Options

F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2013 Season (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's silly. :eek:

What is? The fact that people are less likely to stumble across F1 when it is on channel 406?

If so it isn't really. We know what channel it is on, and will look to see what is on because it entertains us, but it someone is just looking for something to watch, they are likely to find something to watch on the channels that are lower down the EPG.

This is why the BBC is always going to get more viewers, even if Sky Sports F1 was available to everyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bouffont wrote: »
    Is it just me or is it not searchable on non website versions, ie iPad or Android? I always have this issue. Hummm
    Pete_uk wrote: »
    How come its not available on iPlayer on the TV or my iPod touch? Seems a bit silly to just have it on the pc
    The iPlayer available on STBs and mobile devices is not the full iPlayer service, not every programme is available on it.
    The F1 programmes are never available on these programmes,usually only the highlights programme.

I don't think the BBC F1 coverage never appeared on the VM BBC iPlayer in the entire 2 years I had it.
    Every time I looked I know they weren't.
  • Options
    joel turcottejoel turcotte Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R410 wrote: »
    What is?

The premise that it would be worthwhile for SKY to offer a free box, and presumably free dish fitting, to a customer on the notion they would be frustrated at not being able to watch
    encrypted programmes so they would sign up for a SKY package.
    It would be nothing to do with 406, it would be like the Hoover flights promotion when Hoover underestimated the number of punters likely to claim free flights to the USA after buying a new vacuum cleaner. They were counting on the industry average claim of 10% or 20%.
    Instead they were horrified to find people were buying multiples of cleaners just to qualify for the free flights to USA.
    SKY would immediately find they were swamped with demand for free equipment from people that otherwise would be paying £150 plus for a Freesat.
    It would kill the Freesat business overnight also, making the stock in the supply chain worthless.
    It'll never happen.*

*OK it might happen. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Changing subject slightly.....I'd like to see the 'gain' increased on the microphone used in the pre podium room. Quite often I can pick some of the drivers words, but often I can't hear it all. For me it's one of the best bits of the weekend; body language and words to each other can destroys years of perfectly formed PR statements.

It was quite interesting some of Lewis and Kimi's comments on Perez which it seems weren't picked up by the broadcasters. I'm sure I saw a tweet from Andrew Benson last night mentioning it, but upon looking this morning it seems to of been deleted.

In a nutshell Kimi was complaining about Perez's driving and Lewis agreed and made some commment about him being 'all over the place' whilst shaking his head. I was very surprised this wasn't picked up by the broadcasters.

Me too. The only article I've seen is this one:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-2309045/Chinese-Grand-Prix-Lewis-Hamilton-Sergio-Perez.html

The issue with making the pre-podium room officially audible (as opposed to the current situation where audio seems to be incidental) is that the teams' irritating PR people would inevitably get involved and sanitise that too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The premise that it would be worthwhile for SKY to offer a free box, and presumably free dish fitting, to a customer on the notion they would be frustrated at not being able to watch
    encrypted programmes so they would sign up for a SKY package.
    It would be nothing to do with 406, it would be like the Hoover flights promotion when Hoover underestimated the number of punters likely to claim free flights to the USA after buying a new vacuum cleaner. They were counting on the industry average claim of 10% or 20%.
    Instead they were horrified to find people were buying multiples of cleaners just to qualify for the free flights to USA.
    SKY would immediately find they were swamped with demand for free equipment from people that otherwise would be paying £150 plus for a Freesat.
    It would kill the Freesat business overnight also, making the stock in the supply chain worthless.
    It'll never happen.*

*OK it might happen. :D
    Ah right, I misunderstood what you meant.

I agree that those who want pay TV usually have it, and providing one channel on top of what you already can get for free anyway is not going to push subs either.

Giving people part time access, say let them watch programming during the week excluding the race may get people to subscribe, but just giving them it for free isn't. The opposite in thank. If someone was thinking about subscribing for Sky Sports F1 but found they could did not have to pay they wouldn't.

Unless Sky ditch their backwards thinking towards PVRs they aren't going to make any difference to Freesat/FTA users.
    In this day and age with PVR available for not that much money, why Sky block the recording facility of the Sky+ unless you pay is beyond me.
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,397
    Forum Member
    Pirelli have very quietly changed the tyre compounds for Bahrain from Soft/Hard to Medium/Hard.
  • Options
    thedoppelgangerthedoppelganger Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Maybe do it by race circuit then, Pirelli tyres at the European events, Bridgestone at the Asian races, something like that.

Though at the rate European events are vanishing, there won't be many left soon.....:(

I watched Ted's Note Book and Martin's Grid Walk on Youtube - both very good. I have to agree as well with the other views here that Sky are improving / settling in.
    And sadly the BBC are declining in the pundit area. Suzy, DC, Ben, Gary are excellent. Eddie's OK when he can be bothered to turn up.

Note to Mr Brundle from your Grid Walk - you are NOT responsible for starting the Grid Walk craze in 1997. Eurosport were doing it 5 years before that and before the BBC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Free F1 access from Sky ?

Flying Pigs come to mind.

But then Sky have put a lot of money into ROKU and ROKU are building a Sky branded box (an IPTV media streamer) for access to NowTV.

And IPTV would allow this to Sky quite cheaply.

Give away the box when you pay for a sub to F1 ?
    or Pay for the box and get F1 included as the freebie ?
    or Give the box away with free F1 included ?

NowTV doesn't seem to work too well yet and loads of viewers streaming the same live event may overload the servers.

But there are ways.

And pigs definitely can fly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But there are ways.

Before anyone leaps on that - I mean ways of legally making Sky F1 available for free - not illegal streams. I could have worded it better.

Bernie - the answer is simple really - get all F1 back live onto Free To Air TV if you're worried about viewing figures.

Hey - another flying pig just cruised past the window.
  • Options
    theAREtheARE Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Free F1 access from Sky ?

Flying Pigs come to mind.

But then Sky have put a lot of money into ROKU and ROKU are building a Sky branded box (an IPTV media streamer) for access to NowTV.

And IPTV would allow this to Sky quite cheaply.

Give away the box when you pay for a sub to F1 ?
    or Pay for the box and get F1 included as the freebie ?
    or Give the box away with free F1 included ?

NowTV doesn't seem to work too well yet and loads of viewers streaming the same live event may overload the servers.

But there are ways.

And pigs definitely can fly.

Yeah I mentioned in the other thread that NowTV/ Roku would be the way to do it. If they could design an F1 only season pass rather than this ridiculous £10 for 24 hours of all the Sky Sports channels pricing then it might tempt more people.

But the price would have to be competitive - probably in the £100 - £200 range and they would need to sort out the bugs with NowTV.

The advantages of that to Sky is that they could then potentially get people to hire movies etc from them once people have the box.

So it's a possibility - but they need to ensure that it's a good offering both price wise and in terms of service and picture quality.
  • Options
    Chris_WilliamsChris_Williams Posts: 152
    Forum Member

The Sky Go monthly ticket on pc for those who don't subscribe to Sky TV is quite successful and has no overload problems.Much better value than Now TV.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pirelli have very quietly changed the tyre compounds for Bahrain from Soft/Hard to Medium/Hard.

Interesting...do you have a source/link for that?

edit - ignore me, I found it, d'oh.
  • Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    Interesting...do you have a source/link for that?

its on the bbc website...
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its on the bbc website...

I'd like to claim a blonde moment, although that would be politically incorrect. And I'm not blonde. Or, indeed, a woman. Thankfully Sir Stirling Moss is occupying the politically-incorrect-comments-about-women region at the moment, so mayhap I got away with it.
  • Options
    joel turcottejoel turcotte Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    Thankfully Sir Stirling Moss is occupying the politically-incorrect-comments-about-women region at the moment, so mayhap I got away with it.

One thing to come out of Sir SM's coverage, lots of publicity for Red Bull's latest signing.

http://www.beitskevisser.com/
  • Options
    BouffontBouffont Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Pete_uk wrote: »
    How come its not available on iPlayer on the TV or my iPod touch? Seems a bit silly to just have it on the pc

Is anyone able to watch the forum by any means? I can't. Shame, as I stuck with the Sky post race with the view of watching the Forum later.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bouffont wrote: »
    Is anyone able to watch the forum by any means? I can't. Shame, as I stuck with the Sky post race with the view of watching the Forum later.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01s73vk/Formula_1_2013_The_Chinese_Grand_Prix_Forum/
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    You can always record the Forum.
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But there are ways.

Picture on Roku is shit, so until they deem us worthy of encoding the HD signal, wont go far. Maybe they will do a special 4:3 version for Bernie, so he thinks F1 is on the cutting edge.. :p :rolleyes:
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    Bernie is embarassed by his stature which looks so less proper man-sized in widescreen. :D
  • Options
    User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear they've sorted out some of the tire compounds for the race this weekend. A step in the right direction.

I had some of the classic races on in the background last night and it was Bahrain 2007. Putting aside the incessant Hamilton overload from ITV (understandable given his impact but on hindsight utterly cringe), I loved watching them on the limit for lap after lap. They seemed to lean on those tires far more and it visually looked great.

Quite funny hearing Louise Goodman talking to Mark Webber and him complaining of mechanical retirement 'again'. James Allen made some comment about Webber being there too many times before....quite prophetic given his future woes.
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    If anyone is interested, this is what's on over the course of Sky's 6 live shows this weekend:

the start of the 2013 season has provided the unpredictability and excitement everyone had been hoping for and now it's to the desert and the Bahrain International Circuit to see what round four has to offer up.

From Sky Sports F1's side there is certainly lots to look forward to as the channel brings you exclusive live coverage of the entire race weekend and plenty of exciting features across our six live shows from the track to boot.

And, with the European now season just round the corner, there's no need to pull any more all-nighters either with the more convenient Middle East time zone meaning your earliest start over the weekend is 7.45am for the start of our Practice One coverage on Friday.

That also means Friday's live airing of The F1 Show comes from a late-afternoon slot - 4pm to be precise - and it will be an edition not to be missed. We'll have an interview with Caterham comeback kid Heikki Kovalainen after what will be his first day back in the cockpit for nearly six months while another popular double act back in tandem, albeit after a rather shorter time apart, David Croft and Anthony Davidson will be at the SkyPad to review all the Practice track action.

Ted and Natalie will be revealing the winners of the Pit Stop Award for China and GP2 rising stars James Calado and Robin Frijns will try to tame the Horse Power Tower.

We'll also be putting McLaren duo and Jenson Button and Sergio Perez to the test on their knowledge of F1's myriad of circuit layouts!

In Saturday's live Qualifying show, which starts at 11am for a 12pm Q1 start, the Sky F1 team will be tackling arguably the big talking point of the moment head on - tyres. As we look back on the events of China, Martin Brundle speaks to Pirelli chief Paul Hembery and McLaren's Sam Michael over the current rubber conundrum.

Fresh from his career-best finish in Shanghai, Toro Rosso's Daniel Ricciardo returns to the scene of his best ever qualifying result of sixth from Bahrain twelve months ago and joins Johnny Herbert for the track guide.

Both our live Qualifying and Race Day shows will feature separate installments of a not-to-be-missed behind-the-scenes feature with Lotus after we were given incredible assess to the team and their personnel over the Chinese GP.

We'll also get regular updates from Lotus Team Principal during the track sessions across the weekend as their Team Principal Eric Boullier is the latest guest of Pit Wall Live.

Sunday's race show also features Anthony Davidson showing Johnny and Simon Lazenby how it's done around a lap of Sakhir in the Mercedes simulator at Brackley and a post-qualifying Martin Brundle interview with Lewis Hamilton as the former champion looks to take the next step towards a first race victory for his new team.
  • Options
    _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    Glad to hear they've sorted out some of the tire compounds for the race this weekend. A step in the right direction.

I had some of the classic races on in the background last night and it was Bahrain 2007. Putting aside the incessant Hamilton overload from ITV (understandable given his impact but on hindsight utterly cringe), I loved watching them on the limit for lap after lap. They seemed to lean on those tires far more and it visually looked great.

Quite funny hearing Louise Goodman talking to Mark Webber and him complaining of mechanical retirement 'again'. James Allen made some comment about Webber being there too many times before....quite prophetic given his future woes.

Bahrain 2007 was a great race for Coulthard, although he too broke down before the end.

The problem with the 2007 season was that most races were actually rather tedious after the first lap. I don't think it's possible to have a great spectacle for qualifying and the race if you have tyres that need to be carried over.

One thing I would like FOM to do would be to display how many laps the tyres have done for each driver on the current stint.
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    One thing I would like FOM to do would be to display how many laps the tyres have done for each driver on the current stint.

removes a reason for buying their app so unlikely to happen /cynic
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,397
    Forum Member
    While watching the 2006 Bahrain GP on Sky earlier on, Instead of bleeping out Fisichella's 'Its f**king s**t' team radio message, They just played the 1st part of the radio message & then cut the rest out completely & did a hard-cut to the next shot we saw of Alonso on track.

Also forgot just how great the racing was in that race, Lots of good wheel to wheel racing down the straght & into the braking zones with a lot of good overtaking.
This discussion has been closed.