Music channels

Comments

• Sylvester2007Sylvester2007 Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah right. A lot of boys are probably closet Britney fans ;-) A lot of my friends say they don't like her but they probably do, they're just not gonna admit it because they don't think it's 'cool' to like Britney. I bet you love watching the videos with the sound off ;-) I like both pre and post-meltdown music, but I tend to listen to all the albums anyway. The songs I listen to depend on the mood I'm in and where I am when I'm listening to them. I'm A Slave 4 U and Work Bitch happen to be favourites of mine at the moment I also have loads of unreleased Britney songs that never made the albums. A lot of them are really good. I'm not fond of Perfume or the new album. Some of the songs on it are ok but the rest are just meh. Can't you tell I'm a massive Britney fan?

Ha! I'm sure he is deep down. :p

Videos with the sound off? Yeah, they are pretty nice, especially '3' :o:D I'm more of a Cascada and Def Leppard chap (slightly different to each other and I mean music, not videos with the sound down - Joe Elliott in underwear doesn't do it for me :o)

My girls collect music (they got it from me, just different artists) and they have some rare Britney things from Mexico, Taiwan and so on - don't ask me what, all I remember is I paid for most of it :o My boy doesn't really - he collects other things :confused: Sci-Fi nonsense :cool:

I can't say i've listened to the albums - not knowingly anyway :kitty:
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vintage TV showing Blink 182 All The Small Things from 2000 I always assumed they didn't go passed 1999.

Is this a change in their policy?
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Vintage TV showing Blink 182 All The Small Things from 2000 I always assumed they didn't go passed 1999.

2000 is not Vintage at all >:(
  • kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2000 is not Vintage at all >:(

According to Bauer/MTV that will be classed as "old skool" though :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »

they played music from 2012/13 a few months ago - Something about new vintage or something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTV and Bauer now have 'official' streaming charts.

Didn't see where MTV get their chart from, but Box use Spotify.

I'm getting into YouTube a bit more at the moment - I am a bit of a technophobe with these kinds of things, so I will work out how to have my own account and playlists etc when I have more time - can someone tell me a bit more about Spotify and Blinkbox - are they similar?

Edit: Actually, Blinkbox is apparently movies and TV - oops! Technophobe!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Ha! I'm sure he is deep down. :p

Videos with the sound off? Yeah, they are pretty nice, especially '3' :o:D I'm more of a Cascada and Def Leppard chap (slightly different to each other and I mean music, not videos with the sound down - Joe Elliott in underwear doesn't do it for me :o)

My girls collect music (they got it from me, just different artists) and they have some rare Britney things from Mexico, Taiwan and so on - don't ask me what, all I remember is I paid for most of it :o My boy doesn't really - he collects other things :confused: Sci-Fi nonsense :cool:

I can't say i've listened to the albums - not knowingly anyway :kitty:

I think there are a lot more Britney fans around than you think, but a lot of them won't admit it ;-) Haha! I've started a Britney collection now. I meant to do it years ago but I lost interest in Britney for a while and over the last few months I became interested in her again. I've listened to a lot of Britney over the last few months ;-) I was over in London last week and I went to a Cash Converters and found the original Baby One More Time single from 1999 for the grand sum of 10p! I bought it! I also use Britney's perfume. I have the Circus Fantasy and Island Fantasy ones. I have all the albums plus a few albums' worth of demos and unreleased songs. I'm a massive fan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTV and Bauer now have 'official' streaming charts.

Didn't see where MTV get their chart from, but Box use Spotify.

I'm getting into YouTube a bit more at the moment - I am a bit of a technophobe with these kinds of things, so I will work out how to have my own account and playlists etc when I have more time - can someone tell me a bit more about Spotify and Blinkbox - are they similar?

Edit: Actually, Blinkbox is apparently movies and TV - oops! Technophobe!

I just googled it supposedly MTV's is from the "official charts company" (same ones that run on their channels ironic of all)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there are a lot more Britney fans around than you think, but a lot of them won't admit it ;-) Haha! I've started a Britney collection now. I meant to do it years ago but I lost interest in Britney for a while and over the last few months I became interested in her again. I've listened to a lot of Britney over the last few months ;-) I was over in London last week and I went to a Cash Converters and found the original Baby One More Time single from 1999 for the grand sum of 10p! I bought it! I also use Britney's perfume. I have the Circus Fantasy and Island Fantasy ones. I have all the albums plus a few albums' worth of demos and unreleased songs. I'm a massive fan.

Similar with lots of people I guess - secret fans.

It's good to collect something - my girls collect various artists and try and get all the rare things - Britney is just one of them. I collect Cascada and Def Leppard.

You can get the old things cheap these days - 10p is impressive though.

I'm allergic to one of the perfumes - not sure which it is, but it makes me sneeze. Must find out which one so I don't buy it for the girls again, as I suffer :p
    kezo wrote: »
    I just googled it supposedly MTV's is from the "official charts company" (same ones that run on their channels ironic of all)

Is there an official streaming chart then? Does it now exist? Bizarre.

Talking of bizarre, on Chart Show this afternoon was Footy Anthems - due to the big E England game tonight - am I missing something? I can't see any England game?
    Forum Member

It's good to collect something - my girls collect various artists and try and get all the rare things - Britney is just one of them. I collect Cascada and Def Leppard.

I'm allergic to one of the perfumes - not sure which it is, but it makes me sneeze. Must find out which one so I don't buy it for the girls again, as I suffer :p

Exactly. I enjoy collecting things :D When I have a free moment I must look around some second hand shops and see what I can get. If I get any more old Britney singles I'll be pleased. I always just bought the albums so I never really owned any of the CD singles. I did have a copy of Overprotected on cassette though. I still have it! Best to ask them which perfume it is :D I used the Circus Fantasy one a few times and I found it's a good lecturer repellent. I've got one lecturer who can be a bit of a slave driver (I always think of I'm A Slave 4 U when I see her :D) and I found the Circus Fantasy perfume seems to keep her away from me. I think she hates the smell of it :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is there an official streaming chart then? Does it now exist? Bizarre.

Talking of bizarre, on Chart Show this afternoon was Footy Anthems - due to the big E England game tonight - am I missing something? I can't see any England game?

Unless to expect it on MTV Networks in coming weeks :confused: surprised The Box has one with Spotify and presume up and running (correct me)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. I enjoy collecting things :D When I have a free moment I must look around some second hand shops and see what I can get. If I get any more old Britney singles I'll be pleased. I always just bought the albums so I never really owned any of the CD singles. I did have a copy of Overprotected on cassette though. I still have it! Best to ask them which perfume it is :D I used the Circus Fantasy one a few times and I found it's a good lecturer repellent. I've got one lecturer who can be a bit of a slave driver (I always think of I'm A Slave 4 U when I see her :D) and I found the Circus Fantasy perfume seems to keep her away from me. I think she hates the smell of it :p

One of my girls has one of the songs on this bizarre cassette type thing - no idea what it is, some form of media that didn't last long.

Ha - I will need to work out which as it gets me bad - I'll have to ban it! Poor lecturer, kill her with Britney :p
    Unless to expect it on MTV Networks in coming weeks :confused: surprised The Box has one with Spotify and presume up and running (correct me)

MTV was the official charts as you say, Box are already showing the Spotify one. I'm not sure what they class as official - do they use You Tube and ALL streaming sites - surely not?

One thing about Cascada's new single - Clubland say it will not be played on any other channel :o What if it charts (pigs might fly)? It's bizarre as they didn't touch Rhythm Of The Night or World Is In My Hands, yet now claim exclusive rights to this, in my opinion, much lesser song.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my girls has one of the songs on this bizarre cassette type thing - no idea what it is, some form of media that didn't last long.

Ha - I will need to work out which as it gets me bad - I'll have to ban it! Poor lecturer, kill her with Britney :p

MTV was the official charts as you say, Box are already showing the Spotify one. I'm not sure what they class as official - do they use You Tube and ALL streaming sites - surely not?

One thing about Cascada's new single - Clubland say it will not be played on any other channel :o What if it charts (pigs might fly)? It's bizarre as they didn't touch Rhythm Of The Night or World Is In My Hands, yet now claim exclusive rights to this, in my opinion, much lesser song.

I have no idea how they work out the streaming chart - we already have a download chart on MTV - what I would like to know will this chart actually make much difference or we back to square 1 again - same songs on rotation?, there is far too many of these "charts" now I think - If I am honest I barely tune into these charts now as its thats predictable its like your just watching the channel with the same playlist on rotation really

I wonder if Bauer/MTV are avoiding Cascada hence why they have said it? (I don't have channel) but seems weird thats for sure as her songs are/were played on MTV Dance, The Box?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea how they work out the streaming chart - we already have a download chart on MTV - what I would like to know will this chart actually make much difference or we back to square 1 again - same songs on rotation?, there is far too many of these "charts" now I think - If I am honest I barely tune into these charts now as its thats predictable its like your just watching the channel with the same playlist on rotation really

I wonder if Bauer/MTV are avoiding Cascada hence why they have said it? (I don't have channel) but seems weird thats for sure as her songs are/were played on MTV Dance, The Box?

It is all the same songs - another pointless chart.

Well, MTV dance are playing Cascada now - very rare for them, Naughty Noughties Flashback and every now and then, Heat will play Everytime We Touch or Evacuate The Dancefloor - they just don't get played much.

AATW/Clubland used to play Cascada a lot, but with the changes last year, they went in a different direction, so it surprises me now that she's back on there with a new song and they are championing it and also showing an hour of Cascada at midnight.

We also know that MTV/Bauer play the same people over and over again - not a lot of room for any other artists.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The current music channels are TV Hell as far as I'm concerned, but I am enjoying the YouTube connection via my Humax digi-box. Loads of Cure concerts, some in their entirety, as well as loads of other great stuff from the 1980s and 1990s.
  • JVDJVD Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    The current music channels are TV Hell as far as I'm concerned, but I am enjoying the YouTube connection via my Humax digi-box. Loads of Cure concerts, some in their entirety, as well as loads of other great stuff from the 1980s and 1990s.

I agree the music channels are poor now , I recently stopped watching Heart as it's much the same videos now so bored of all music tv now.

You can clearly see the laziness in Music TV nowadays with the same rotation of songs for long periods of time , no wonder they are losing their viewers because the people are so bored of seeing the same god damn tracks!

Kiesza - Hideaway i liked it at first but I cannot bare to listen to it again for a long time now that it's been overplayed to death , I detest when songs are played too much !
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JVD wrote: »
    I agree the music channels are poor now , I recently stopped watching Heart as it's much the same videos now so bored of all music tv now.

You can clearly see the laziness in Music TV nowadays with the same rotation of songs for long periods of time , no wonder they are losing their viewers because the people are so bored of seeing the same god damn tracks!

Kiesza - Hideaway i liked it at first but I cannot bare to listen to it again for a long time now that it's been overplayed to death , I detest when songs are played too much !

Yep I agree.

The viewing figures reflect the picture. Young people still watch music tv for the latest music but they have lost older viewers who would maybe enjoy Magic or Bliss.

Problem they have is there's not enough people to watch all these chart channels so sooner or later some have to go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is all the same songs - another pointless chart.

Well, MTV dance are playing Cascada now - very rare for them, Naughty Noughties Flashback and every now and then, Heat will play Everytime We Touch or Evacuate The Dancefloor - they just don't get played much.

AATW/Clubland used to play Cascada a lot, but with the changes last year, they went in a different direction, so it surprises me now that she's back on there with a new song and they are championing it and also showing an hour of Cascada at midnight.

We also know that MTV/Bauer play the same people over and over again - not a lot of room for any other artists.

Surprise surprise, so its another hour or so chart - even more time being wasted on charts and rightly said same songs on rotate.

MTV Dance use to play Cascada alot when they came about - same with Bauer but rarely I see, Heat is the obvious one as the radio station sometimes plays it.

its just bone idol laziness really if you think about it - yet you have to wonder why they are still carrying teleshopping for the crap they put on!
    Forum Member

I wonder what that could be? And which song was it? Haha good idea :p I don't know if she noticed the perfume, but it certainly keeps her away :D I've played Slave 4 U and Work Bitch in her lectures, but she never notices. I was hoping she would get the hint. I don't think she's a Britney fan as she seems to be a really posh type.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep I agree.

The viewing figures reflect the picture. Young people still watch music tv for the latest music but they have lost older viewers who would maybe enjoy Magic or Bliss.

Problem they have is there's not enough people to watch all these chart channels so sooner or later some have to go.

I'm all for more channels to go - VH1 would be first - any news on this so called update?? - if it ain't happening then its about time to close it down as its just another MTV ad plug in machine - where is the ads for VH1??)

I just find there is a lack of catering to people into "classics" from say 60'-90's - on Virgin you could count Vintage, Magic seems to be more "modern" and VH1 as well, but there is nothing new that makes me want to go to VH1 now, Vintage works better for me as a channel but thats it - where is the variety there? Thats because there is not and the focus on all these channels is 00's and 10's (yet they seem to start referring to songs out of these 2 decades so far as "classics" or "old skool" seriously?) standards have fallen! :(
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm all for more channels to go - VH1 would be first - any news on this so called update?? - if it ain't happening then its about time to close it down as its just another MTV ad plug in machine - where is the ads for VH1??)

I just find there is a lack of catering to people into "classics" from say 60'-90's - on Virgin you could count Vintage, Magic seems to be more "modern" and VH1 as well, but there is nothing new that makes me want to go to VH1 now, Vintage works better for me as a channel but thats it - where is the variety there? Thats because there is not and the focus on all these channels is 00's and 10's (yet they seem to start referring to songs out of these 2 decades so far as "classics" or "old skool" seriously?) standards have fallen! :(

I will be sad in a way if closures come. We have 30 music channels roughly many of them now FTA. However they are not exactly offering more choice channel hop and it's pop, chart, pop, chart. Channels like NME, The Amp, VH2, Q should never have been axed. Again Classic FM TV use to be quite a good channel too.

I feel these channels are too far gone in a way the broadcasters don't care. They probably will run them into the ground until the barb figures hit abut 0.2 and closure becomes inevitable. Music has changed in the way we buy CD's now being digital. Charts mean nothing now. Music TV is just another thing which has went out of fashion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will be sad in a way if closures come. We have 30 music channels roughly many of them now FTA. However they are not exactly offering more choice channel hop and it's pop, chart, pop, chart. Channels like NME, The Amp, VH2, Q should never have been axed. Again Classic FM TV use to be quite a good channel too.

I feel these channels are too far gone in a way the broadcasters don't care. They probably will run them into the ground until the barb figures hit abut 0.2 and closure becomes inevitable. Music has changed in the way we buy CD's now being digital. Charts mean nothing now. Music TV is just another thing which has went out of fashion.

I admit the music is not my scene - but then again that is what has happened with MTV Base/Dance (using them) its all gone too poppy in my mind - if you want classics best bet see them at weekends or thrown on before teleshopping starts! The daytime output on all channels is terrible and even primetime has hit a low point - why not just scrap the whole lot and just be entertainment?

I admit back in the day MTV had Hitlist UK hosted by Cat Deeley I would try and tune into but now its all voicetracked over (no presenter at all as such) .... seems like its all closed. It makes you wonder though is have they reacted correctly to changes in society or have they just "jumped ship"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprise surprise, so its another hour or so chart - even more time being wasted on charts and rightly said same songs on rotate.

MTV Dance use to play Cascada alot when they came about - same with Bauer but rarely I see, Heat is the obvious one as the radio station sometimes plays it.

its just bone idol laziness really if you think about it - yet you have to wonder why they are still carrying teleshopping for the crap they put on!

Charts galore these days - it's what I miss about Clubland - the old days of 21 hours non-stop random tunes (minus the ads) - now they are too obsessed with charts and Judge Flippin' Jules. They are playing some old classics today and it appears they may for the Easter Weekend. Real dance music and not just Example/Calvin Harris - they may be on too, but not too much I hope.

MTV Dance used to be decent - back when they had the little animated emoticon with his comments between songs - one about having a nightmare he was a goth and one saying 'I can tell jokes' must be mid noughties. These days they've got rid of dance and play mainly pop/rnb crossovers.
    I wonder what that could be? And which song was it? Haha good idea :p I don't know if she noticed the perfume, but it certainly keeps her away :D I've played Slave 4 U and Work Bitch in her lectures, but she never notices. I was hoping she would get the hint. I don't think she's a Britney fan as she seems to be a really posh type.

Oh I don't know - i'll ask and get back to you - think it was Baby One More Time.

EDIT: It's Baby One More Time album and it's a minidisc :confused: - this is the item

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/BRITNEY-SPEARS-BABY-ONE-MORE-TIME-MiniDisc-Rare-MD-MiniDisk-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/YpMAAOxyY7FRBZ6G/$(KGrHqJ,!oQFE!I3qT7qBRBZ6GZ59!~~60_35.JPG

I can't imagine a posh lecturer liking Britney :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charts galore these days - it's what I miss about Clubland - the old days of 21 hours non-stop random tunes (minus the ads) - now they are too obsessed with charts and Judge Flippin' Jules. They are playing some old classics today and it appears they may for the Easter Weekend. Real dance music and not just Example/Calvin Harris - they may be on too, but not too much I hope.

MTV Dance used to be decent - back when they had the little animated emoticon with his comments between songs - one about having a nightmare he was a goth and one saying 'I can tell jokes' must be mid noughties. These days they've got rid of dance and play mainly pop/rnb crossovers.

Thats the main issue - thats all it is charts and nothing more - where is viewer interaction - NONE unless they want you to vote for something....

But why do they need to play more "classics" as its easter it should be all year round and not stuck til 10pm or just after

I remember MTV Dance with the Devil - it was OK and I believe that was the time they added likes of Eminem and Flo-rida on it (i'll take blame on Flo-rida being played on there as I requested it a few times on Weekender BUT that seems to be the start of playing rnb on it?) but now the playlists are that obvious! I still think artists such as Jason Derulo/Tinie Tempah should be more on MTV Base and MTV Dance is just plain dance music - I find it an embarassment anytime I see Cheryl Cole on MTV Dance/Base she ain't a good singer or dancer get a grip! In general all channels need a major overhaul on playlisting

I am going to sound weird/bit off topic but when was the last time MTV Dance played say People Hold On by Lisa Stansfield (the remix from 90's) or even tin tin out, guess will be they aint thought of/locked in archives to UK viewers or aint digitised!
  • TranceClubberTranceClubber Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed.

I liked MTV Dance until October'ish 2007 , 2008 and 2009 had too many on and off periods , since then it's not been the same.

I got a few DVD recordings from the MTV Dance Devil era these tracks (2004-2005) :

Basement Jaxx - Oh my Gosh (The European Dancefloor Chart)
    Stonebridge feat. Ultra Nate - Freak On (The European Dancefloor Chart)
    Alice Deejay - The Lonely One (Trance Classics)
    DJ Sammy - Sunlight (Trance Classics)
    Route 33 Feat. Alex James - Looking Back (Move ya Feet!)
    Deep Dish - Say Hello (MTV Dance Anthems)
    Weekend Players - 21st Century (Chill Out)
    Jakatta - American Dream (Ibiza Rewind)
    Brancaccio & Aisher - It's Gonna Be (A Lovely Day) (MTV Dance Anthems)
    Unkle Feat Ian Brown - Reign (Chill Out)
    Sneaker Pimps - 6 Underground (Chill Out)
    Oceanlab feat Justine Suissa - Clear Blue Water (Trance Anthems)
    Marly - You Never Know (MTV Dance Anthems)
    Scent - Up & Down (Move ya Meet)
    El Loco - Ibiza (I got mashed in...2002)

I miss the obscurity like this ! especially the ones in bold!!

MTV Dance and all of their other music channels stopped playing the obscure tracks after 2007 onwards , MTV Dance still had abit of obscurity in the themed nights they had in 2008 but that never lasted long , since then its been pretty much chart-dance and it's remained that to the present day and most of the chart-dance we have now is poor , basically throw away!