What are your views on giving blood?

guttridgeguttridge Posts: 1,884
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What are your views on giving blood? I think it is a good thing. I'm giving blood again next month. I usually give blood every two months. it's a good think to do? How often do you give blood?

Comments

• FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should always give blood.

At least you are doing a good thing as opposed to a bad thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't because of the medication I take. My wife won't because she hates needles.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to be able to give blood but was told I can't, due to having once had a blood transfusion.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    I don't weigh enough sadly or I would
  • Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm up to 62 donations now. Is it a good thing to do? Yup. There was one of those 24 hours in A&E/ how to save the NHS in a day/random excuse for showing operations at teatime programmes on the other day, and a young child was being operated on. I couldn't see it clearly, but I think the label on the blood they were using is my group. Shows in graphic detail why I do it. I'll keep going until they stop me. Just glad I can pay it forward.

Edit - I think it's normally 3 or 4 times a year for men nowadays.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bad thing to do. I used to give blood but don't any more.
    * one of these statements is true.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i`ve tried three times but never made it past a quick lie down:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I keep booking appointments (or trying to) I have managed to give about 12 times I think.

Last time I actually got an appointment, they phoned me to cancel.

I have written in to complain, *as and* when I go, the staff are not exactly friendly...... I'm there to help, they're getting paid to be there!
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't most people think it's a good thing to do?
    I've never heard of anyone say they actively think it's a bad thing to do, anyway.

That said, I suppose that Jehovah's Witnesses would take a dim view of it. But seeing as they also take a dim view of receiving blood transfusions, at least it's a dimly balanced view.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it's a good thing to do.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a great thing to do well done to everyone who does it. I wish I could but blood clotting disorder means I can't.

My father did it for over 40 years was very proud of that.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone who is able to should try to give blood. I've given blood countless times in the past and it always makes me feel good to know that I could be saving a lot of lives.
  • BZRBZR Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if you can, its a really nice thing to do, however I don't weigh enough.
  • Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to work for the NHS and I was always being asked to give blood but I didn't because the nurse always had problems finding a vein in my arm. I usually ended up with several bruises and a sore arm if I had to have a blood test.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I would love to do it but can't due to medical issues
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be happy to but can't. Due to a blood transfusion in the 80's I might have something nasty just waiting to be unleashed!
  • Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,041
    Forum Member
    I think it's a good thing to do. It doesn't cost you anything except a bit of time 3 times a year. I gave about 53 times I think and I would still do so now, but I can't do it any longer because of health problems.
  • ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a very, very good thing to do. I have received a blood transfusion when I needed it. I can't actually give it though for medical reasons,
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it's a good thing. You'll never get me doing it though, thanks to a humungous fear of injections. I'm fine with the needle, but as soon as I know it's got to go in me, nope. No, no, no.

My dad used to give blood very regularly when I was little.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to because I am a rare blood group. But now my medications rule me out.
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I used to give blood regularly - haven't done for years now though.I live a bit out in the sticks and don't drive - if I found a place that was convenient to get to I'd certainly start doing it again.

It's nice to think that potentially you may save a life (indirectly) or assist someone with health problems.
  • Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    I'm a blood donor and find it frustrating that only 4% of the population give blood. Anyone who gives blood should be proud of the fact. OP I am guessing you don't live in the UK? Here male donors must give the minimum interval of 12 weeks, for women it's 16 weeks.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    guttridge wrote: »
    What are your views on giving blood? I think it is a good thing. I'm giving blood again next month. I usually give blood every two months. it's a good think to do? How often do you give blood?

I'd like to, as it is an important and vital service, but as I'm completely scared and paranoid of needles, I have never done so, up to now.
  • Tamryn29Tamryn29 Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I give blood about twice a year. It frustrates me that so few people do it, understandable in the case of those with medical issues which prevent donation but i wish more who are able to would do so. I try and get friends to come with me whenever i go, and have only been successful once.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    I'd like to, as it is an important and vital service, but as I'm completely scared and paranoid of needles, I have never done so, up to now.

It's easier if you don't look at the needle at any stage, just look in another direction and focus on something and ask them not to tell you what they're doing, if that's any help - that's if you're able to actually get there depending how bad your nerves are.