Options

BBC videos not working

I'm using XP, IE8 and Flash Player 12.0.0.77 (latest), and for several weeks now none of the 2014, ie current, video clips on BBC.co.uk will play. Instead of the video clip I just get a jpeg pic.

However... there is no such problem with older clips dated 2013 or earlier, these open fine. I must qualify further by saying this seems to apply only to BBC News, Radio, and TV pages, whereas all clips are working normally on the BBC Sports section! As indeed they are on all other sites. This is only a BBC problem as far as I am aware.

I've emailed a couple of BBC addresses I've found about this, needless to say to no avail. It seems, to my simple OAP's mind, that it's more likely to have something to do with the BBC end rather than my Flash Player or computer's settings. But then again, on Googling forever and having found nobody else reporting this problem I'm wondering if all it needs is a perhaps a simple click on something in my Internet Options security settings. Or something.

So I'm writing here in the hope that someone will have some pointers for me. Either how to solve the actual problem or direct me to a BBC contact point.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Some years ago when the BBC was giving me similar problems it was because 'allow third party Flash .....' was unticked in settings. Worth having a look ...........

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager03.html
  • Options
    MrBartyMrBarty Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I have checked that in Flash settings. It was one of the suggestions I found googling.

Today I've noticed that where there's no clip showing (for me) it's always on the pages where there is (supposed to be) just the clip with a short description together with a 'reported by'. Whereas if there is also a longer news item and the same clip is inserted in the text there, it has the 'click to play' and plays fine. In short, there are some BBC pages where the same clip will work and some where it won't.

I've read something to the effect that there are 2 types of Flash clips/codes whatever, something like an older A1 and more recent A2, and that a site which use both versions might have some working and some not. Tho I do have the latest Flash which I imagine can cope with both.

So still hoping someone can come up with something.....
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Open internet explorer, tools, internet options, Advanced and click 'restore advanced settings' then click apply .... may or may not make a difference. Try the BBC using a different browser.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Can you give some examples of clips that work and clips that don't.

I still use IE8 and although I haven't noticed any problems with BBC I have problems with 4OD and have to use a different browser to view.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrBarty wrote: »

Can't understand it. Both second links work perfectly for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well yes.. They probably both work for everyone as they did for me once upon a time.

Just tried clearing Flash Player's cache. Fat lot of good that did. :(
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well yes.. They probably both work for everyone as they did for me once upon a time.

Just tried clearing Flash Player's cache. Fat lot of good that did. :(
    If you right click the videos it seems they are using two different versions of Flash. Which might be a factor.

Have you tried a different browser, Firefox, Chrome or whatever to see if it is a problem generically with your PC or just confined to IE?
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was having trouble because I needed to reset IE 11: one of the subsequent problems was BBC videos not playing at all because my flash player needed updating apparently. After several attempts and no progress I found somewhere the suggestion that looking in Tools and un-ticking ActiveX Filtering might help. It worked for me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    If you right click the videos it seems they are using two different versions of Flash. Which might be a factor.

Have you tried a different browser, Firefox, Chrome or whatever to see if it is a problem generically with your PC or just confined to IE?

Chris. When you say it seems they are using two different versions of Flash, can you explain and perhaps let me know what the difference appears to be?

There's no way I can find this out myself because only one version plays for me, and the only thing I can see there is the EMP version which I assume is the BBC Embedded Media Player.

Thanks.

And DJW, thanks but with XP/IE8 there is no Active X Filtering switch as far as I know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris. When you say it seems they are using two different versions of Flash, can you explain and perhaps let me know what the difference appears to be?

There's no way I can find this out myself because only one version plays for me, and the only thing I can see there is the EMP version which I assume is the BBC Embedded Media Player.

Thanks.

And DJW, thanks but with XP/IE8 there is no Active X Filtering switch as far as I know.

If you right click the "non-working" clips you get

1.9.13.1429087-SMPFlash
    800kbs RTMP

in the top two lines. Both are using h264 encoding but different resolutions and bitrates.

And at the risk of sounding like a broken record, :) have you tried the clips in an alternative browser just to confirm whether it is IE or Flash that is the problem?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you right click the "non-working" clips you get

1.9.13.1429087-SMPFlash
    800kbs RTMP

in the top two lines. Both are using h264 encoding but different resolutions and bitrates.

And at the risk of sounding like a broken record, :) have you tried the clips in an alternative browser just to confirm whether it is IE or Flash that is the problem?

I see nothing like that when I right click the ones that work for me. Just the EMP number at the top. Sorry to appear thick but if you see that in my 'non working' clips, what do you see in my working clips?

And no, I'm clinging on to XP and IE8 with gritted teeth. heheh. Being an old pensioner I'm scared to install another browser (although I know I'm talking nonsense) as well as this one cos "something's bound to go wrong knowing my luck".

Although I'll have to take the plunge soon because yesterday I found the updated Marks and Spencer site is next to impossible to use with my IE8. But then there's all that Outlook Express stuff to contend with...... lol. And Chrome? Firefox...?

Just found out that all this isn't just senility creeping in but that I can put it down to my genes too: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2599310/Always-putting-Blame-mum-dad-Scientists-say-procrastination-genes.html

Edit. oh I lie. I have a second line which in this one reads: 26878349 | 496kbps | h264 | AK 4.5 ( 1 ) | 384x216
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see nothing like that when I right click the ones that work for me. Just the EMP number at the top. Sorry to appear thick but if you see that in my 'non working' clips, what do you see in my working clips?

And no, I'm clinging on to XP and IE8 with gritted teeth. heheh. Being an old pensioner I'm scared to install another browser (although I know I'm talking nonsense) as well as this one cos "something's bound to go wrong knowing my luck".

Although I'll have to take the plunge soon because yesterday I found the updated Marks and Spencer site is next to impossible to use with my IE8. But then there's all that Outlook Express stuff to contend with...... lol. And Chrome? Firefox...?

Just found out that all this isn't just senility creeping in but that I can put it down to my genes too: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2599310/Always-putting-Blame-mum-dad-Scientists-say-procrastination-genes.html

The below:

First working clip.
    EMP v3.1.0.r749603_749269_749444_6

26878349 | 496kbps | h264 | AK 4.5 (1) | 384x216

Second working clip.
    EMP v3.1.0.r749603_749269_749444_6

26848489 | 496kbps | h264 | AK 4.5 (1) | 512x288
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Many thanks.

Can I be a pain and ask if you could let me know the complete "1.9.13.1429087-SMPFlash" lines too. So that I can use the comparison if I find somewhere at the BBC to send them to!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks.

Can I be a pain and ask if you could let me know the complete "1.9.13.1429087-SMPFlash" lines too. So that I can use the comparison if I find somewhere at the BBC to send them to!

They didn't have that on. I would have included it if they did. I put all the information down that mattered.
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 'not working' links work for me in XP + IE8 (albeit in a VM). Has the OP tried resetting IE8 ? See pic for how (pic also shows problem link working on XP)

http://s30.postimg.org/e7bl4zv75/reset_ie8.jpg
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's really worth trying a different browser, Firefox would be my pick.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks.

Clip 1
    1.9.13.1429087-SMPFlash
    1500kbs | RTMP (akamai) | h264 | 684x384

Clip 2
    1.9.13.1429087-SMPFlash
    1500kbs | RTMP (akamai) | h264 | 704x396
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    It's really worth trying a different browser, Firefox would be my pick.

After installing the latest version of Firefox, I'm actually quite surprised at how quicker it renders pages. The last release seemed quite sluggish at rendering web pages. This release, 28, seems to be quite easy on the graphics chip on the Core i5. They've improved its rendering performance quite a bit. It's nearly as fast as Chrome is at rendering now. It's quite a bit better than it was in the last release. Very impressed with the rendering improvement. If they carry on improving the startup time and the rendering of web pages, Firefox's popularity should start climbing again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clip 1
    1.9.13.1429087-SMPFlash
    1500kbs | RTMP (akamai) | h264 | 684x384

Clip 2
    1.9.13.1429087-SMPFlash
    1500kbs | RTMP (akamai) | h264 | 704x396

Where did you get 704x396 from? None of the clips displayed this information when I right-clicked them. They also don't show the SMPFlash bit either when I right-click the working clips.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Where did you get 704x396 from? None of the clips displayed this information when I right-clicked them. They also don't show the SMPFlash bit either when I right-click the working clips.

Those are the "non-working" clips
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those are the "non-working" clips

I clicked on the working and non-working ones. I didn't see that resolution in any of them.