The Newsroom (HBO) -- Season 1 (US Pace)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Second series? In the comment I replied to you said that most HBO shows don't get as far as a third season "these days." True Blood is on season 5. Boardwalk Empire, Game Of Thrones, and Treme have been given third season orders. Even the cancelled Hung and Bored To Death got three seasons. If there is a recent HBO show you have in mind that got two seasons and no more I don't know what it is. I suppose Flight of The Conchords qualifies, but HBO didn't cancel it -- the creators simply didn't want to go past two seasons.

How To Make It In America - Created by Mark Wharlberg of Entourage (Scraped a second series, cancelled due to low viewership)
    Luck - Starring Dustin Hoffman (Cancelled due to animal cruelty controversy during filming for series 2)

And, I doubt Veep will make it past a second season
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    How To Make It In America - Created by Mark Wharlberg of Entourage (Scraped a second series, cancelled due to low viewership)
    Luck - Starring Dustin Hoffman (Cancelled due to animal cruelty controversy during filming for series 2)

And, I doubt Veep will make it past a second season

HTMIIA and Luck lasted one season. You said most HBO shows get a second season. I wasn't quarrelling with that part of your original comment. The second part of the original comment -- about most HBO shows not getting a third season these days -- is what struck me as "completely false," to repeat the words I used.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    HTMIIA and Luck lasted one season. You said most HBO shows get a second season. I wasn't quarrelling with that part of your original comment. The second part of the original comment -- about most HBO shows not getting a third season these days -- is what struck me as "completely false," to repeat the words I used.

Luck got renewed but they were unable to complete the second series
    HTMIA lasted two seasons, but only the first has been shown in the UK
    Forum Member
    HTMIA lasted two seasons, but only the first has been shown in the UK

Okay, so How To Make It In American is the ONE HBO show, since Flight Of The Conchords, to get two seasons but not a third.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's not squabble kids! :D
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a good show, I really enjoy it.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Fonda can still blast everyone else off the screen, even today.
    Apart from all the "God Bless America" crap this show is pretty good.
  • SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »

Seriously ironjade? :rolleyes: People like you crack me (an American) up everytime with these types of comments. :D

LOL...

Btw, I'm liking the series so far. ;)
  • SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »

I have to agree with you on this one. The scenes between Jane Fonda and Sam Waterston were great.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Squiggle wrote: »
    Seriously ironjade? :rolleyes: People like you crack me (an American) up everytime with these types of comments. :D

LOL...

Btw, I'm liking the series so far. ;)

It's just so clumsy. If it's meant as irony, it doesn't work and if it's serious it's just cringemaking.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this is for the US pace, but I watched this on Sky Atlantic last night, and really enjoyed it, kind of an American version of "Drop the Dead Donkey", but with a more serious tone I thought.

I hope that there will be a box set releashed, as I wouldn't mind adding it to my collection! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My early reservations about the slower pace of the show are disappearing as The Newsroom finds its feet. The latest episode was the most engaging yet and the addition of Jane Fonda was welcome. It felt like it hung together better and had a style. The first couple of episodes to me felt like they were just getting through plot points to set the stage for the series. Compared to, for example, the first episode of The West Wing that spring fully formed with a confidence and style that were consistently maintained for years.

I still think, though, that Emily Mortimer is miscast and stilted in her dialogue delivery. She slows down every scene she's in. And I'm not keen on Alison Pill either wherever she's come from.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some good stuff in Ep4 but the show just feels too bloated and needs some editing down. The first 20 mins at the NY party just dragged on forever without the episode going anywhere.

I'm still not in love with this as I was with SN, TWW or S60 at the same stage but I'm going to stick with it.
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Some good stuff in Ep4 but the show just feels too bloated and needs some editing down. The first 20 mins at the NY party just dragged on forever without the episode going anywhere.

During the party scene I too had the uncomfortable sense that the episode was going nowhere -- but I was wrong. It did lead somewhere, with the gossip columnist bit turning into a storyline about Will have a series of unfortunate experiences with women that played right into the hands of Leona Lansing's plan to muddy Will's reputation as a prelude to eventually firing him. Everything pulled together. This is the luxury Sorkin has of working for HBO. Every other series he has done has been on network TV, where an "hour" is really 42-44 minutes. Sorkin can now take his time setting something up, and as long as the payoff is there, I am not going to complain
  • LARulzLARulz Posts: 34,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say, I was bitterly disappointed with that episode. Everything felt so forced and obvious. The West Wing's brilliance was the character interaction in that they were all different people but in general had a similar goal, here everyone is exactly the same. Oh and as for Dev Patel (who I do like in general so relax) is actually a fairly poor actor/given a stupid role (I'm undecided which one it is). The one positive I will say though is how they linked the previous episode.

Also the ending? Cheesy or what? The music, the tears, the smiling at each other. You'd think they saved Gabrielle Giffords themselves
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorkin can now take his time setting something up, and as long as the payoff is there, I am not going to complain

That's true but the episodes still need to do something in the first few minutes to grab the attention of causal or uncommitted viewers. It's great having a long payoff but there's little point if most people have turned off by the first commercial break.

Another problem is that they go straight into an over-long title sequence without any teaser.
  • poggspoggs Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    Absolutely loving this show. Best thing on the tv this summer by a distance.

Its just sublime. I love everything put out by sorkin and this is one of his best. long may it continue.
    Forum Member
    That's true but the episodes still need to do something in the first few minutes to grab the attention of causal or uncommitted viewers.

Well, again, the beauty of being on HBO -- no need to appeal to the "casual or uncommitted viewer."
    It's great having a long payoff but there's little point if most people have turned off by the first commercial break.

No commercial breaks on HBO.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's true but the episodes still need to do something in the first few minutes to grab the attention of causal or uncommitted viewers.

This is true. And I switched off and went to bed while the party was still going on. I'll resume today but I had intended to watch the whole episode. Instead, I was left bored and wondering why there was a New Year's Eve episode broadcast in the middle of summer.

I know that it's network TV that usually does holiday-themed episdodes (I'll always remember Judge Henry Bone snarling "It's Halloween so we have a witch. Why am I not surprised" on David E. Kelley's fantastic Picket Fences) around the time of the holiday event and so I was left wondering if this was a hamfisted attempt by Sorkin to prove yet again that he's writing for HBO and cable where the network conventions do not apply. New Year in July. Bring it on.

Also agree with Larulz about our very own Dev. He's done good work but not on this show.

Anyway, I'll finish it tonight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poggs wrote: »
    Absolutely loving this show. Best thing on the tv this summer by a distance.

Its just sublime. I love everything put out by sorkin and this is one of his best. long may it continue.

Think you're forgetting a certain show called Breaking Bad
    Forum Member
    LARulz wrote: »
    Think you're forgetting a certain show called Breaking Bad

Maybe that person doesn't watch Breaking Bad. Everybody should, but not everybody does.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe that person doesn't watch Breaking Bad. Everybody should, but not everybody does.

Then therefore cannot say its the "Best thing on the tv this summer by a distance." if they have not seen all other offerings?

I'm just being silly to be honest, I know its just a common expression used for a good show but having seen both and being more pumped about Breaking Bad than this I just had to say it.

I hope Newsroom will improve, and I'm sure it will. Being given a second season is just what Sorkin needed, can properly build now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm. Finished it last night eventually.

On a positive note, I did find the on-air rant about the mis-reporting of Obama's India trip to be quite interesting. But only because I assume that what was depicted in this fiction was in fact factual.

But that's about all I enjoyed.

I really didn't like the hamfisted attempt to create ethical tension around the reporting of the shot politician. Again, I assume that what was represented was factually based (ie. the other channels all incorrectly reported her death) but the point was so bluntly made.

While I quite enjoy the factual exposure of the US media's misreporting, this alone isn't a reason to elevate The Newsroom and I question whether a fictional drama is the right place to highlight such facts if that is the purpose.

It's true, there was a point to the elongated and boring opening but when it finally came it wasn't a surprise and took a sledgehammeresque flashback to drive the twist home.

After last week's episode, this one nosedived in quality and I still don't know what Dev is doing there.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought episode six was wonderful... I loved her interview in Japanese and the fallout (geddit ;):D ) though I was shocked that any presenter would be allowed to harass a politician about their sexuality in such a manner! :eek: :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonderful?

I'm afraid I don't see it. Try as it might, The Newsroom is nowhere near the quality of The West Wing. And try very hard, it does.

This episode's psychiatrist character was an almost word-for-word facsimile of Adam Arkin's character on The West Wing. Even the motivation for the lead character to visit him (the President couldn't sleep) was exactly the same. If you closed your eyes you'd think it was Adam Arkin speaking the dialogue. Except on HBO, the character can and does thrillingly say the word f*ck.

Then the meeting exchange with the body guard was an almost word-for-word facsimile of the exchange between CJ and Mark Harmon's bodyguard character from The West Wing.

It transpired that the entire episode's structure was identical to The West Wing's Adam Arkin episode with Josh. Full of challenges and flashbacks to previous events.

Only it wasn't as good. Not by half.