Options

The SYTYCD US thread (Seasons 1-6)

Hi all :)

So i thought it might be nice to have a thread for any viewers of the US series.

This could include discussion of any previous season (up to 6). Who you like, who you don't, Favourite dance, choreographer, couple etc.

Obviously the show isn't broadcast in the UK so people will be at different paces in viewing them, so for some this thread may contain spoilers.

Have Fun and Play Nice! :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll start us off... ;)

The first season i watched was 3 so i am particularly fond of a few of those dancers.

I loved Dominic and Sabra together, he was always funny and they looked really good together - Loved the Ne-Yo "Make it Work" Hip Hop dance.

Other fave dancers from that year were Lacey, Pasha, Hok and Neil.

Loved Sabra and Neil's piece to "Sweet Dreams are Made of This" with the table.

As i'm sure many of you know, Lacey is now on DWTS, along with Dimitri and Chelsie from other seasons, Hok and Dominic are part of Quest Crew along with Ryan from season1.

There have been other crossovers with DWTS including Pasha and Anya appearing together and Artem Chigvinsev who was on the latest season with the regular Pros.

Now you go... :)
  • Options
    westlifefan123westlifefan123 Posts: 4,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The season I started watching was Season 6 and for me the stand out dancer on that season has to be Jakob - he danced with so much emotion and power and grace.
    Love love love LOVE him to pieces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    He is one of the BEST dancers EVER on SYTYCD history and I'm not joking either!!!

From Hayley
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved US So You Think You Can Dance, and was gutted when it stopped appearing on UK tv. Some awesome dancers! First series I saw had fab girl called Melody in the final, but she was beaten by a boy who's name escapes me, but I would travel the "Pond" to go and see him dance!

And who could ever forget Travis and Benji? Thought Travis the (technically) better dancer, but as viewers were asked to vote for their "favourite" dancer, I wasn't surprised Benji won. His cousin Heidi was great as well.

Loved Sabra as well. She said she had only been dancing 2(?) years, but surely she must have been doing something like gymnastics beforehand to be so flexible.

And Mary Murphy! Her scream was so dreadful that it almost became endearing! And every dancer wanted her to scream for them! And what was it she used to say - "Hot tramelee train" --- whatever that is, it was a great saying!

LOVELY LOVELY LOVELY show.
  • Options
    Philly1234Philly1234 Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the Hot Tamale Train. A hot tamale (Mexican food) being an old fashioned term for a good looking/very sexy person.

Personally, I got tired of her screaming and their blatant favoritism (especially when it came to Twitch over Mark in Season 4, which I never got). I still think Danny from Season 3 was the best dancer they'd had on the show, but their push to get a female winner won out. I haven't watched since Season 4.

I noticed Nigel has made up a stupid nickname for himself, too, I guess to compete with Simon Cowell? Yeah, good luck with that.
  • Options
    maltipommaltipom Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    I noticed Nigel has made up a stupid nickname for himself, too, I guess to compete with Simon Cowell? Yeah, good luck with that.

Do you mean 'Nasty' Nigel, because the UK press dubbed him that when he was on the forerunner of the 'Idol' shows, 'PopStars' back in 2000/01, I think. Certainly before Simon Cowell saw the light of tv 'reality' day.
  • Options
    Philly1234Philly1234 Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, I did not know that. Well, he's still not as good at it, even though he tries hard : )

I personally like the Australian version, they seem to keep their agendas in check better. Although now they have a couple of seasons under their belts, that may change.
  • Options
    maltipommaltipom Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    Sorry, I didn't know where else to put this link. It's the group dance to Blackbird from the Australian version. A 'Fossiesque' type number that I've been trying to find for ages. Love it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    I loved US So You Think You Can Dance, and was gutted when it stopped appearing on UK tv. Some awesome dancers! First series I saw had fab girl called Melody in the final, but she was beaten by a boy who's name escapes me, but I would travel the "Pond" to go and see him dance!

And who could ever forget Travis and Benji? Thought Travis the (technically) better dancer, but as viewers were asked to vote for their "favourite" dancer, I wasn't surprised Benji won. His cousin Heidi was great as well.

Loved Sabra as well. She said she had only been dancing 2(?) years, but surely she must have been doing something like gymnastics beforehand to be so flexible.

And Mary Murphy! Her scream was so dreadful that it almost became endearing! And every dancer wanted her to scream for them! And what was it she used to say - "Hot tramelee train" --- whatever that is, it was a great saying!

LOVELY LOVELY LOVELY show.

Nick Lazzarini won the first season :) He and Melody were (/are) best friends. And Sabra had only been dancing for four years!

I have watched all seasons of the US, Australian and Canadian shows :) I am not so fond of the UK version, I don't know why but I am not really getting into it. It seems a bit like they're not putting much effort into it, I don't know why.

I do not like the new (s6) stage. I hope it goes back to the old one. It feels more boxed in, I miss the freedom - also it's darker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't watched any of S6 yet but is the stage similar to what we have on the UK one?

I'd love to watch all the shows frm Canada, Australia etc but since none of them are on TV it's a matter of getting them 'online' ;)

Also the time factor... only so many hrs in a day!

Anyone have any tips on where to see the other versions of the show?

I don't even think Fox do an official On Demand/Catch Up version of the US show on their site! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maltipom wrote: »
    Sorry, I didn't know where else to put this link. It's the group dance to Blackbird from the Australian version. A 'Fossiesque' type number that I've been trying to find for ages. Love it!

Here's fine :) Nice to see new dances, whichever version of the show they're from!

I like that the set looks like the US original one, wish ours did :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only saw a couple of US series but my favourites have been Neil, Sabra and Russell (I just love his face and the way he took everything on!)
  • Options
    pavierpavier Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For anyone who hasn't seen any of the US shows, I've just been flicking through the Sky channels and they're re-running season three, currently on Living+1 channel 113.
    I think we're at the early audition stages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pavier wrote: »
    For anyone who hasn't seen any of the US shows, I've just been flicking through the Sky channels and they're re-running season three, currently on Living+1 channel 113.
    I think we're at the early audition stages.

Was just coming here to post that! :)

This is the firts season i saw, it hooked me in.

It looks like Living are showing 2 episodes every Sunday at 1 and 2pm. (It's 9 and 10 am on the 14th Feb though)

I wish they would just buy the rights to the later seasons too, i think they have them for season 1 because i saw repeats of that on Trouble ages ago but they only ever seem to show season 3 over and over on Living.

I also think it'd be good if 'Watch' showed the more recent seasons of the US show on a Friday night like they do with Dancing with The Stars as a kind pf companion to Stricty.