Unemployment drops below 7%

PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
Forum Member
✭✭
Some fantastic news, well unless you are a labour supporter.

What are the odds that we will have under 6% by time of next years general election?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27046681
The number of people out of work in the UK has fallen by 77,000 to a five year low of 2.24m in the three months to February, official figures have shown.

The unemployment rate now stands at 6.9% of the adult working population, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said.

Average earnings in the three months to February grew 1.7% compared with a year earlier.

It comes as inflation was recorded to have fallen to 1.6% in March.

Comments

• blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »

It's fantastic news for everyone. Though the BBC article does point out that the rate of growth in average earnings includes bonuses, and if you removed them from the numbers then earnings growth was only 1.4% - i.e. still below inflation. So you can imply from that that (on average) those on non bonus salaries have seen their living standards fall again.

I disagree that today's decent economic performance makes up for 3.5 years of non performance, but we've had the same debate too many times now . . . .
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    It's fantastic news for everyone. Though the BBC article does point out that the rate of growth in average earnings includes bonuses, and if you removed them from the numbers then earnings growth was only 1.4% - i.e. still below inflation. So you can imply from that that (on average) those on non bonus salaries have seen their living standards fall again.

I disagree that today's decent economic performance makes up for 3.5 years of non performance, but we've had the same debate too many times now . . . .

It was always going to take a long time for us to recover the pre-recession position following the recession. This however is another pillar of Eds lines of attack fall away - not only is unemployment lower than when the coalition came to power, but now average earnings are growing faster than inflation (and it will not be long before this includes non-bonus earnings.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One interesting stat. In just under 4 years, 1.9 million private sector jobs have been created under the Coalition Government. That compares to 1.4 million private sector jobs created under Labour from 1997 until their high point of private sector employment in June 2008.
  • SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think that will stop Labour from the winning the next election, no matter how better things get.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    low unemployment is not what the public are after. So making a big deal of it won't matter.

People want personal things, i.e. a job that pays well and gives them some personal satisfaction. Holidays, a home they own, a nice car, nice food, good health... All that stuff, how are the coalition doing there?

If what this government is doing was what the general public are into then it would be the Conservatives with a 6point lead.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic news.
    The number of those not in full-time paid employment has fallen by 77,000.
    Or are they using a different definition of employment?
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What this government have done is given some businesses what they want, which is cheap labour.
    This tends to push down everyone's wages of course.

The idea that the public would cheer this is bizarre. Cheer austerity, cheer a decline in living standards, cheer a decline in job security?...

What sort of person thinks this is good news for the man/woman on the street? You would have to be seriously out-of-touch.

Seriously out-of-touch politicians don't get re-elected.
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Poor Ed. Not only is the economy recovering, but he's been taking driving lessons from Harriet. http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/16/ed-balls-police-investigation-collision-parked-car
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    One interesting stat. In just under 4 years, 1.9 million private sector jobs have been created under the Coalition Government. That compares to 1.4 million private sector jobs created under Labour from 1997 until their high point of private sector employment in June 2008.
    That includes private sector jobs created by the stroke of a pen. Like the Coalition reclassifying educational bodies as private sector, reduced public sector employment by 196,000 and simultaneously increased private sector employment by 196,000. And it also includes the private sector jobs created by selling the banks back to the private sector. When Labour took over the banks private sector employment fell by about 200,000 and public sector employment simultaneous increased by about 200,000. As the Coaltion has sold the banks back to the private sector that has reduced public sector employment and increased private sector employment. Not all the jobs are new, hundreds of thousands are pre-existing jobs that have been transfered from public sector to private sector.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has the thread already gone from good news, to LAbour supporters saying it is the wrong type of employment yet. Similar to how it is always the wrong type of growth...
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Fantastic news.
    The number of those not in full-time paid employment has fallen by 77,000.
    Or are they using a different definition of employment?

It includes part time, zero hours and those who have registered with HMRC as self employed.

In terms of the public/private balance, it includes where former public sector jobs have been outsourced.
  • tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When are interest rates rising ? Now we are under the 7% threshold the BOE should be raising them as per their policy
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    More good news along with the fall in inflation and rising wages.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tony321 wrote: »
    When are interest rates rising ? Now we are under the 7% threshold the BOE should be raising them as per their policy

There policy was never to raise them when it got under 7%. It was an indicator that they might change, which they wont.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

No that's not the plan. The plan is to consider a rate change when the rate falls below 7%.

Source: What Carney said in a recent interview.
    Forum Member

The policy was not to raise them when unemployment went below 7% but not to consider it until it does. As it is the inflation figures mean that there is no great pressure to raise them just yet.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »

What are the odds that we will have under 6% by time of next years general election?

Why would "a Labour supporter" not think that more people in work was a good thing?
    although it would be interesting to see a breakdown of how many of these jobs are:
    outside London and the south east,
    permanent full time jobs,
    part-time jobs,
    temporary jobs,
    NMW wage low paid jobs (in which the majority of workers still depend heavily on in-work benefits)
    Zero hours contract jobs,
    Self employment jobs,

Also there are many people who see the slow improvement in the statistics as being despite this government and not because of them,

It's quite evident in the almost static opinion polls that the public as a whole aren't seeing or feeling this 'improvement' that the Tories are so desperate to convince us is real.
  • CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The underlying figures show a rise in self employment again.
    Given how I made my money, I'm never going to suggest that going it alone is a bad idea, but I know with absolute certainty, having seen it happen, that unemployed are being directed to start up their own business - window cleaning being a popular suggestion- with the promise that tax credits will deal with any shortfall in income should they struggle.

My worry here is that not everyone is suited to running a business, and if as I fear it's seen as a way to show progress it is really just kicking the can down the road.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Interest rates now need to go up. Isn't that what Mark said?

Straight up to 4% should do for starters, although I'd prefer to see it set at least to 5%.
    Forum Member
    The underlying figures show a rise in self employment again.
    Given how I made my money, I'm never going to suggest that going it alone is a bad idea, but I know with absolute certainty, having seen it happen, that unemployed are being directed to start up their own business - window cleaning being a popular suggestion- with the promise that tax credits will deal with any shortfall in income should they struggle.

My worry here is that not everyone is suited to running a business, and if as I fear it's seen as a way to show progress it is really just kicking the can down the road.

Trouble is you'd end up with more cleaners than windows.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »

Straight up to 4% should do for starters, although I'd prefer to see it set at least to 5%.

Zero chance of that happening. There would be carnage in the mortgage markets. Or, maybe that's what you'd like to see happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's quite evident in the almost static opinion polls that the public as a whole aren't seeing or feeling this 'improvement' that the Tories are so desperate to convince us is real.

All opinion polls show a narrowing of the gap between Labour and Conservatives. All polls are showing the public are growing more confident with the economy. All polls show Cameron/Osborne as being more peoples choice than Miliband/Balls.

Sort of blows what you're saying out of the water.
    Forum Member

Have you got a mortgage?

A rise from 0.5% to 4% is not only never going to happen - it would be crazy, just on inflationary grounds (just wait until you see what that does to what you pay on a mortgage) - it will go up slowly but given the inflation figures - this is not going to happen soon - with inflation going down there is no evidence of over-heating in the economy. Now should inflation go up - then we might see it.
  • J LeninJ Lenin Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bet you they don't but if the Tories win the next election - unlikely - interest rates will go up immediately.
    Forum Member
    Have you got a mortgage?

No.

It's time savers were rewarded.