need a refresher on those, but I remember they were lovely. Why aren't there more reasons to swan around in pretty dresses? :(
    Forum Member
    Going to need a refresher on those, but I remember they were lovely. Why aren't there more reasons to swan around in pretty dresses? :(

Some of them were. I had a look at some photos and I was thinking of a dark green dress like Ginny Weasley wore at Slughorn's party. True dat :p Maybe I should go down to the Apple Store in a fancy dress and see what people say :cool: I'd probably be stared at but some might be amused as well. Who knows?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of them were. I had a look at some photos and I was thinking of a dark green dress like Ginny Weasley wore at Slughorn's party. True dat :p Maybe I should go down to the Apple Store in a fancy dress and see what people say :cool: I'd probably be stared at but some might be amused as well. Who knows?

We could start a trend ;)
  • AesaAesa Posts: 3,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could always wear something really shimmery and channel your inner Patronus :)