PC Freezing

Got a issue on a friends pc which freezes alot and has to be restarted then it will freeze again.

So far I have tried.
Took the GFX card out and ran it with onboard GFX and PC was fine and never froze even ran memtest86 for 12 hrs and no issues.

Put a new GFX card in and pc started freezing again.

Anyone got any ideas I am thinking psu issue but not sure

Comments

• ShimanoShimano Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could be PSU, or graphics card slot may have a dodgy contact.
    Try a new PSU maybe.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are the specs of the PC. Does the graphics card require a separate power connection, some do? If so is that connected?

And it might be the graphics card itself or a dodgy driver for the card. The easiest thing to try initially is to go to the graphics card maker's website and download the latest set of drivers. Clear out the old ones and install the new ones.

If that doesn't make any difference then see if you can try a different graphics card, either the same model or a similar spec, in the machine. If that causes it to freeze then it might be the PSU. But if a different card works fine then chances are the original card is faulty.

You have to be methodical and work through the options one by one to track down the real cause of the problem. Only then start to fix it. No point swapping the PSU if the graphics card is knackered as the PC will just continue freezing. So fix the bits that are broke not the bits that ain't :D
  • -Batman--Batman- Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    What are the specs of the PC. Does the graphics card require a separate power connection, some do? If so is that connected?

And it might be the graphics card itself or a dodgy driver for the card. The easiest thing to try initially is to go to the graphics card maker's website and download the latest set of drivers. Clear out the old ones and install the new ones.

If that doesn't make any difference then see if you can try a different graphics card, either the same model or a similar spec, in the machine. If that causes it to freeze then it might be the PSU. But if a different card works fine then chances are the original card is faulty.

You have to be methodical and work through the options one by one to track down the real cause of the problem. Only then start to fix it. No point swapping the PSU if the graphics card is knackered as the PC will just continue freezing. So fix the bits that are broke not the bits that ain't :D

Thanks for the reply.
    I took old card out uninstalled drivers and ran it on the onboard hd3000 installed drivers for it and PC was running sweet.

Uninstalled drivers for hd3000 and I put a different GFX card in that I know works fine and installed drivers for that card.

PC started freezing again, so it froze on GFX card but fine using onboard but freezing on replacement card.
    PC doesn't use power to the GFX card.

PC is a Acer specs

Q8400
    ATI 2600xt original card
    Replaced with ATI 6450
    4GB of Ram

It was freezing while playing facebook games so nothing to much strain on the specs

Ty for any help
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Batman- wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    I took old card out uninstalled drivers and ran it on the onboard hd3000 installed drivers for it and PC was running sweet.

Uninstalled drivers for hd3000 and I put a different GFX card in that I know works fine and installed drivers for that card.

PC started freezing again, so it froze on GFX card but fine using onboard but freezing on replacement card.
    PC doesn't use power to the GFX card.

PC is a Acer specs

Q8400
    ATI 2600xt original card
    Replaced with ATI 6450
    4GB of Ram

It was freezing while playing facebook games so nothing to much strain on the specs

Ty for any help
    There is a possibility it's a motherboard fault but that is probably the option of last resort :eek:

I think the next step is a PSU swap to see if that sorts it. Might be worth going for a higher power one than the one currently fitted. Not impossible that the standard fit one is under specc'ed. Especially if the PC has been modified since purchase, eg adding extra drives cards etc.

Won't do any harm using a higher power PSU and gives you some leeway for future expansion. Plus the PSU is likely to be a bit less stressed than a lower power one working at full capacity.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try downloading a Linux live CD/DVD and seeing how it runs on that.
    If it freezes using that then it's a hardware issue, it it runs fine then it's most likely a driver issue.
  • ShimanoShimano Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shimano wrote: »
    Could be PSU, or graphics card slot may have a dodgy contact.
    Try a new PSU maybe.

:cool: