Options

The Situation situation (MERGED)

Comments

• Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    psy7ch wrote: »
    So he is part of a downmarket US reality TV show. How are most of us supposed to have known who he is?
    Downmarket?

Maybe in terms of the values it illustrates, sure. In terms of the lack of sophistication it assumes in its viewers... also sure. But in terms of earnings and fame? Not even remotely.
  • Options
    Andy_GAndy_G Posts: 11,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the same way that many younger people will not have a clue who Julie Goodyear is, us older folk have no idea who 'the situation' is.

He may be famous to some, but certainly not to me.
    I don't like him so far anyway.
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is always going to be a couple of HMs I have not heard of.

On twitter, lots of tweenie girls and boys saying

OMG Can't believe people haven't heard of the Situation, have you all been living under a rock?

Errm, yes I apparently have. :D
  • Options
    Desy BoyDesy Boy Posts: 2,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that it's more of an annoyance of the smugness shown by some at not knowing who he was. You don't get a cookie for declaring that you don't know The Situation on a Big Brother forum. There's no prize for that people, there's no reality show hierarchy.

If you don't know him get to know. I can guarantee that you'll hate him. Everybody does. He's a total douchebag but it's all very pantomime. So much so that you end up loving him. But the fact that I know that doesn't make your knowledge of Deana's school record any more noble. We're pigs swilling in the same sh!t I'm afraid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,852
    Forum Member
    On the special features of Jersey shore, Snooki was pretending to be the situation and apparently, He had his shirt off in a cafe and a girl that was with her boyfriend was staring at him. The boyfriend wasn't pleased and his friend said that his body had started a "Situation"
  • Options
    RitainawhirlRitainawhirl Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    Havent a clue who he is.....and the fact ANYONE would think hes more famous than Julian, Julie Coleen or Cheryl needs their head tested
  • Options
    ArwenEvenstarArwenEvenstar Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Desy Boy wrote: »
    It's like the acronym GTL means nothing to some of you guys :-(

Because we've left school?
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    MissDexter wrote: »
    To people under 20 maybe.

To me he's a nobody.
    Except.... probably not.

Jersey Shore first became a hit four years ago. Its target audience, at that point, was 18-24. Its target has aged at that same rate.

Is this guy worthwhile to society in any, way, shape or form? No. He's a pimple on the arse of society. But that's not the same thing as being a nobody. He's hugely famous. Unfortunately.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    I love him
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I understand it, Geordie Shore, Jersey Shore, The Only Way is Essex etc are spawned by programme makers with no imagination beyond, "Oh yes we could do that too!", and take the form of little lessons for us to discover how chavs and their clones behave in different parts of the world.

We learn that the only difference is the accent.

Because sticking a bunch of plebs in a house and locking the door is some real highbrow stuff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lynwood3 wrote: »
    He's very unattractive and inarticulate. Probably appeal to Conor fans.

Imagine he was quiet shocked and not understanding a huge amount of what was going on, but you'll find he's actually pretty articulate and has quiet a sharp (cruel) wit. He's not a likeable person at all and pretty complex but that is why he'll make a great housemate...IF he comes out of himself and shows the character (unlikeable) he has on JS.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Julian and Julie are the most famous, most of the others are just reality show contestants, models and 'stars' which is a niche genre. I have never heard of Mike , I have never seen the show he is in.
  • Options
    littlefrolittlefro Posts: 3,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't watch everything put out on tv, nor do I read celeb magazines. It follows that I will not heard of this bloke before. Will that do?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will judge him on his actions in the show. Well the 45 mins of HLs I get to see, anyway. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because we've left school?

But on a BB forum. I call bullsh!t.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    He is the most famous world wide
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    LufcLiam wrote: »
    He is the most famous world wide

No he's not, hardly anyone knows him here it seems.He seems to be some reality 'star' and has no talent like the actors and the comedian in there.
  • Options
    cescamunchkincescamunchkin Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    MissDexter wrote: »
    To people under 20 maybe.

To me he's a nobody.

Just to clarify for people who don't know who he is. Jersey Shore is an American reality tv show about a group of 7 Italian American young people living at the beach for a summer, one of whom is Mike (The Situation). But, it became hugely popular because of their craziness and huge personalities (along with some weird catchphrases) and so they all became famous and the show has been on now for about 5 years. I'm pretty sure that it's MTV's highest rated show in America and it's shown on MTV in lots of other countries throughout the world.
    Is it highbrow? No! It's all a bit cringey and awkward to watch, but there is no denying that it is huge, and he is very famous in America, and I would have thought relatively well known throughout the entire world. Right now. I would say that he is the only person in that house who is regularly in celebrity magazines, talked about on blogs and still actually working. Whether you like him or not he is definitelyworld famous and very popular right now, and for CBB that is actually a big deal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,852
    Forum Member
    Imo, he's famous but only because I've seen the show. People who haven't seen it are better off. JS is trash TV, but it's Trash TV gold. People will grow to like him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    #cbb tweets from last night.

I hate CBB but OMG The Situation is in there, will have to watch now!

How can anyone not know who The Situation is!

Who is that old woman that looks like Jimmy Saville

Too many oaps in there!

It's Steve Owen from Eastenders! I didn't know he was in a band and could sing!

My mum is now going to watch as Martin Kemp is in it.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    No he's not, hardly anyone knows him here it seems.He seems to be some reality 'star' and has no talent like the actors and the comedian in there.

Just because a few middle aged people on a forum dont know who he is doesnt mean he is not known, worldwide he is known more than anyone else in the house. Just because he has no talent doesnt mean he isnt popular.
  • Options
    cleocleo Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've honestly never heard of him. I never watched Jersey Shore and haven't heard of him in the papers or anything.

He might be more known world-wide but not famous to me.

I would have said Martin Kemp was the most famous, as he's had a long career and was a star in music, film and soap, but maybe I think that because he's around my age and I've always known him,
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    Are we doing that thing that we say he is the most famous because he's American? Unless you are a fan of Jersey Shore (which i don't think does that well on our MTV) or are addicted to online news sites, you won't really know him.

For UK audience, which it is, i'd say Julie, Julian and Martin are probably the three biggest in there given their work and audience bases.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim18 wrote: »
    I cant believe how noone knows who the situation is? He is one of the main characters in jersey shore, along with snooki and pauly d. I dont watch jersey shore but i have heard hes hilarious.

Also he is actually a massive star in america on his own , he is really popular and has been in the news lately with his prescription drug problem and rehab.

In your little world he is the most famous. But if you asked a cross section, Martin Kemp would EASILY be the most famous. Look beyond your blinkers.
  • Options
    white tigresswhite tigress Posts: 3,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who??