Options

TV Licence

Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
Forum Member
✭✭✭
OK, let's be honest now because it will go no further, do you pay your TV Licence ?

I always have, it's good value, a small price to pay for ad free viewing, and it's the Law, and you can't pick and choose the Laws you obey.

Do you pay your TV Licence 82 votes

Yes
82% 68 votes
No
17% 14 votes

Comments

• Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    OK, let's be honest now because it will go no further, do you pay your TV Licence ?

I always have, it's good value, a small price to pay for ad free viewing, and it's the Law, and you can't pick and choose the Laws you obey.

Its only the law if you watch live tv, If you don't watch live then no Licence is needed
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    You must be mind numbingly bored..........
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I'm over 80.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Poll needs more options.
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    No I don't need a tv license. I feel sorry for you if you have been deluded into thinking it's law for everyone.
  • Options
    BPL2011BPL2011 Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Yes, because I watch live television.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It takes a certain type of creep to go round soliciting for the BBC. Probably a mix of bailiff and hangman. If you are in any doubt just refuse to answer the door. Make sure your visitors phone you to let you know when they are popping round. Your home is your castle.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i don`t need one.
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At last! An original thread with original subject matter!:D:D
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can we add to the pool.

If you do not pay the TVL, do you:
    Also take food from shops and no not pay for it.
    Not pay train fares and let others pay them.
    Go to the gym but jump the gates snd not pay a membership?
    Do you go to get a pirate satellite card and not pay Sky?
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I don't need a tv license. I feel sorry for you if you have been deluded into thinking it's law for everyone.

I'm sorry, this thread was moved from General Discussion to Broadcasting I think the subject matter is obviously too mainstream for the superior intellects on here.
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    To everyone saying you don't need a TV licence if you don't watch TV live you may want to read this...
    Who needs a TV Licence?
    If you use or install television equipment to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV, you need to be covered by a valid TV Licence. Viewing television without a licence risks prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000. A colour TV Licence currently cost £145.50. A black and white TV Licence currently costs £49.00.

If you own a TV or anything that receives TV signals live, then you need a licence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    I'm 36 and happy to say I've never bought one and never will.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Iqoniq wrote: »
    To everyone saying you don't need a TV licence if you don't watch TV live you may want to read this...

If you own a TV or anything that receives TV signals live, then you need a licence.

Please read this from tv license web site A reminder of the law

The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorders.

You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    I sincerely hope that all those who are watching or recording live TV on any device and who are not paying the TV Licence are found out, fined and imprisoned if they refuse to pay the fine. They deserve everything that they get.

There a number of different ways to pay: https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/pay-for-your-tv-licence/payment-methods/
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    I do have a licence and always have when one was required but have always felt it's an outdated way to fund services that a household or individual may not make use of. I get the argument that we all pay for services we may or may not use but we are taking TV and Radio here, not Emergency Services, Roads or Schools.

It appals me that people could find themselves in front of a Magistrate for non payment. I will always pay for one as long as I'm required to but the idea you can have aggressive officials knocking at your door (or even worse) because a licence isn't registered for a property makes me cold, it really does.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some years I do, some years I don't. Have not bothered for about 3 years.

Also interesting to note at work, about half of the people under the age who have their own place do not bother with the TV licence - mostly because they are happy to watch catch-up type services and/or are happy to take the risk. Curiously, its only the women who get hassled by TV Licencing.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant see this thread lasting until the poll end date...
  • Options
    cyril-furrcyril-furr Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Revolve wrote: »

Good for you - keep it up.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Revolve wrote: »

I really, really hope that boastful arrogance of yours boomerangs on you and that you get caught out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    I really, really hope that boastful arrogance of yours boomerangs on you and that you get caught out.

I suppose they could do a dawn raid one morning with a battering ram.